Herb Dean Failed His Job Tonight

Did Herb Dean Fail His Job?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you think he was intelligently defending himself though? That's the question. He was hit almost 450 times by hard strikes, and wobbled multiple times. Even Dana "part of the gig" white said it should have been stopped and actually went to Kattar's corner to voice his opinion on it mid fight. Only MMA fans argue stupid shit like this. It should have been stopped
If you go off strike percentage per round, his defence was on paper better in round 5 than round 4, 59% of attempted strikes hit him in round 5 and 73% in round 4, however Kattar also had more output in round 4 (his worst round) landing 34 strikes in round 4 out of 71 attempted, his busiest round for attempted offence out of all 5.
So you could use those numbers to make an argument that the round he arguably should have been stopped in was his most aggressive round and that the signs of improved defence in round 5 show that he still was intelligently defending(He actually did better in round 5 than round 2).
Of course this is not the be all and end all, but it's certainly something.
<Fedor23>

Last edited:
Well alarming that the "best" (using that ironically) ufc ref can still get this so wrong so often.

Regardless if kattar was defending himself and returning later off and on, there we're several times where he was just standing there absorbing blows. In boxing this would have been called in the 3rd.

To top that off, herb has been slow to stop fights many times in the past couple years, and i think moving forward it's a going to lead to somebody getting serious brain damege.

I don’t know that I agree, it seems to me like being a ref is a thankless job that defines the expression, Damned if you do, Damned if you don’t..
We sit in the audience making judgements on a guy who is standing inches away, and has been in the fight game at the highest level for years, yet we all know better, sitting at home in our living rooms , it just doesn’t seem logical..

Referees don't - and never should - stop fights because they don't want fighters to crash their government issued ATVs while working security. Referees stop fights - and should stop fights - because fighters aren't intelligently defending themselves. Period. Anything beyond that isn't - and shouldn't be - within the purview of refereeing. Referees aren't - and shouldn't be - in the business of deciding what would be best for fighters 40 years down the road, while fans aren't - and shouldn't be - in the business of deciding how grown ass adults who have freely chosen to devote their lives to athletics should conduct themselves in and/or out of competition.
To the 146:

tenor.gif

To the 239: Bravo for still retaining your balls. At times, I actually yelled at DC through the TV to shut the fuck up, and I was commanding Herb Dean to move the fuck away from Holloway and Kattar. We all do realize/remember that this is the Ultimate Fighting Championship, right? These guys are warriors. If they wanted to quit, they'd quit. If their corner wanted them to quit, they'd throw in the towel. If they weren't intelligently defending themselves, the ref would step in. None of these scenarios applied to last night. So how about we stop helicopter parenting grown ass adults who have chosen to devote their lives to being more hardcore than any of us lucky viewers will ever be able to fathom and either shut the fuck up and watch or shut the fuck up and change the channel?

The pussification of American sports has reached really unfortunate heights if we're now at the point where we Triple H gif our way through epic throwdowns like this instead of jumping for joy and thanking the Just Bleed God for allowing us to witness such extraordinary badassery. (For comparison, watch the excellent hockey documentary Ice Guardians and watch the legendary enforcers all down to a man answer instantly the question "If you could go back would you do it again?" with an emphatic Stone Cold-style "Hell yeah!") So many epic fights wouldn't be epic if the fighters weren't given the chance to show their mettle, and so many fighters wouldn't be the legends that they are if they weren't given the chance to showcase their incredible heart and toughness.

Long story short: Let 'em bang, bro.

<{JustBleed}>
I think that’s a very dated mentality. This was an extreme fight, that produced extrodinary circumstances. Normally, I’m on your side. I agree that in most cases fans tend to over react. I don’t think this is one. The majority of fans on this site felt the towel should have been thrown in, and about 1/3 felt the ref mishandled the fight and should have called it. It has nothing to do with testicular fortitude or the “pussification” of sports.

This is a blood sport, and people get seriously hurt. I accept that. What I don’t accept is a fighter whos leaned up against a fence unable to support their own weight getting slapped repeatedly over and over with heavy shots. What I don’t support is recklessness. This was reckless.

Yeah. You're being out voted two to one.
How's that small minority?
I under estimated the separation of corner and ref. I think had this been angled as “someone should have stopped the fight, whether it was the corner or ref” I would have more support. Almost 60% of sherdoggers were voting in favor of the corner throwing in the towel. And about 1/3 is voting that it was mishandled by a ref. This are significant numbers and it warrants a serious conversation.

I didn’t see the fight so I don’t know if this already happened but it might help to have a doctor check between rounds. Not sure what the protocol is when there’s no big cut/foul/etc.

I have to disagree, Herb has made some blunders before but this wasn’t so bad. The corner is also responsible. We gotta put blame on the corners. The corners know their fighters better than a ref. A ref can miss shit. Herb does it all the time, either stopping a fight too early or too late, he’s known for this. He’s never been a good ref. Yet he gets all this praise, he only gets the praise for his longevity, but he was never a good ref. He shouldn’t be reffing main events.

Ok bullshittttt, herb has made errors lately but he has been a solid ref throughout his time. Remember sylvia/mir?

Herb has been ruining careers for over half a decade now. He isn’t good. This is what he does.

That is not his one and only job. His job is to enforce the rules and maintain order inside the cage. At no point did Kattar get knocked down or turn his back to Max. He still threw strikes back and looked for ways to win. This "protect the fighters bullshit" is something Joe Rogan or some other dipshit conjured. The onus is more on the fighter's corner than the ref.
I agree with this
Could Herb have stopped it, ofcourse however Kattar was responding to him and firing back.
kattar's corner though, their main job is to ensure their own fighter's good health and winnability
If Nick can throw in the towel, I don't get any other corner seeing such a beatdown and not throwing it in

I am all for 'early rather than late' stoppages...so I would not have had a problem with Herb stopping it, even though I voted no to the poll.

I would be curious to hear Herb's thoughts...but I think that it is asking a lot for a ref to stop a fight when a fighter is still standing, defending, not turning/running, and is throwing strikes. I think if Dean had something really tangible to go on, like Kattar taking a knee or even just turning away on the fence, then he might have stepped in.

Tough call, but not quite 'failed in his job', IMHO...but I'm not super confident in that position. It was tough to watch...and those body shots...damn.

after watching it I would of called it during the 4th.

I don’t want Kattar to end up intellectually ravaged to a point where he’s crashing his government issued ATV while working security in an El Paso wall-mart. His only refuge at night found in a half rack of Hershey chocolate flavored yuengling and a Scratched copy of FIFA 97’
I’m not like that anymore again.

How do you think he was intelligently defending himself though?

Constantly moving his feet and his head, blocking and slipping shots, returning fire including landing big shots. A dude got his ass kicked in a cage fight. It's a sad day for combat sports when that becomes a "Stop the Presses!" occurrence.

He was hit almost 450 times by hard strikes, and wobbled multiple times.

"Wobbled?" Please tell me that you're kidding. In no universe should being wobbled be grounds for stopping a fight. If it were, Don Frye wouldn't have beaten Tank Abbott, Fedor wouldn't have beaten Fujita, Nogueira wouldn't have beaten Tim Sylvia, Cheick Kongo wouldn't have beaten Pat Barry, Frankie Edgar wouldn't have beaten Gray Maynard. So many epic fights wouldn't have been epic and so many legends wouldn't have been given the opportunity to stage unforgettable comebacks.

For the sake of argument, if we follow this position down the logical track, why not have it be like old school point karate and just judge who would most likely win if they were really allowed to fight? Or hell, why even have them fight at all? Why not just go with who is most likely to win on paper? That'd definitely be the safest option...

Even Dana "part of the gig" white said it should have been stopped

And Dana's never wrong about anything ever, right?

[Dana] actually went to Kattar's corner to voice his opinion on it mid fight.

And both Kattar and his corner elected to continue. The end.

Only MMA fans argue stupid shit like this.

giphy.gif

Dude, these fighters go into the battle knowing what's up. Kattar was still a killer even in the 4th and 5th. He was still throwing bombs back. There was a few times where I thought he might actually pull it off and land a big punch. Did he get his ass kicked, yes.....
Okay, here's an different example, should the ref have stopped the fight between rory mac and Nate Diaz just because rory was rag dolling Nate with his wrestling? He clearly wasn't intelligently defending himself from a wrestling stand point.

It's also on his corner to deal with this situation. I think you may have a misunderstanding of the refs roll in a fight. Hockey is my favourite sport and I swear it's people like you(dont know you at all) that have called for a decrease in fighting and are taking away great aspects of it.

This is the fight game, kattar isn't a child and knows what hes doing along with his corner. Long story short, if you can't handle the violence shut the TV off...

4KIWtM6.gif

I think that’s a very dated mentality.

Fair enough. And I think that yours is a very soft mentality.

This was an extreme fight, that produced extrodinary circumstances.

No it wasn't and no it didn't. A dude got his ass kicked and the ref allowed him to fight through the ass kicking. This is the opposite of either extreme or extraordinary.

The majority of fans on this site felt towel should have been thrown in

This is a very different argument. What the corner should've done and what the ref should've done are literally worlds apart.

It has nothing to do with testicular fortitude or the “pussification” of sports.

Actually, it does. Your claim that mine is a "dated" mentality implies that times have changed. Indeed, they have, and in my opinion for the worse. Hence my argument regarding the pussification of sports. Ten years ago, there wouldn't have been a single thread debating the non-stoppage. To your mind, that's a bad thing. To my mind, on the contrary, the fact that today there's so much whining is a bad thing.

What I don’t accept is a fighter whos leaned up against a fence unable to support their own weight getting slapped repeatedly over and over with heavy shots.

Not only is this hyperbole - Kattar could support himself just fine - it leaves out the fact that Kattar was firing back with - and landing - bombs of his own. It's honestly not even a question of whether or not he was intelligently defending himself: He was literally still fighting!

Constantly moving his feet and his head, blocking and slipping shots, returning fire including landing big shots. A dude got his ass kicked in a cage fight. It's a sad day for combat sports when that becomes a "Stop the Presses!" occurrence.

"Wobbled?" Please tell me that you're kidding. In no universe should being wobbled be grounds for stopping a fight. If it were, Don Frye wouldn't have beaten Tank Abbott, Fedor wouldn't have beaten Fujita, Nogueira wouldn't have beaten Tim Sylvia, Cheick Kongo wouldn't have beaten Pat Barry, Frankie Edgar wouldn't have beaten Gray Maynard. So many epic fights wouldn't have been epic and so many legends wouldn't have been given the opportunity to stage unforgettable comebacks.

For the sake of argument, if we follow this position down the logical track, why not have it be like old school point karate and just judge who would most likely win if they were really allowed to fight? Or hell, why even have them fight at all? Why not just go with who is most likely to win on paper? That'd definitely be the safest option...

And Dana's never wrong about anything ever, right?

And both Kattar and his corner elected to continue. The end.

giphy.gif

4KIWtM6.gif

Fair enough. And I think that yours is a very soft mentality.

No it wasn't and no it didn't. A dude got his ass kicked and the ref allowed him to fight through the ass kicking. This is the opposite of either extreme or extraordinary.

This is a very different argument. What the corner should've done and what the ref should've done are literally worlds apart.

Actually, it does. Your claim that mine is a "dated" mentality implies that times have changed. Indeed, they have, and in my opinion for the worse. Hence my argument regarding the pussification of sports. Ten years ago, there wouldn't have been a single thread debating the non-stoppage. To your mind, that's a bad thing. To my mind, on the contrary, the fact that today there's so much whining is a bad thing.

Not only is this hyperbole - Kattar could support himself just fine - it leaves out the fact that Kattar was firing back with - and landing - bombs of his own. It's honestly not even a question of whether or not he was intelligently defending himself: He was literally still fighting!
What’s your measurement for “no longer intelligently defending”. Is it an elapsed time wi no strikes thrown back, or foot movement while absorbing blows? Is there a physical tell? I’d it a number of strikes absorbed? Are you waiting for one big “wow” moment? Curious on how you measure that. While admittedly Kattar was active through out the night there were moments where he was not. I guess one of our differences lies in the fact that I my threshold for “intelligent defense” was not met in a specific moment in which hale was simply covering, and absorbing blow after blow with little head movement, and no return fire.

Ok, I can agree with that. I see it as “dated” and you see it as “soft”. We’re not going to agree there. I watch this as a sport, and not as a contest of manliness or damage. I’m not interested in seeing someone beaten to this extent, and while admittedly Kattar had a shot or two that could have won the fight in round 5, they were hail marry punches with no set up. His opponent didn’t even have to look at him at one point (the showboating) that’s how badly Kattar was beat.

Do you feel Kattar had a legitimate chance of winning after round 3, and to what extent? 25% chance? 10%? What are we talking about here? 5%? For me it was probably under a 10% chance of winning by the time round 4 started. I don’t see an issue with being more liberal with stopping fights when guys are in spots as bad as the spots Kattar ended up in through out the night.

But I agree, we also see premature stoppages that aren’t healthy for the sport either, and I’m not condoning the terrible stoppages. I guess at the end of the day I think he just got it wrong, and I can admit I’m in the minority at this point. But I do think there’s a much stronger argument that the fight should have been stopped by someone, ref, corner, I don’t care. And I wouldn’t rip on Kattar or his former for stopping this, I’d applaud it.

What’s your measurement for “no longer intelligently defending”. Is it an elapsed time wi no strikes thrown back, or foot movement while absorbing blows? Is there a physical tell? I’d it a number of strikes absorbed? Are you waiting for one big “wow” moment? Curious on how you measure that.

In my case, it's the same as Justice Potter Stewart's was for obscenity. If it's good enough for a supreme court justice, it's good enough for me.

What’s your measurement for “no longer intelligently defending”. Is it an elapsed time wi no strikes thrown back, or foot movement while absorbing blows? Is there a physical tell? I’d it a number of strikes absorbed? Are you waiting for one big “wow” moment? Curious on how you measure that.

If there were a sheet with a list of identifiable things and all refs had to do was consult the list and tally up the criteria then we wouldn't have arguments about this. The reason that refs are there is because judgment calls have to be made, and they have to be made on a case-by-case basis. In the case of Holloway/Kattar, as I have already said, this question should not even arise as Kattar was constantly moving and constantly firing back. He was never out of the fight.

Since you asked, though, for me personally the one out-and-out "tell" or "indicator" for a fighter no longer intelligently defending himself/herself is turtling up. Standing still for an extended period of time (which is of course subjective, hence the need for refs making judgment calls) absorbing a lot of big shots (which is also subjective, hence the need for refs making judgment calls), especially when you are out on your feet, or lying on the ground motionless for an extended period of time absorbing a lot of big shots, especially if you are visibly/audibly in pain, is an indication for the ref step in. For examples - and specifically examples featuring Herb Dean - I'd go to Nunes/Rousey for a good stoppage on the feet and GSP/Sherk for a good stoppage on the ground. Rousey had literally nothing to offer Nunes. She was out on her feet and she was literally only still standing because she was clinging to the fence. There was no need to let Nunes actually turn her lights out. It was game over. Sherk, meanwhile, was getting obliterated, to the point where GSP not only destroyed his nose but Sherk was letting out audible cries of pain while taking massive elbows. There was no need to let Sherk get beaten until he himself verbally or physically submitted or got his lights turned out. It was game over.

While admittedly Kattar was active through out the night there were moments where he was not.

But you can't pretend that the moments when he was active didn't exist. It's because there were moments of activity that the fight wasn't stopped. If he'd turtled up and had stopped actively fighting Holloway off, Dean would've stepped in. But he didn't, so he didn't. I'm not being glib here: It really is that simple.

Ok, I can agree with that. I see it as “dated” and you see it as “soft”. We’re not going to agree there. I watch this as a sport, and not as a contest of manliness or damage.

This is definitely an "agree to disagree" point. However, just to clarify, I watch MMA as a sport which is among other things a contest of manliness and damage. That is, I consider toughness and guts (or heart or balls or however you want to describe it) integral to the sport - integral to the athletes who compete in it and integral to the competition that I watch and enjoy as a viewer. Removing that element would amount to neutering the sport - or, for an alternative analogy, it would amount to removing the soul from the sport.

Seriously, Zebra Cheeks, do you get nothing out of watching Nogueira snatch victory from the jaws of defeat (as Bas memorably put it, "He will come back from the dead and submit you")? Do you get nothing out of watching Funaki refuse to stay down despite the punishing beating administered by Bas? Do you get nothing out of watching Don Frye flatten Ken Shamrock and bust his face open on the ground, only for Shamrock to survive, reverse Frye, and put him in a gruesome heel hook, only for Frye to put Shamrock in his own heel hook? Hell, do you get nothing out of watching Forrest Griffin and Stephan Bonnar give every last ounce of their balls, hearts, and souls?

For me, those experiences are what separates MMA from literally every other sport. Yes, it's thrilling watching Michael Jordan shoot the big shot with the game on the line with no time left on the clock. Yes, it's thrilling watching someone at the plate in the bottom of the ninth with two outs and a runner on third. But not even the most exciting thing in the history of sports can compare to watching two people step into a cage with nothing but their minds and their bodies who are willing to literally walk through Hell to get their hand raised.

The day that MMA loses this element is the day that it loses me as a fan.

Do you feel Kattar had a legitimate chance of winning after round 3, and to what extent? 25% chance? 10%? What are we talking about here? 5%? For me it was probably under a 10% chance of winning by the time round 4 started. I don’t see an issue with being more liberal with stopping fights when guys are in spots as bad as the spots Kattar ended up in through out the night.

Simply put, I think that Kattar had as much of a chance to win as Nog did against Tim, as Fedor did against Fujita, as Edgar did against Maynard. Fights don't - and should never - get stopped because it seems unlikely that a fighter will be able to pull out a win. That'd be utterly absurd. You play all four quarters in basketball because who the hell knows what's going to happen in the last two minutes? You play all three periods of hockey because who knows what's going to happen during that last-minute power play with the goalie pulled? And you fight from bell to bell because who knows what's going to happen in that last round?

I do think there’s a much stronger argument that the fight should have been stopped by someone, ref, corner, I don’t care.

You may not care, but you should. It's a big difference saying that the ref should've stopped it versus the corner. If you want there to be a large-scale reconceptualization of what it means to be in someone's corner, of what it means to have your fighter's best interest at heart, etc., fair enough. But that's a far cry from encouraging refs to just stop a fight whenever they feel that it's unlikely that a fighter will be able to win. That's insanity IMO.

And I wouldn’t rip on Kattar or his former for stopping this, I’d applaud it.

I wouldn't rip on him/them or applaud him/them. If a fighter says enough's enough, or if a corner says they've seen enough, that's their call. I have absolutely nothing to say on the subject. If a fighter and/or their teammates/coaches/family/what have you decides to call it a day, that's literally their call. But short of that, I don't want anyone else sticking their nose in unless absolutely necessary, as in the case of a fighter no longer intelligently defending himself/herself, in which case fighters should still be given the benefit of the doubt and should be allowed every opportunity to fight through whatever adversity they may face in a given fight.

I'm late to the party, just watched the fight. I think you're wrong TS. The ref shouldn't step in unless the fighter isn't intelligently defending himself. That never really happened in this right. The closest thing I saw to that was in round 4, when Katar started blindly winging haymakers to get Max to back off him. But even that is kind of iffy since his tactic actually worked.

I do however think his corner was kind of stupid for not throwing the towel in between 4 and 5. They were down 4 rounds and round for was a clear 10-8 round. Their fighter was battered, exhausted and obviously didn't have the pop on his strikers to spark Max at that point. They should have accepted the loss at that point and protected their fighter from taking further damage. That would have been the smart move for the longevity of his career anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back