• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jake Paul vs Askren / Boxing MEGA Discussion

Winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I didn't call it a MMA website or a Boxing website just stated you was in the boxing section yet your complaining that guys in the boxing section are saying MMA is inferior.

I'm sure if you went into the politics section and said all politics are rubbish they'd just say "get out the politics section" soooo if "No one wants to hear it" or if you don't want to hear it just simply don't come into the boxing section...your argument was stupid.
Except I didn't say that boxing was rubbish. If you read my earlier posts you would have seen that I said I respect the skills of boxers and the time they put into becoming elite strikers.
Again if you think boxing is better than MMA that's fine, but I don't see why you people feel the need to be such elitist assholes and shit on anything that isn't boxing. That's all I'm saying.

This is the traditional way to become a fighter

You win your fights on the amateur scene, you go pro, you make it to the big leagues, and hopefully get a shot in the UFC to hopefully winning a title

Spencer was a fighter.. A really good fighter with a ton of heart. Would have fought anybody/anytime.

Jake Paul is an entertainment fighter. He's not going to have that many fights realistically and he hand picks his fights. Contrast to Spencer, he's going to make a ton of money while he does fight so he will be able to leave and still make money when he leave's boxing.. On top of that, leave with his health.

Spencer Fisher made $73,000 a year for 7 years and left the sport with dementia. Brain injuries are common among pro fighters.

Jake Pauls second fight, he made over a million dollars fighting a basketball player while Spencer fisher barely made anything fighting Frankie Edgar.

Fighters should be taught to do their own marketing and not relying on their company to do the marketing for them. Not everybody is going to be great like GSP or Fedor. This way fighters can avoid getting paid nickels and dimes while fighting against world champion combat athletes

The reality is you only have so many fights your body can handle. It'd be good to see fighters maximize their money making and marketing oppurtunity every fight that they have, so they dont end up being crippled and poor at the end of their careers

For everybody hating on Jake Paul, just watch this video to see what the opposite approach tfight hes doing looks like

Jake has over 20 million subs at youtube and his young fans pay his bills no matter whst happens in boxing. The whole thing is just a sideshow for him even if quite profitable one. He has a team behind him that makes sure he always gets most out of his matches and picks the most fitting opponent. Heck he might end his boxing career undefeated.

Dude, don't use a true fighter who's sacrificed his body to combat sports to uphold or validate a piece of shit d-bag like Jake Paul.

Jake has over 20 million subs at youtube and his young fans pay his bills no matter whst happens in boxing. The whole thing is just a sideshow for him even if quite profitable one. He has a team behind him that makes sure he always gets most out of his matches and picks the most fitting opponent. Heck he might end his boxing career undefeated.

All I'm saying is, Jake put marketing first which a lot of fighters don't do.

Jake Paul made triple what Robert Whitaker made.

Its about the concept of doing your own marketing and not relying on a company.

Floyd Mayweather said the reason he makes as much money as he does is because he does his own promotion.

Spencer Fisher was one of my favorite fighters back in the day. I hate to see whats happened and if we can prevent things like this happening in the future thats what I'm trying raise awareness of.

The only way thats going to happen is if fighters understand business and how to actually make as much money as they possibly can while they are fighting so they do t have to fight well past their prime.

Thats the point I'm trying to make and I dont think that's a bad thing at all

All I'm saying is, Jake put marketing first which a lot of fighters don't do.

Jake Paul made triple what Robert Whitaker made.

Its about the concept of doing your own marketing and not relying on a company.

Floyd Mayweather said the reason he makes as much money as he does is because he does his own promotion.

Spencer Fisher was one of my favorite fighters back in the day. I hate to see whats happened and if we can prevent things like this happening in the future thats what I'm trying to do.

The only way thats going to happen is if fighters understand business and how to actually make as much money as they possibly can while they are fighting.

I dont think that's a bad thing at all

He has done his marketing way before his boxing career. He is a celebrity. If you want to know why he is so popular you have to go all the way to his hype house days, "it's everyday bro" and the fake rivalry with his bro.
Spencer Fisher just can't out of the blue decide thats it I'm going to be popular by marketing my own fights. Yeah he can try but it might not work out. Jake Paul is a trained actor since his disney days as a kid. He knows how to present himself. Everything has worked out well for him so far but without his "right place at the right time" controversies and his team he could have fallen to obscurity already.

But yeah nothing against promoting your own fights. It's just easier for some than the others.

He has done his marketing way before his boxing career. He is a celebrity. If you want to know why he is so popular you have to go all the way to his hype house days, "it's everyday bro" and the fake rivalry with his bro.
Spencer Fisher just can't out of the blue decide thats it I'm going to be popular by marketing my own fights. Yeah he can try but it might not work out. Jake Paul is a trained actor since his disney days as a kid. He knows how to present himself. Everything has worked out well for him so far but without his "right place at the right time" controversies and his team he could have fallen to obscurity already.

But yeah nothing against promoting your own fights. It's just easier for some than the others.

I do agree, it is easier than some than others.

But fighters aren't being taught how to promote themselves so things like this are still happening today. Fighters competing way past their prime just to pay their bills.

I've had lots of fights. Didn't make that much money. If I just kept going on without taking a step back I could of ended up like Spencer.

But now that I look at it, it would be good for fighters (especially younger fighters) to talk about this sort of stuff so they can get the most out of their career and not end up in a bad spot

I like annoying people who don't read the post and watch the video

No, you like annoying people who know e-celebs like Paul aren’t fighters and shouldn’t be posted about outside of whatever fortnight forum likes him the most.

No, you like annoying people who know e-celebs like Paul aren’t fighters and shouldn’t be posted about outside of whatever fortnight forum likes him the most.

I never said I liked Jake Paul. He is not a very good fighter.

But he's making more money than 99% of the fighters in the UFC and it would be a good thing to understand WHY this is happening so real fighters can get the most out of their career

For everybody hating on Jake Paul, just watch this video to see what the opposite approach tfight hes doing looks like

I've never seen a Jake Paul video, but I hope that are more watchable, and make more sense.

Does the maker of this video suffer from CTE? That would explain a lot...
I like annoying people who don't read the post and watch the video
What the post and the video have in common is being a mishmash of half-baked ideas (And to called "half-backed" and "ideas" is extremely generous, almost charitable) and using the stupidest example possible to justify it.

Last edited:
I've never seen a Jake Paul video, but I hope that are more watchable, and make more sense.

Does the maker of this video suffer from CTE? That would explain a lot...

What the post and the video have in common is being a mishmash of half-baked ideas (And to called "half-backed" and "ideas" is extremely generous, almost charitable) and using the stupidest example possible to justify it.

Spencer isn't the only example. There is Gary Goodridge, Diego Sanchez, Tim Sylvia, Matt Brown etc...

I can also name other examples of fighters who make bank on every fight they are in BECAUSE they are GREAT at marketing.

Fighting is a dangerous way to make a living, my point is, if you make the decision to be a prize fighter, learn the art of promotion, build your social media/youtube/podcast so you make money IN THE SPORT and have a good exit plan.

This post isn't to talk about what has happened to fighters in the past, its for up and coming fighters to learn from other people so they can make some money, keep their health in check and have a good exit strategy

If you think that is stupid, you are the one with brain damage.

Spencer Fisher was never going to have a Youtube channel with millions of subs or be good at marketing himself in any similar way because he just doesn't have that type of personality.

The guy in my av is an example of someone who does everything they possibly can to try and self-market but still isn't really a draw.

Spencer Fisher was never going to have a Youtube channel with millions of subs or be good at marketing himself in any similar way because he just doesn't have that type of personality.

The guy in my av is an example of someone who does everything they possibly can to try and self-market but still isn't really a draw.

They dont even have to on Jake Pauls level of promotion.

Stephen Thompson is doing a great job building his youtube channel while he is fighting, doing paid sponsorships, selling instructionals etc..

Mike Swick has a small podcast on youtube, but every video he does he has the ability to get more eyeballs on his gym in Thailand.

Its not just about blowing up to be a mega superstar, and selling out stadiums, its about building your well while you have the opportunity, so when you are done fighting you will still have the ability to make good money.

There are lots of great fighters out there who aren't doing any of this and its a missed opportunity

Spencer isn't the only example. There is Gary Goodridge, Diego Sanchez, Tim Sylvia, Matt Brown etc...
Example of what?CTE? Late retirement? Doing bad due to lack of self-marketing abilities.., All of the above?

I can also name other examples of fighters who make bank on every fight they are in BECAUSE they are GREAT at marketing.
Feel free to give to give us a bunch of figthers of the same generation that made bank in every fight thanks to their self-marketing aabilities, apart from Tito.

An, as it Tito's case, at least partially; when you scratch a bit, often behind those "GREAT at marketing" hides a well-studied strategy to push them by the promotion and their partners; especilly in those cases when identity politics/nacionalism are involved.

Fighting is a dangerous way to make a living, my point is, if you make the decision to be a prize fighter, learn the art of promotion, build your social media/youtube/podcast so you make money IN THE SPORT and have a good exit plan.

This post isn't to talk about what has happened to fighters in the past, its for up and coming fighters to learn from other people so they can make some money, keep their health in check and have a good exit strategy
While an overall good point, while hardly groundbreaking, (And abused by UFC shills that want to convince us that the associated cost of promotion has to fall on the shoulders of the fighters too), you chose the very worst example possible.

Fisher overachieved brutally. Chose to make a living out of his dangerous hobby fairly late, without prior credentials. A sport that not only didn't pay shit at the time,but it really wasn't a thing in his weightclass; struggled in the minors, and ended up becoming a very unlikely promotion's favourite. Fisher was one of Dana´s darlings, recieved more push than most, appeared in promotional material, was showered with locker-room bonuses, and pulled a reported 200.000 $ a year in sponsorship in his heyday, retired in the UFC (Not in any backyard affair ), and belonged to the small privileged circle fo ex-fighters that kept recieving a check from the UFC for doing nothing until the new owners arrived.

And he wasn't that bad at self-promotion. Back in the day the Social Network crap was in its infancy, but his best buddy made him a promotional doco “The Man in the Arena”. You can watch it in youtube.

That I suffer from cognitive impairment, it's undeniable. But I got myself double cards for expressing the wrong opinion bluntly, so I'm going to go away until they clear. I don't want to get cancelled. Take care.

Example of what?CTE? Late retirement? Doing bad due to lack of self-marketing abilities.., All of the above?

Feel free to give to give us a bunch of figthers of the same generation that made bank in every fight thanks to their self-marketing aabilities, apart from Tito.

An, as it Tito's case, at least partially; when you scratch a bit, often behind those "GREAT at marketing" hides a well-studied strategy to push them by the promotion and their partners; especilly in those cases when identity politics/nacionalism are involved.

While an overall good point, while hardly groundbreaking, (And abused by UFC shills that want to convince us that the associated cost of promotion has to fall on the shoulders of the fighters too), you chose the very worst example possible.

Fisher overachieved brutally. Chose to make a living out of his dangerous hobby fairly late, without prior credentials. A sport that not only didn't pay shit at the time,but it really wasn't a thing in his weightclass; struggled in the minors, and ended up becoming a very unlikely promotion's favourite. Fisher was one of Dana´s darlings, recieved more push than most, appeared in promotional material, was showered with locker-room bonuses, and pulled a reported 200.000 $ a year in sponsorship in his heyday, retired in the UFC (Not in any backyard affair ), and belonged to the small privileged circle fo ex-fighters that kept recieving a check from the UFC for doing nothing until the new owners arrived.

And he wasn't that bad at self-promotion. Back in the day the Social Network crap was in its infancy, but his best buddy made him a promotional doco “The Man in the Arena”. You can watch it in youtube.

Aside from Tito, there was also Yoshihiro Akiyama, Bas Rutten, Renzo Gracie and plenty of other fighters.

Seriously, there are so many fighters out there who are just fighting and not using the platform they have to evolve past fighting in their future.

Those three used the platform they were given in the MMA world to successfully launch other businesses and get other income streams indirectly through the sport. Its not just about making insane amounts of $$ every single fight, though it is a part of it. Everything has a ripple effect.

Jake Paul isn't a real fighter. I'm an ammy fighter with 2 fights so I guess I'm not a real fighter either. In fact, most people in my gym are ammys with less than 5 fights so none of us are real fighter. You can't be a real fighter until you fight for a major boxing title or in the UFC so sorry bellator cast-offs you aren't real fighters either.

The idiots saying JP isn't a real fighter are exposing themselves as people who never fought before and probably picked ben askew to win.

Back