News ‘Jacare’ Souza Released From UFC Contract After Submission Loss at UFC 262

But yet Cowboy and Weidman can continue piling up brain damage for the UFC.
Cowboy is fan favorite and one of the most famous fighters of all time to not win a title. Even my casual friends know who Cerrone is. Weidman was champ and has notoriety as guy that beat anderson.

I think a lot of it has to do with salary. The UFC releases a lot of these guys who are highly paid.

Surely there have to be examples of high profile white fighters getting cut no?

Jacare screwed Jacare

One of my favorite fighters ever and decided his glass chin and swinging was a better career path than being literally the best grappler in MMA

the fact that he lost fights after his peak proves that he was never good

Not surprising. He hasn’t looked great in a while and probably has a hefty salary. Expecting him to pop up in Bellator next.

I get the sentiment about letting go a great fighter like Jacare. But on the other side you have to credit the UFC for letting guys go that just can't compete at the top level anymore. Why take more damage and keep losing?? They let him go now, he can still make a choice to continue fighting elsewhere and sooner better than later.

Because we would all rather watch him fill in a card than the bullshit manlet and women fighters that will fight for 20k.

they could give him competitive fights against newcomers or other fighters his age. And they could pay him the 200k or whatever he gets a fight, and distribute a decent product.

Pretending the decision is about his health is pretty naive.

Come on, this is a reach haha. The guy clearly needs to retire, 41yo 0-4, second arm break in his career, it's not a crazy thing to do. I believe he also has one of those expensive contracts like Overeem and doesn't have a huge fanbase. I do think Weidman should be cut too, but his injury was freakier and would make for worse optics and he might have some sort of personal relationship with Dana. That doesn't mean that letting Jacare go is wrong.
Agreed. What else would happen? I suppose they could give him retirement package or something lol

Because we would all rather watch him fill in a card than the bullshit manlet and women fighters that will fight for 20k.

they could give him competitive fights against newcomers or other fighters his age. And they could pay him the 200k or whatever he gets a fight, and distribute a decent product.

Pretending the decision is about his health is pretty naive.
Id rather watch up and coming women and lightweights vs a shot 41 year oold dude, speak for yourself

That nasty break at his age seems like a career ender, but did the UFC have to handle it like this? Just tell him he's going to get released but keep it private. After he's healed up and can decide what he wants to do, disclose that he's obtained his release from the promotion. Seems like a much classier way to approach things for a guy who's had a long and great career. But maybe the UFC just doesn't care about such things.

Hes a good fighter but he was never good enough to sniff a title shot. he always fell short on his big fights, so he never broke through.

reminder:
only two fights ago Jacare went split decision with Blachowicz
Holy shit I forgot about that
It was in 2019, Jacare couldn't take down Jan even once and got outstruck easily as you can see in the picture below:
8yIxy9p.png

Split decision happened only because it was in Brazil and one of the judges must took "Uh vai morrer" too personally...

Cruel end for a legend they gave no respect for years.

guy imo beat Rockhold to become Strikeforce champ.
Another funny looking non-American thrown to the junkyard by fat grape Dana from his throne.
imagine thinking jacare won his fight against rockhold, cmon man hahahahahaha.

He's provided a good service, but he's in his 40s, losing his fights, getting hurt and injured (and is expensive). Time's rightfully up. These guys should be released on their 40th birthday as a duty of care

A fighter has to technically lose or violate contract terms (such as media obligations or code of conduct). Or commit a felony. So the UFC technically needs a reason, but between all those options it wouldn't be that hard to find a reason if you really wanted to.
Yes it would be hard.

Yeah, I'm curious to see if this means Jacare loses health insurance right away, or it has a grace period of a month or something. I wouldn't put it pass the UFC for the cut (which I have no issue with) to end his insurance coverage immediately even though he suffered a pretty nasty injury.
The insurance would cover the full injury. It doesn’t just end because he’s not under contract anymore.

Feel bad. But he is done. I’m just glad he got revenge on moose from the dream loss years ago.

Yeah, they've done this twice (accelerating the terms of the contract is the technical name of that I believe) to my knowledge. Leslie Smith and Diego Sanchez. It's not very common they do this.
Smith the fight got canceled because her rival missed weight iirc, but as she was being a pain to work with they just paid her, which made her even more upset LOL.

Back