Fear of heights shouldn't be a phobia.

I did the "ropes course" that military does, my legs shook uncontrolably as I climbed those logs and ladders.

Climbed mountains, forced myself to confront it many times.
I'm still just as scared of heights as I ever was in my 40s

Compared to something like the fear of potatoes, or fear of grass, which are obviously ridiculous, should these "phobias" be considered abnormal at all?
I'm not hip to the lingo but are you talking about pots? Because fatal pots overdose is absolutely a legitimate fear for anyone who shoots pots

I can watch youtube video's of people climbing on towers or factory chimneys and I get sweaty palms and want to look away. I think that's pretty irrational :confused:

Take this couple for instance:

I physically could not do this for any amount f money....I would need to hold on and close my eyes.....this just seems so stupid.

Holy shit! Where is that?

my wife refuses to ride cable cars and I’m always telling her they don’t fall

I think that's in Italy from the crash this year or last year.

It killed everyone in the cable car.

I did the "ropes course" that military does, my legs shook uncontrolably as I climbed those logs and ladders.

Climbed mountains, forced myself to confront it many times.
I'm still just as scared of heights as I ever was in my 40s
It was never the height. It's always the brain. Cognitive Behavioral theory is legit, but phobias aren't a thing you can always condition yourself against. It would be like stabbing out your eyes with straws, without guidance and support.

I'm terrified of becoming a fantasy.
YOUAREANIGHT MARE

Cant find the other thread on this but I dont see why certain fears especially heights is a phobia or even other ones like fear of sharks or sharp objects.

Of course you should be afraid of those things. Sharks attack and kill humans, a fall is dangerous, and sharp objects cut. If you arent afraid somewhat of these things theres something wrong.

Compared to something like the fear of potatoes, or fear of grass, which are obviously ridiculous, should these "phobias" be considered abnormal at all?
It shouldn't be classed as an irrational fear, but everyone is scared of heights.

I physically could not do this for any amount f money....I would need to hold on and close my eyes.....this just seems so stupid.

Same here. But a while back youtube recommended video's about Frank Dibnah, who was a steeplejack. Still gave me sweaty palms, but it was very interesting so I watched a bunch of them anyways.

In this video he explains how he climbs up the chimney's. He did that for a living and somewhere he says he usually has a pint while working. It's insane!

I used to work with a guy that would shake and get scared whenever he had to get on a ladder. Even a four foot ladder. His whole cognitive ability went out the window too. Once he had to change out an angle stop in a restroom he had to climb a ladder to shut off the valves. He only closed the valve like 1/8th of the way. He then proceeded to remove the angle stop and flooded the bathrooms and one of our ballrooms out. He called me frantically and I had to simply climb the ladder and shut the valve off.

I've got a weird phobia where underwater man-made objects kind of freak me out. Such as a shipwreck. I would never want to go scuba diving into a shipwreck. Or clean the underside of a boat. I don't even really like being up close to a large boat while I'm also in the water (or in a small boat, myself). Something about getting trapped under it, sucked down, etc.

No idea where this fear comes from.....I can't think of an experience in my life that would have caused it. I've never almost drowned, and I've always been a pretty good swimmer.
I’m the same. Anything associated with deep sea really creeps me out. Picture of the titanic etc make my skin crawl. Even rusted out old ships that are on a beach, creep me out.

I fucking hate these things too.

W1siZiIsInVwbG9hZHMvcGxhY2VfaW1hZ2VzL2JlOWE1YTRlOGM0YTQ1OGU1Yl85NTE3MDI3Mjk1XzA0ZTc0MGUyMjNfay5qcGciXSxbInAiLCJjb252ZXJ0IiwiIl0sWyJwIiwiY29udmVydCIsIi1xdWFsaXR5IDgxIC1hdXRvLW9yaWVudCJdLFsicCIsInRodW1iIiwiNzgweDUyMCMiXV0

It was never the height. It's always the brain. Cognitive Behavioral theory is legit, but phobias aren't a thing you can always condition yourself against. It would be like stabbing out your eyes with straws, without guidance and support.

YOUAREANIGHT MARE

Motherfucker... autocorrect can eat my ass.

That should read: I'm terrified of being a fatass.

I’m the same. Anything associated with deep sea really creeps me out. Picture of the titanic etc make my skin crawl. Even rusted out old ships that are on a beach, creep me out.

I fucking hate these things too.

W1siZiIsInVwbG9hZHMvcGxhY2VfaW1hZ2VzL2JlOWE1YTRlOGM0YTQ1OGU1Yl85NTE3MDI3Mjk1XzA0ZTc0MGUyMjNfay5qcGciXSxbInAiLCJjb252ZXJ0IiwiIl0sWyJwIiwiY29udmVydCIsIi1xdWFsaXR5IDgxIC1hdXRvLW9yaWVudCJdLFsicCIsInRodW1iIiwiNzgweDUyMCMiXV0
Are those apartments?

Back