News Gable Steveson turns down UFC's pathetic offer for WWE contract

GueseGuy

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
"After putting the world of combat sports and sports entertainment on alert Olympic champion Gable Steveson has decided to join Vince McMahon’s WWE on a multiyear deal (per ESPN’s Mike Coppinger).

After winning gold in Tokyo, in impressive fashion, the freestyle wrestling sent feelers out to both McMahon and UFC President Dana White. According to Marc Raimondi of ESPN Steveson was given an offer by the UFC.

Raimondi’s sources claim the UFC wanted Steveson to gain MMA experience on the regional circuit before appearing on Dana White’s Tuesday Night Contender Series, the show where fighters compete for White’s attention for the chance to earn an entry level UFC contract.

It’s not that surprising that Steveson opted to turn down the chance to make a guaranteed $10,000 per fight with the UFC. Financial details on Steveson’s deal with the WWE have not been released, though they are expected to include compensation that is dramatically higher than an entry level UFC contract.

Of course, a WWE career also does not include getting punched in the face (for real). Though, it should be noted, wrestlers are subject to many of the same problems MMA fighters encounter, with high rates of injury, lack of collective bargaining and adverse health conditions that exist long after their days in the ring or cage are over."

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2021/9/...over-ufc-contender-series-dana-white-mma-news

It's a shame he's going with WWE, but I'm okay with the UFC not wanting another CM Punk fiasco.

cm-punk.gif

EDIT: To all the responses about the CM Punk comparison, YES I am aware that Steveson is an olympic gold medalist and Punk is a performance artist. I'm well aware he's a much more capable athlete than Punk. That said, my point was much less about comparing Steveson to Punk and more about understanding the UFC's position on wanting Steveson to get some MMA experience before fighting. Signing guys with little to no MMA experience has been hit or miss and if the money isn't right for both parties I understand.

If Gable got that experience he'd probably do very well in the UFC. But it's a big gamble for both since we really don't know how well he can give or take a strike. If WWE is willing to pay him what he wants right now, that makes way more sense to me.

Hope that clears it up. If you still want to quote me go ahead, but I'm giving this thread up now.

For all the hate I'm catching, I still love all ya dawgs.

<Oku04>

Last edited:
If I was the UFC I would have signed him. And then got him a fight against a martial artist or boxer with no MMA experience. It would have been interesting and a throwback to old school ufc

Oh look.. Another pathetic anti-UFC thread/post by this clown.

Why would the UFC offer any 0-0 fighter to any kind of contract? Not including Brooks who already had a name and big fanbase from pro wrestling.

What was Bellator’s huge offer? The $1500/1500 that they offer their 0-0 fighters?

This poster is obsessed. I mean pretty much more than the biggest Conor, or Khabib huggers will ever be. Even worse than GSP haters. It’s fucking pathetic.

200.gif

Why would UFC shell out big bucks for an unproven wrestler who doesn’t move the needle? Brock Lesnar, one of the biggest wwe stars in the world even had to take a fight outside of the ufc before getting signed.

It's a shame he's going with WWE, but I'm okay with the UFC not wanting another CM Punk fiasco.

cm-punk.gif
Worst, CM Punk was a known celebrity, i had no idea who this Gable Steveson guy was until a picture of him was posted, i still had no idea why he was being mentioned other than winning a gold medal, but my point is, why the UFC would sign a non fighter that is not that really known and pay him top money? 1-2 fights and he ends up retiring after being KO'd twice in a row, UFC will not go that route again imo.

Back