Your team can lift you off the ground and help you to the stool?

I could be wrong but I thought Bisping's corner had to Weekend at Bernie's him to the stool after the Anderson knee

Bisping was untouched compared to Ortega.

He literally didn't move for long time while herb looked over him. Then before he moved himself his corner dragged him up.

Maybe it was just the camera man watching Silva afterwards but I saw nothing like what I saw today.

After round three or four, Ortega looked done and just layed on the ground looking unconcious for a long time until his team scooped him up to the stool. Then, after that, he also got extra time to recover while the doctor looked at him.

Anyone find that sketchy? Is there some rule saying you need to be able to get up yourself between rounds?

It was BS, he was fucking around with the eye doctor to clear his head

The time is, or should be, the same for everyone, but I'm not sure about the helping up.

Of course the important part is to get up for the next round when time is up. But I'm sure there's something in the rules about going to your corner in between rounds. Some structure. Maybe the cornermen can help you get there, but you'd have to get up yourself for the next round, or they wave it off.

At the end of round 3.. Ortega was lying on the canvas, his corner then picked him up and helped him back on to the stool. I think that should of been ruled a TKO. If a fighter is unable to continue at any moment in the fight, the fight should be called off. This includes in between rounds.

Had he not been able to pick himself back up, there's a good chance the ref would of called the fight off. So his team assisting him back on to the stool influenced the refs decision.

As per unified rules:
Interference from a mixed martial artist’s corner or seconds; a. Interference is defined as any action or activity aimed at disrupting the fight or causing an unfair advantage to be given to a corner’s combatant. Corners are not allowed to distract the referee or influence the actions of the referee in any fashion.

Last edited:
Dude, there was so much fucking wacky shit going on in Ortega's favor it was bizarre. Not only that, but the doctor didn't know whether to let him fight after that brutal round so Herb stepped in and tried to do the doctors job and not only could Ortega NOT answer any of the questions right, he could barely stand up straight and was looking all over the place. Volkanovski deserved to have that fight either end right there or they should have got things going right away so that he had a fair chance to follow up on his work in the previous round. That's bullshit how you can whip on a guy like that and the doctor and ref wait until the last second to check on him and drag out how much more time he has left to recover, which is unfair to Volkanovski. Honestly, just incompetence all around.

Dude, there was so much fucking wacky shit going on in Ortega's favor it was bizarre. Not only that, but the doctor didn't know whether to let him fight after that brutal round so Herb stepped in and tried to do the doctors job and not only could Ortega NOT answer any of the questions right, he could barely stand up straight and was looking all over the place. Volkanovski deserved to have that fight either end right there or allow it should have started sooner. That's bullshit how you can whip on a guy like that and the doctor and ref wait until the last second to check on him and drag out how much more time he has left to recover, which is unfair to Volkanovski. Honestly, just incompetence all around.

Yep, the doctor and referee gave Ortega like an additional 2 minutes to recover.. it was terrible.

Dude, there was so much fucking wacky shit going on in Ortega's favor it was bizarre. Not only that, but the doctor didn't know whether to let him fight after that brutal round so Herb stepped in and tried to do the doctors job and not only could Ortega NOT answer any of the questions right, he could barely stand up straight and was looking all over the place. Volkanovski deserved to have that fight either end right there or allow it should have started sooner. That's bullshit how you can whip on a guy like that and the doctor and ref wait until the last second to check on him and drag out how much more time he has left to recover, which is unfair to Volkanovski. Honestly, just incompetence all around.
Bang on was a bit suss but in the end it doesn't matter, props to Ortega for arguably winning the last round and coming back like a freaking Zombie but the rightful and deserving man won the fight.

heh, what rules. People eye poke, grab the cage, grab shorts, kick to the balls... all the bloody time.

The guy was revived…. He was essentially dead

Yep, the doctor and referee gave Ortega like an additional 2 minutes to recover.. it was terrible.

You haven't seen many fights if you've never seen a guy with potential vision problems get thoroughly examined by the ring doc and the ref between rounds.

I kind of gotta agree there.
He was on his back for about 5-10 seconds after they were broken up not to mention had to be physically pulled onto his stool. I definitely feel like that was grounds for stopping the fight then.
Guy got a bit of extra time from the doctor too....it was all bit weird.
Sadly He’s their Modelo poster boy so I’m sure we’ll hear no controversy about it.

Dude, there was so much fucking wacky shit going on in Ortega's favor it was bizarre. Not only that, but the doctor didn't know whether to let him fight after that brutal round so Herb stepped in and tried to do the doctors job and not only could Ortega NOT answer any of the questions right, he could barely stand up straight and was looking all over the place. Volkanovski deserved to have that fight either end right there or they should have got things going right away so that he had a fair chance to follow up on his work in the previous round. That's bullshit how you can whip on a guy like that and the doctor and ref wait until the last second to check on him and drag out how much more time he has left to recover, which is unfair to Volkanovski. Honestly, just incompetence all around.

I thought 4 sure doc was gonna stop it he was out on his feet then all extra time he recovered

UFCs dodgy antics lost me extra 200 on my bet.

You can't have a referee intervene in the middle of the fight to check if a dude is OK. It's not boxing. Lifting him onto the stool, letting him proceed after he can't answer a single question, essentially giving him loads of extra rest time.

It was insane.

Back