Your team can lift you off the ground and help you to the stool?

At the end of round 3.. Ortega was lying on the canvas, his corner then picked him up and helped him back on to the stool. I think that should of been ruled a TKO. If a fighter is unable to continue at any moment in the fight, the fight should be called off. This includes in between rounds.

Had he not been able to pick himself back up, there's a good chance the ref would of called the fight off. So his team assisting him back on to the stool influenced the refs decision.

As per unified rules:
Interference from a mixed martial artist’s corner or seconds; a. Interference is defined as any action or activity aimed at disrupting the fight or causing an unfair advantage to be given to a corner’s combatant. Corners are not allowed to distract the referee or influence the actions of the referee in any fashion.

That rule doesn't seem to apply to picking up your fighter.

Whether it should or not is another question

Do we have #'s on how oft this happens? I feel like I've seen it fairly frequently but I watch lots of tertiary Orgs...

Ortega is like a Kenny Florian. He ain't got what it takes to win a belt

It looked like Herb waved Volk off at the buzzer. I thought it was done. Goes to show that if the corner just rushes in and dusts their guy off like nothing happened, Herb will let the fight continue.

Herb always does this, he sucks as of like 3 years ago.

There have been times where herb called off the fight then the bell rang and the defeated fighter hot back up.

Then herb changes his mind and let the fight continue.

Also, if I'm not mistaking, herb was the ref for bisping vs Silva

I wonder, how long ortega will be out after this fight. This was a beating, but damn, ortega did come back late in the 5th. Guy is tough as hell.

Ortega literally laid motionless on the ground until his team came and scooped him up and put him on the stool.

The corner cannot touch the fighter, the fighter must make it back to his corner on his own.

545725.jpg

Ortega was lucky he just happened to be in his own corner

Ortega literally laid motionless on the ground until his team came and scooped him up and put him on the stool.

The corner cannot touch the fighter, the fighter must make it back to his corner on his own.

Agreed. It should have but I’m glad it they keep going

I thought Herb was going to call it off too, Volk was landing some vicious GnP....a few more seconds I think it would have been called.

“Let him fight to the death… maybe he can get lucky and win and we’ll all be richer afterwards!”

I don't think he realized the fight ended with the bell, I think he thought they may have stopped the fight instead. Probably didn't realize it until his corner came up to him. When you're that exhausted and have your bell rung your body doesn't move that fast and just trying to get up is hard. Lots of fighters have just laid there a couple seconds after the bell from just grappling exchanges because they are exhausted. Same thing when a fighter is on their back and the other fighter is standing over them and they have to get up, sometimes they take a couple extra seconds just before trying to get up. Much harder getting up off your back when you are exhausted/rocked because there is nothing to support your weight like your arms if you are face down instead. You have to basically do a sit up and if you are exhausted/rocked it takes a lot more effort.

Some of you weirdos just look for the smallest dumbest things to bitch and cry about

Literally trying your hardest to find something to complain about
What's going on around here? Ludicris fans taking over Sherdog?!

Yeah, I've seen a lot of people making very definitive claims like "a fighter has ten seconds to return to their corner and must do so under their own power, unassisted by seconds or else they get a TKO/DQ loss". But I can't find anything explicitly stating as much in the Unified Rules. The only thing that even comes close to addressing it was talking about MMA bouts taking place in a ring and had to do with a competitor who gets knocked through the ropes and has to return to the enclosure without aid. Other than that, my only guess is whether you can argue this is covered under the "interference by corner/seconds" rule or not.

Ultimately I think the most biggest problem of the your team peeling you off the canvas and literally carrying you back to the stool is the visual it sends to the ref and/or ringside physician, who can and will potentially take a closer look at you and stop the fight at their discretion regardless of whether you guys just broke an in-vogue rule.

The doctor causing delays could be called sketchy, but there has been other fighters who were really slow returning to their corner between rounds.

Back