@Steel
Reaction score
Font is a BEAST and he had almost nothing for a carcus of Aldo

Only fighters to DECISIVELY beat Aldo below 155

peak Conor at his weight bullying best
prime Max
prime Volk
prime Yan

All top 5 P4P fighters at the time they beat him. Marlon beat him but not decisively many thought Jose won

Aldo is light years beyond his prime and look what he did tonight. Despite gassing hard in the third, he still showed a complete MMA game and dropped Font late in the fight. The guy is an absolute fucking legend of the sport.

The narrative that Aldo is shot is wrong.
But that doesn't diminish anything in my eyes.

It's incredible how good he is.
Whereas he's physically not as much of a force as he used to be and not the leg kicker he once was, he's a better boxer than he ever used to be.

War Aldo.

I wouldn't even say he's "Shot" at this point, he's clearly shown that if you're not the CREAM of the crop in your division that you're not getting past him. He may have more MMA Miles on him than most, but he's shown time and time again that the remaining tread on his Tires is still MORE than enough for those that aren't good enough to beat him.

Losing to the Buzzsaw in Yan is nothing to scoff at, as he's clearly just beat 2 of the Divisions top fighters, and losing to Volk and Max aren't bad things either considering their own respective legacies at 145.

Aldo's still in the game, evolving with the rest of them, and only losing to the TRULY elite. He's far from shot.

Aldo is light years beyond his prime and look what he did tonight. Despite gassing hard in the third, he still showed a complete MMA game and dropped Font late in the fight. The guy is an absolute fucking legend of the sport.
That's what constantly working on your weaknesses does.
Aldo's boxing has gotten so good; he slipped, rolled with and countered after tons of strikes from font tonight and on top of that, he grapples now.

If he now starts to use his striking to set up his takedowns and vice-versa, instead of staying with the relatively conservative approach of reactive takedowns, i'm gonna fully lose it.

Just incredible.

The narrative that Aldo is shot is wrong.
But that doesn't diminish anything in my eyes.

It's incredible how good he is.
Whereas he's physically not as much of a force as he used to be and not the leg kicker he once was, he's a better boxer than he ever used to be.

War Aldo.

His boxing technique has improved but his defense, leg kicks and overall grappling are much worse than his prime versions. He has periods of explosiveness but he was maybe the best athlete in the sport at his best. Just a ferocious whirlwind. He cant explode and finish anymore.

Aldo's boxing has gotten so good; he slipped, rolled with and countered after tons of strikes from font tonight and on top of that, he grapples now.

If he now starts to use his striking to set up his takedowns and vice-versa, instead of staying with the relatively conservative approach of reactive takedowns, i'm gonna fully lose it.

Just incredible.
Aldos defence is insane now.
But
His offence is clearly falling apart, along with a bit worse cardio and Font was able to land a lot of un challenged shots because of it.

Im not counting out Aldo to win the BW title, because Aldo is so insane and has reinvented himself but his best days are behind him IMO

His boxing technique has improved but his defense, leg kicks and overall grappling are much worse than his prime versions. He has periods of explosiveness but he was maybe the best athlete in the sport at his best. Just a ferocious whirlwind. He cant explode and finish anymore.
Hmm... can partially agree, but i think his defense has generally also gotten better, he just isn't the physical whirlwind anymore, like you say, that he used to be.

Just incredible.

His corner was imploring him to kick and it changed the effectiveness of Rob's pressure, and also allowed Aldo to work takedowns, which changed the conviction in Rob's aggression when he moved forward.

Aldo has long been a complete mixed artist but for years he didn't need to show it. I'm glad he showed it tonight. As his athleticism has waned along with his durability, he needs to diversify to win these fights. He did tonight.

The greatest FW of all-time moonlighting as one of the greatest BWs of this generation.

Aldos defence is insane now.
But
His offence is clearly falling apart, along with a bit worse cardio and Font was able to land a lot of un challenged shots because of it.

Im not counting out Aldo to win the BW title, because Aldo is so insane and has reinvented himself but his best days are behind him IMO
Ya, he's at a point where he's declining a bit faster physically than he can make up for technically and strategically.

The greatest FW of all-time moonlighting as one of the greatest BWs of this generation.

He's still racking up top ten wins at a lower weight class. Imagine if he had a nutritionist in his prime. Maybe he wouldn't have had cardio issues when he was younger. I really enjoyed tonight.

Hmm... can partially agree, but i think his defense has generally also gotten better, he just isn't the physical whirlwind anymore, like you say, that he used to be.

His striking defense hasnt gotten better TBH. And his reactions are slower. His TDD is much worse @ BW. Marlon and Yan didnt have much issue taking him down. In his prime only Chad and Frankie 2 of the best wrestlers in MMA history got him down and he bounced back up easily.

His corner was imploring him to kick and it changed the effectiveness of Rob's pressure, and also allowed Aldo to work takedowns, which changed the conviction of his aggression when he moved forward.

Aldo has long been a complete mixed artist but for years he didn't need to show it. I'm glad he showed it tonight. As his athleticism has waned along with his durability, he needs to diversify to win these fights. He did tonight.
Yes.
The calf kicks were super effective, i wonder why he stopped using them in this fight after he had such good success with it.
But then again, it's not exactly easy to keep a clear head if you're in such a war after 17 (!) years of pro MMA, or however many it's been.

Aldo is not shot in anyway … he just got too much into rocky balboa boxing mode when his leg kicks are game changes .. he has abandoned leg kicks in the fights that began his demise . I believe when Conor ko’d him = he went into some form of fright mode and got obsessed with boxing to avoid getting ko’d like that again . Tonight aldo brought the leg kicks somewhat back but after round 1 he abandoned them again for some reason .. had he kept the leg kicks in he would’ve finished font or would’ve had an even more dominant fight

He's still racking up top ten wins at a lower weight class. Imagine if he had a nutritionist in his prime. Maybe he wouldn't have had cardio issues when he was younger. I really enjoyed tonight.

Cardio in fights with pace were always gonna be an issue regardless of nutrition TBH. Hes looked bad in most 5th rounds of his career.

Font is top 5

Back