Its insane how great you have to be to beat Aldo....Even a shot Aldo

Ya, he's at a point where he's declining a bit faster physically than he can make up for technically and strategically.
He reminds me of overeem.
Aldo has so much tools he’ll be able to reinvent himself multiple times but each time he’ll probably get slightly worse. Like I said though I do think he can be champ. I don’t know how exactly but if anybody can do it it’s Aldo

soon we might have Aldo looking like the next Maia if he keeps reinventing himself.

His striking defense hasnt gotten better TBH. And his reactions are slower. His TDD is much worse @ BW. Marlon and Yan didnt have much issue taking him down. In his prime only Chad and Frankie 2 of the best wrestlers in MMA history got him down and he bounced back up easily.
We have to agree to disagree about the striking defense, but i can get on board with the other stuff, though i'd attribute that to his physical decline.

Yes.
The calf kicks were super effective, i wonder why he stopped using them in this fight after he had such good success with it.
But then again, it's not exactly easy to keep a clear head if you're in such a war after 17 (!) years of pro MMA, or however many it's been.

Imagine being 17 years deep, fighting for at least 13 of those years against the best in the world and you're still winning fights against guys with half your fights and fight mileage. War Aldo. The guy continues to exemplify professionalism, class and embodies the term "lifelong martial artist.".

Aldo has so much tools he’ll be able to reinvent himself multiple times but each time he’ll probably get slightly worse. Like I said though I do think he can be champ. I don’t know how exactly but if anybody can do it it’s Aldo

soon we might have Aldo looking like the next Maia if he keeps reinventing himself.

Yan beats him every time I think, but, Aldo can beat everyone else at 135 and would probably beat Aljo right now

What gets me are Worldwide fangirls who insist Holloway and Volk aren't nearly as good as Bellator FWs and discredit their wins vs. Aldo.

Very true!
I wonder how good Aldo could've been had he diversified his approach earlier and also worked on his boxing earlier... which is crazy, because even though he didn't do it earlier, he's still such a phenomenal fighter.

We have to agree to disagree about the striking defense, but i can get on board with the other stuff, though i'd attribute that to his physical decline.

He's right simply because the defense of Aldo was aided by fast twitch reflexes which are no longer there.

Imagine being 17 years deep, fighting for at least 13 of those years against the best in the world and you're still winning fights against guys with half your fights and fight mileage. War Aldo. The guy is continues to exemplify professionalism, class and embodies the term "lifelong martial artist.".
*while also fighting in arguably the deepest weightclasses all the time.

Amen.

That's what constantly working on your weaknesses does.
Aldo's boxing has gotten so good; he slipped, rolled with and countered after tons of strikes from font tonight and on top of that, he grapples now.

If he now starts to use his striking to set up his takedowns and vice-versa, instead of staying with the relatively conservative approach of reactive takedowns, i'm gonna fully lose it.

Just incredible.
I was talking to the long time lady friend about Morono who fought earlier on in the evening, and how well his cerebral boxing works in so many circumstances.. Flash forward a while to us both tired eyed watching Aldo, she noticed the similarities, obviously different level and paced fights, but I was delighted the specifics of slipping and rolling punches was so well perceived(despite us both being outrageously knackered).

You are bang on with your entire post I think.

He's considerably slower, less mobile and has poor cardio; still has technique, raw power and of course a ton of experience. Brutalized a guy who will probably be champ soon. It's insanely impressive.

I was talking to the long time lady friend about Morono who fought earlier on in the evening, and how well his cerebral boxing works in so many circumstances.. Flash forward a while to us both tired eyed watching Aldo, she noticed the similarities, obviously different level and paced fights, but I was delighted the specifics of slipping and rolling punches was so well perceived(despite us both being outrageously knackered).

You are bang on with your entire post I think.
Missed the Morono fight almost completely, but yeah, maybe!
Hope you're good bro.

Missed the Morono fight almost completely, but yeah, maybe!
Hope you're good bro.
He's just a cerebral guy who really makes it difficult with slips and such, I love his decision making.. despite not being the most agile or athletic, always does it for me in technique.. 3 fight win streak now, 1 loss to a finish since 2014 in 20 fights.. Underrated imo... Obviously Aldo is Aldo though .. Aldo Bless
6le3QZ.gif

Hope you're well too amigo, Ironnik94 bless... We need to talk Rangnick soon <{coachie}>

Aldo is insane, I never get as anxious watching any other fighter as I do Aldo. Hopefully he can dust TJ.

Given how young Aldo started people got the impression he was older than he really was similar to Shogun. Sports evolved greatly during Aldo's career that has more to do with Aldo's decline than his age, Aldo was likely better post title reign than during it and likely evolved himself during this period. Being "better" isn't purely about wins and losses.

He's 35 that's old for team sports in MMA it's certainly not young but it's not washed by any means. He left FW because he couldn't beat 2 people and he get not get another title shot, BW's a shark tank.

He's not shot - if so he'd have not won.

He's past his prime but is clearly rounding out his skill set - He shuts down switch kicks now with that cross check, he's throwing in combination, we saw him counter the right hand with his own switch kick, his jab and had movement have gotten even better.

Aldo is by far the most complete fighter ever.

What he is doing at his age and 4-5 years from the TAIL END of his prime is unheard of. #1 p4p all time.

Back