Who had the luckiest win in UFC history?

Who had the luckiest win in UFC?

• Jones vs Smith; for Smith not taking the DQ win

• Belfort vs. Couture; for glove cutting eye

• Sterling vs. Yan; for DQ win

• Condit vs. McDonald; for early stoppage in a fight Condit was losing

• Mark Cole didn't have to fight finals to win belt

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Game_Bred_Irish

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying, I am not including "lucky punches" as part of this. I'm defining luck as a fighter receiving a win via circumstances that were entirely out of his/her control and that are very unusual.

My contenders for fights in UFC:

1) Vitor Belfort wins title via glove cutting eye against Randy Couture. There's no way Belfort meant for his glove to cut Randy's eye.

2) Sterling wins title via illegal knee strike by Yan. Unless Sterling planned to take a illegal knee to the head, he was lucky Yan threw it.

3) Jon Jones defends title against Anthony Smith, despite Anthony being able to have won via DQ. Jones was very lucky that Smith did not take the win via DQ and chose to continue.

4) Carlos Condit beats Rory McDonald, despite Rory being ahead 2 rounds, going into the third, with less than 10 seconds left, referee stops the fight after some ground and pound where Rory was not hurt. Carlos was very lucky the referee stopped the fight early with seconds left, in a fight he was clearly losing

5) Coleman wins title via Ferrozzo pulling out due to exhaustion Coleman didn't have to fight anymore in the tournament because his opponent got tired and won the belt.

i don't see Matt Hamill's name up there. Easily my number 1

I thought about putting Hamil up there, I didn't because that was early on in Jones career. If the win over Jones changed Hamil's career, I would definitely have it as no.1. That win didn't do much for Hamil though, that was the only reason I excluded it.

A lot of the lucky results I put up there, resulted in people becoming champions, or in Rory vs. Condit's case, got them much bigger/better fights.

Haha Bones/Smith is a good one. He can really count himself lucky Smith is in fact lionheart. Belfort/Couture is the definition of fluke win though.

And Condit/Rory wasn't early. Ref saved years off of Rorys life. There was 7 seconds left of the fight right? Condit would've absolutely smashed him to a draw. He wasn't losing.

It's gotta be Aljo because he milked it. Nothing much was ever made of Belfort's title win. Did they even announce him as former LHW champ from then on?

Haha Bones/Smith is a good one. He can really count himself lucky Smith is in fact lionheart. Belfort/Couture is the definition of fluke win though.

And Condit/Rory wasn't early. Ref saved years off of Rorys life. There was 7 seconds left of the fight right? Condit would've absolutely smashed him to a draw. He wasn't losing.
I agree about Condit/Rory

I could be biased, I was a big McDonald fan back in the day. I remember thinking the referee stopped it way too early and that Rory wasn't hurt but I never went back and re-watched it.

Definitely Hamill. Gets to be the guy to forever say he took Jon's 0 and is his only official loss to date that he earned solely because Jon beat him up too much.

Uriah Hall won a fight without throwing anything.

uriah-hall-chris-weidman-ufc-261-getty.jpg

It's nice seeing them again though late last year, with Chris walking normally again.

Jose torres over jarred brooks (edit).

do you remember that fight where a guy was putting a beating in the other one, and them he slammed him out of the fight? he held the other one legs, kind of jumped and passed out. both of them were journeymen. was about like, 3 or 4 years ago. that was the craziest one ever.

Last edited:
Matt Hughes knocked himself unconscious against Carlos Newton and still won the fight because Big John didn't notice.
Matt Hughes was choked unconscious, so he first lost the fight via technical submission. But he won the fight because he fell leaning forward and knocked out Carlos Newton. Still the weirdest finish for a title in UFC history.

I could be biased, I was a big McDonald fan back in the day. I remember thinking the referee stopped it way too early and that Rory wasn't hurt but I never went back and re-watched it.
I think every canadian who watched at the time was mad and i don't blame em. Even i felt the stoppage was iffy at first but after watching the replay i thought it was for the best. Condit had some brutal GnP that third round. Def a 10-8

Let me preface this by saying, I am not including "lucky punches" as part of this. I'm defining luck as a fighter receiving a win via circumstances that were entirely out of his/her control and that are very unusual.

My contenders for fights in UFC:

1) Vitor Belfort wins title via glove cutting eye against Randy Couture. There's no way Belfort meant for his glove to cut Randy's eye.

2) Sterling wins title via illegal knee strike by Yan. Unless Sterling planned to take a illegal knee to the head, he was lucky Yan threw it.

3) Jon Jones defends title against Anthony Smith, despite Anthony being able to have won via DQ. Jones was very lucky that Smith did not take the win via DQ and chose to continue.

4) Carlos Condit beats Rory McDonald, despite Rory being ahead 2 rounds, going into the third, with less than 10 seconds left, referee stops the fight after some ground and pound where Rory was not hurt. Carlos was very lucky the referee stopped the fight early with seconds left, in a fight he was clearly losing

5) Coleman wins title via Ferrozzo pulling out due to exhaustion Coleman didn't have to fight anymore in the tournament because his opponent got tired and won the belt.
I’d say Matt Hamils win over Jones. I’m pretty sure the ref was yelling at Matt Hamill (deaf) asking him if was ok. Matt didn’t respond because he’s deaf. So they waived the fight off and DQ’d Jones for an illegal something or another.

Like…what? Still confuses me 15 something years later

Back