News Daniel Cormier: Anthony Smith 'let pride get in the way,' should have taken DQ win vs. Jon Jones

big franklin

franklin
@Green
Reaction score
Daniel Cormier thinks Anthony Smith should have just claimed the disqualification win in his title fight vs. Jon Jones

Smith (37-18 MMA, 12-8 UFC) was illegally kneed by then-light heavyweight champion Jones (27-1 MMA, 21-1 UFC) in their title fight at UFC 235 in March 2019. Smith elected to continue fighting, and lost the fight by unanimous decision despite Jones being deducted two points.

“That’s when Anthony was like, ‘You know what, man, if I just sit here, and I don’t do this no more, there’s a possibility for me to get all this money and come back as the champ’ – and then his pride got in the way,” Cormier said on a recent episode of The Joe Rogan Experience.

“And he got up there and he finished the fight. He was down three rounds to one at that time, and he fought, and I thought it was a mistake because he took an illegal knee. It is what it is. Jones got deducted a point, and still won the fight comfortably. That’s how much he was ahead. He got a two-point deduction, and still won.”

Source

DC still throwing shots at Jon to this day <36>

Nah. Everyone and him knows that if he felt like he could continue that he took the easy way out. I'd respect him more for staying in and getting his ass beat than to take a DQ as an easy victory.

He's absolutely correct. Jon is a douche and that Karma would have been amazing. Unfortunately Smith was too much of a dipshit to see the possible future and paycheck for the rematch.

It’s funny that people still argue that DC is over Jon Jones. Jon’s implanted like a bad ex girlfriend. Rent free lol

I think Smith made an interesting career choice, it was right after that fight he started working the desk as an analyst. Somehow I don’t think he was first pick either…coincidence?

If he took the DQ then jones might not have fought and lost to santos and reyes, just more proof that smith is a stand up guy, and he WILL beat rountree tonight

Daniel Cormier thinks Anthony Smith should have just claimed the disqualification win in his title fight vs. Jon Jones

Smith (37-18 MMA, 12-8 UFC) was illegally kneed by then-light heavyweight champion Jones (27-1 MMA, 21-1 UFC) in their title fight at UFC 235 in March 2019. Smith elected to continue fighting, and lost the fight by unanimous decision despite Jones being deducted two points.

“That’s when Anthony was like, ‘You know what, man, if I just sit here, and I don’t do this no more, there’s a possibility for me to get all this money and come back as the champ’ – and then his pride got in the way,” Cormier said on a recent episode of The Joe Rogan Experience.

“And he got up there and he finished the fight. He was down three rounds to one at that time, and he fought, and I thought it was a mistake because he took an illegal knee. It is what it is. Jones got deducted a point, and still won the fight comfortably. That’s how much he was ahead. He got a two-point deduction, and still won.”

Source

DC still throwing shots at Jon to this day <36>
Have you listened to the entire conversation? Or just quoting snippets

If he took the DQ then jones might not have fought and lost to santos and reyes, just more proof that smith is a stand up guy, and he WILL beat rountree tonight
How did he lose to Santos? I can see how you can give Reyes 3 rnds but what did Santos do to win, Jon crippled his legs

I remember at the time that it happened, Anthony was lauded for not taking the east way out, despite the obvious financial benefits.

How did he lose to Santos? I can see how you can give Reyes 3 rnds but what did Santos do to win, Jon crippled his legs
if that’s why you’re giving jones the fight then thats crazy considering santos fucked up his knee from not pivoting properly while throwing a low kick that missed. I saw santos outlanding jones in 1 2 and 5 landing the harder shots too. I know he missed a lot in those flurries but he did land 1 or 2 in them, plus the body kicks and leg kick. In round 2 it looked like jones dropped santos but santos’ knee just gave out and he was sliding down the cage, even Joe rogan was like “ye that wasn’t a knockdown he was already falling” and at the end he was like “theres a possibility santos has won 3 rounds here“ and anik at the very end is like “interested to see the scorecards on this one” I really believe they though santos had just won

considering what happened to Aljo this conversation is very trigger inducing....
because anthony is BORING and bland
it honestly would of just costed more issues down the line. its not a situation where
like how ALJO and his BFF Could ACTUALLY BEAT YAN , so taking the belt isnt really a problem.

anthony just would of gotten it for like 5-6 months
then get finished brutally by jones and thats it..... but forget all that...
lets just HOPE DANA TOOK CARE OF HIM WITH A BACK STAGE BONUS ......

but considering what is leaking i doubt it

doesnt matter, he just got koed in a nasty way

I can't take Smith serious, dude refused a free championship... why buy a new house when you can have honor with a guy like Jon Jones, he sure deserves it.

<1>

He's 100% right. Smith would've gotten a title, a guaranteed rematch and chance to prove himself i.e. Aljo vs Yan 2. Or even better yet: The possibility was there that Jones went off the rails on another coke bender if he lost the belt that way, then Smith could've possibly avoided the rematch and kept the belt a bit. He thought he was being a good company guy by doing the "honorable" thing and not taking the DQ, he was wrong, there is no honor in the UFC or in fighting, only the prize. Getting the win by ANY MEANS NECESSARY is the only imperative.

Back