News Daniel Cormier: Anthony Smith 'let pride get in the way,' should have taken DQ win vs. Jon Jones

Well he let Khalil GOATree get in the way this time

LOL He would've gotten trashed like Aljo did.

There's no winning with fans in that situation.

However, the extra payday would've been nice.

He really does hate him, and I kind of love the pettiness lol.

All that said, take away the messenger here and just analyse the statement. Is he wrong?

Of course we all would have criticised it and called him a fraud, and a pussy, blah, blah, but DC made a great point about Aljo. If Aljo stands back up and continues that Yan fight, he loses a clear decision, never gets a belt, never gets huge paydays, never has title defences, has almost zero legacy, and undoubtably loses millions.

Kind of makes you think…

Nah. Everyone and him knows that if he felt like he could continue that he took the easy way out. I'd respect him more for staying in and getting his ass beat than to take a DQ as an easy victory.

He could have been champ and who knows.. a motivated champ smith could have the imposible in the rematch.

Nah. Everyone and him knows that if he felt like he could continue that he took the easy way out. I'd respect him more for staying in and getting his ass beat than to take a DQ as an easy victory.
DC said yeah got respect but if he'd stayed down he could've got a champ contract and a rematch with PPV points and set his family up with life changing money.

It’s funny that people still argue that DC is over Jon Jones. Jon’s implanted like a bad ex girlfriend. Rent free lol

I think Smith made an interesting career choice, it was right after that fight he started working the desk as an analyst. Somehow I don’t think he was first pick either…coincidence?

He was actually pretty complimentary of Jones on the podcast.

They had been talking about rule changes about knees to the head of a ground opponent and looked at the Aljo and Smith incidents and that's how they got onto this.

considering what happened to Aljo this conversation is very trigger inducing....
because anthony is BORING and bland
it honestly would of just costed more issues down the line. its not a situation where
like how ALJO and his BFF Could ACTUALLY BEAT YAN , so taking the belt isnt really a problem.

anthony just would of gotten it for like 5-6 months
then get finished brutally by jones and thats it..... but forget all that...
lets just HOPE DANA TOOK CARE OF HIM WITH A BACK STAGE BONUS ......

but considering what is leaking i doubt it
Look at their careers though.

UFC HATES Aljo. He made his money, which they probably hate him for even more. They don't seem to be interested in giving him any opportunities even though he is pretty solid on the mic and has a halfway decent personality.

Meanwhile Anthony Smith is half a retard and he is getting paid to do all sorts of commentary work. He is a journeyman but maintains a ranking even though he loses often and gets mauled.

I think they both made the right choice.

Aljo was not going to get special treatment or maybe even get another title shot by continuing to fight. He bet on himself and secured his financial future by winning the rematch and defending.

DC said yeah got respect but if he'd stayed down he could've got a champ contract and a rematch with PPV points and set his family up with life changing money.
How much would he have made in one fight everyone 100% knew he would get demolished vs what he will make in his career as a commentator?

That income could continue beyond his fighting career which is already around 50 fights and double digit losses.

Plus flying all over the world and staying in nice hotels and whatever he makes from his podcast with Bisping, all perks of his elevated status and platform for being a company guy and letting the UFC cash bigger checks with Jones.

Why are people acting like he is a moron for not taking the DQ and even back then were hoping he would? Meanwhile everybody shits on Aljo for taking the DQ against Petr Yan..

Fluke champ Smith would not have gotten the cushy commentary gig he has now. That alone makes not taking the DQ worth it, he can keep getting paychecks even after he retires.

Aljo at the very least legitimized himself as a real champion when he beat Yan in the rematch and the subsequent title defenses, Smith would've got smashed by Jones in a rematch and looked like as a joke. Like others mentioned, Smith made the right choice in the end and has been rewarded with multiple main events etc.

He's 100% right. Smith would've gotten a title, a guaranteed rematch and chance to prove himself i.e. Aljo vs Yan 2. Or even better yet: The possibility was there that Jones went off the rails on another coke bender if he lost the belt that way, then Smith could've possibly avoided the rematch and kept the belt a bit. He thought he was being a good company guy by doing the "honorable" thing and not taking the DQ, he was wrong, there is no honor in the UFC or in fighting, only the prize. Getting the win by ANY MEANS NECESSARY is the only imperative.
I agree. He lost a lot not taking the belt via dq. Terrible decision

He def should have but he would have gotten his ass beat his first defense anyway. it'd look good for him financially, but he'd be seen as a joke champ regardless.

Ever since DC did his absurd P4P fighter list with SAS, any opinion henceforth with DC needs to be skewed with heavy criticism

Look at their careers though.

UFC HATES Aljo. He made his money, which they probably hate him for even more. They don't seem to be interested in giving him any opportunities even though he is pretty solid on the mic and has a halfway decent personality.

Meanwhile Anthony Smith is half a retard and he is getting paid to do all sorts of commentary work. He is a journeyman but maintains a ranking even though he loses often and gets mauled.

I think they both made the right choice.

Aljo was not going to get special treatment or maybe even get another title shot by continuing to fight. He bet on himself and secured his financial future by winning the rematch and defending.

did you see how dirty dana did aljo tho with that last title fight. pressured him to take that fight,
uploaded the knockout not even an hour after the fight, then started bashing him and merab
right after aljo saved that boston card......BRO .i hope whatever money aljo was paid was worth it, cause
even woodley said himself aljo shouldnt of taken that fight and he should of took the vacation and risked dana
wrath instead cause either way ONCE DANA doesnt like you thats it. i couldnt imagine having 500 million
and still being this bitter.

back in 2007 to me dana was THE MAN, i thought
the world of dana. he was cooler than don king and vince. i would of loved to work for or fight
for dana.

but i never put 2 and 2 together and you are right it makes sense in why anthony is getting
these gigs. I cant stand his voice and hes so BLAND.sensitive too. but good for him to.

yeah you right, aljo's backstory is mad sad too, he came from an abusive background, which
makes this even more sadder.
Aljo best bet is to try to get big on social media try to become an influencer
fight out his contract, and do celebrity boxing fights.

did you see how dirty dana did aljo tho with that last title fight. pressured him to take that fight,
uploaded the knockout not even an hour after the fight, then started bashing him and merab
right after aljo saved that boston card......BRO .i hope whatever money aljo was paid was worth it, cause
even woodley said himself aljo shouldnt of taken that fight and he should of took the vacation and risked dana
wrath instead cause either way ONCE DANA doesnt like you thats it. i couldnt imagine having 500 million
and still being this bitter.

back in 2007 to me dana was THE MAN, i thought
the world of dana. he was cooler than don king and vince. i would of loved to work for or fight
for dana.

but i never put 2 and 2 together and you are right it makes sense in why anthony is getting
these gigs. I cant stand his voice and hes so BLAND.sensitive too. but good for him to.

yeah you right, aljo's backstory is mad sad too, he came from an abusive background, which
makes this even more sadder.
Aljo best bet is to try to get big on social media try to become an influencer
fight out his contract, and do celebrity boxing fights.
Aljo is good mate. He has got "fuck you money" relative to where he started, which as I recall was either Hempstead or some similar shithole on the queens and Nassau County border (Long Island NY), in a family of like 20 and broke/poor.

He has made a few million.

I lived in Hempstead one summer in college, maybe 6 weeks, and in that time and my roommates truck got broken into and the newspaper said don't walk around alone at night because they were doing gang initiations and jumping random people, robbing them and stomping the shit out of them.

Aljo is balling relative to how he started this life.

Daniel Cormier thinks Anthony Smith should have just claimed the disqualification win in his title fight vs. Jon Jones

Smith (37-18 MMA, 12-8 UFC) was illegally kneed by then-light heavyweight champion Jones (27-1 MMA, 21-1 UFC) in their title fight at UFC 235 in March 2019. Smith elected to continue fighting, and lost the fight by unanimous decision despite Jones being deducted two points.

“That’s when Anthony was like, ‘You know what, man, if I just sit here, and I don’t do this no more, there’s a possibility for me to get all this money and come back as the champ’ – and then his pride got in the way,” Cormier said on a recent episode of The Joe Rogan Experience.

“And he got up there and he finished the fight. He was down three rounds to one at that time, and he fought, and I thought it was a mistake because he took an illegal knee. It is what it is. Jones got deducted a point, and still won the fight comfortably. That’s how much he was ahead. He got a two-point deduction, and still won.”

Source

DC still throwing shots at Jon to this day <36>

He's actually right, financially and historically it would've been better for Smith. It also would've set them up for a lucrative rematch.

In the same way Stipe should've taken the blatant eye poke foul from Cormier, rather than continue in their first meeting.

Back