How do you deal with not living up to your own expectations?

I live in an area where the cost of living is very high, so traveling isn't a big option for me atm. I also don't have many friends these days do to most of my high school/college friends living far away and only work with like 3 people. Making new friends as an adult is kind of tough too

Do it through hobbies. Join a boxing gym or a Dungeons and Dragons club. Whatever yoy enjoy. Then it's not an adult trying to find friends. It's an adult that spends his time on things he enjoys and then finds similarly minded adults.

Also, a meaningful relationship with a good woman is pretty fantastic.

Do it through hobbies. Join a boxing gym or a Dungeons and Dragons club. Whatever yoy enjoy. Then it's not an adult trying to find friends. It's an adult that spends his time on things he enjoys and then finds similarly minded adults.

Also, a meaningful relationship with a good woman is pretty fantastic.
Yeah that's not a bad idea. I haven't met a good woman that I would even want to be in a relationship with in quite a while

I can appreciate your tenacity in life. I wish more people had some of that.

At some point though, you might realize material things will never be enough. I feel like our true legacy is in who we help and life lessons we leave others before we die.

Unfortunately I have been drinking more than I really should when I'm stressed out or depressed. I try to drink only on weekends but it's tough when you are going through it

Don't give yourself that excuse sir, because it will be there when stressful shit happens.

I've always had really high expectations for myself since I was young. I thought I would either own my own business, travel all over the world, have tons of friends, bang LA 10's etc. I'm a hard worker and like to do things differently so I thought I could make it happen fairly easily. As we all know life is not that simple and sometimes you can only do so much.

Fast forward to the present day. I'm 28 and I have a solid job, rent my own place, have a pretty nice car, produce rap/hip hop music, own lots of cool stuff etc. I know I'm doing better than others and I should be thankful for what I have but I always feel like it's not good enough. That voice in my head tells me I need to do more and I should be more successful, have more friends, more sex partners etc.

Sometimes my high expectations for myself push me to work harder and try new things to be successful but other times it just makes me depressed that I'm not where I think I should be. So how do you guys deal with it?

TLDR: How do you deal with not living up to your own expectations?

First of all, success is relative and you should be proud of what you have accomplished. You are still a baby (relatively speaking) and have the rest of your adult life to make good on the expectations you had of yourself.

As for me, the hardest thing to accept is that pursuing one dream/goal ultimately came at the expense of another. When I was younger, I thought you could have it all (successful career, happy family etc.), but I realized in my late 20s and early 30s that in order to be really good at what I do professionally (professor/researcher), it would make it really difficult to maintain a healthy and fulfilling relationship. I'm now 37, single and childless - the closest thing I have to a relationship is that I am involved with a married woman, but that's a whole other story. I don't necessarily regret this outcome, but there are people who can have it all... I'm just not one of them. I tend towards extremes, and over time, I accepted that balance probably isn't in the cards for me.

With all of that being said, I personally don't want to be happy (in the sense of accomplishments). I have always felt that happiness habituates contentment, contentment habituates complacency, and complacency habituates laziness. The moral of the story being that the moment that you are happy with your station in life, is the moment you stop trying to improve - you should constantly strive and be better, but what "better" is can mean different things to different people (money, material things, friendships etc.).

Also, be kinder to yourself. There are going to be times in everyone's life where we didn't live up to expectations (either our own, or what others have of us), and that's okay. Beating yourself up over it does nothing but undermine your growth with guilt/resentment.

I don't really care. I do what I can and try to be a better version everyday even if it sounds cliché. There are a lot of things that I can't control but being a positive influence in the people I love is more than enough for me. At this point I don't think it's even for myself I do things but for the people around me.

Also:
produce rap/hip hop music
LOL

i deal with that every day. and every day i make a plan to fix it tomorrow

I try to focus on the positives, most of my life regrets are from the inability to take action rather than the action of bad decisions. I did make some bad mistakes in my late 20s to early 30s with drug and alcohol use and not working on self improvement but the reality is, my situation could so much worse. Many of my friends who I grew up with still live with their folks, are unemployed, have far serious drug addiction issues and some even wound up dead.

I have a habit of focusing on the negatives, the past and comparing myself to others doing better but it really needs to go the other way for any improvement.

I use to be super happy getting wasted, bumming around in piss stained pants, stealing whatever I needed. Didn't have no rent to worry about. No spirit sucking job to go to. Just selfish pleasures 24/7. Then I read a Jordan Peterson book and it ruined my life. I lapped up the fridge magnet platitudes. Yes, I could be a better person today than I was yesterday. I could eat muesli. I quit drugs. Quit fun. Got a job. Made money. Became successful. Got a mortgage. Became respectable. Productive. Now my life is a banal hell. I say things like hang in there to my colleagues. I mow my lawn. Pay insurance. Set goals. It's truly disgusting.

I've actually been on TV 20+ times now.

Clearly I'm winning at life.

Now excuse me as I eat a frozen pizza by myself, while scrolling through my ex-girlfriends Instagram.
You are a freaking celebrity bro.

As you age you realize some things. Sounds like your trying to live a unrealistic life that was marketed to you as a way to happiness. And you're disappointed because it's not working so you think you need more of the same. Don't worry it's part of growing up. My wife recently took a 40000 pay cut to work from home in a new job where she isn't in charge of a large group of people. We can now afford less stuff but it's been 5 months and I gotta tell you we are all happier. She's in a better mood, takes care of the house more, spends time with the kids more, is better in bed and basically that 40 grand was not improving our lives at all. In my opinion happiness isn't stuff, time to pursue things you care about is worth more than anything.

Maybe your standards are set too high.. Just work on being content with what you have accomplished and what you have achieved. We all can't be an Elon Musk type. I have a good job that I don't mind getting up in the morning to go to. I have an average home with great kids who don't want for anything. We live a good life and are far from rich. We go on vacations, to the movies, lots of adventures but are far from rich. Enjoy what you have my friend
I would add to go train jiu jitsu.... join a bjj gym where everyone in the bjj gym is on the struggle bus with you and you have something in common with like minded people.

Last edited:
I've always had really high expectations for myself since I was young. I thought I would either own my own business, travel all over the world, have tons of friends, bang LA 10's etc. I'm a hard worker and like to do things differently so I thought I could make it happen fairly easily. As we all know life is not that simple and sometimes you can only do so much.

Fast forward to the present day. I'm 28 and I have a solid job, rent my own place, have a pretty nice car, produce rap/hip hop music, own lots of cool stuff etc. I know I'm doing better than others and I should be thankful for what I have but I always feel like it's not good enough. That voice in my head tells me I need to do more and I should be more successful, have more friends, more sex partners etc.

Sometimes my high expectations for myself push me to work harder and try new things to be successful but other times it just makes me depressed that I'm not where I think I should be. So how do you guys deal with it?

TLDR: How do you deal with not living up to your own expectations?

Depends on why you feel "its never enough." Do you think anyone will care 100 years from now how much money you made? What kind of car you drove? Or even know you existed? Who are you tying to impress, yourself? No matter how much you have, it will never make you feel fulfilled. That comes from elsewhere.

It has been entirely out of my hands in the last 12 years so I'm not beating myself up about it.

Back