What are some boomer MMA takes that you would still defend as true?

My fellow aged ones who actually watched MMA before Conor McGregor, what are some boomer hills you are willing to die on?

- Prime Fedor would have beaten Francis.

- Matt Hughes would decision Usman.

- Prime BJ was the LW GOAT.
-- Pride rules are better than unified rules
-- Pride judging is better than unified judging (though Pride judges were terrible)
-- Igor Vovchanchyn at 170 lbs would be a top 10 welterweight
-- Royce Gracie is one of the greatest fighters of all time based on what he accomplished in the 1st 4 UFC events
-- Antonio Nino Schembri is the pioneer of the rubber guard, NOT Eddie Bravo
-- Big John McCarthy is the best referee of all time based off of what he has contributed to the sport in addition to his body of work
-- Josh Rosenthal is one of the best referees ever and it's a shame that we no longer see him in major MMA promotions
-- Nick Diaz in his prime was a more skilled fighter than Nathan Diaz
-- There should not be a weight limit after 205 lbs
-- Tim Sylvia is possibly the most underappreciated fighter of all time
-- Mark Kerr may have been an all-time great heavyweight had it not been for his abusive ex
-- Prime BJ Penn beats Khabib Nurmagomedov

Fedor in his absolute prime is better than any heavy the the UFC has ever produced.

Pride was better than the UFC. 10 min first rounds, yellow card, the crowd, the fighters. Just better back than.

A healthy shogun was unstoppable!!!

idk I get the feeling francis doesnt like getting hit and his ground game is pretty weak compared to fedor. I'm not saying prime fedor would steam roll him but he hung with crocop and out grappled randleman. I feel like fancis would have only really had a "punchers chance" and I cant really see him being able to stop prime fedor from getting him to the ground.
Very possible imo -- he wouldn't even need to be on top in my opinion. Fedor was lethal from his back in his prime.

Prime CroCop would tool every current HW, including Francis and Gane.

When I was watching him in pride, then he went to UFC I kept asking myself why he never kicks, I even counted only 2 kicks that round...Shogun could no televise for sales he had bad knees. He started in the UFC with bad knees. Its too bad cause I agree he would have been the best.
Yeah he took a lot of damage in Pride and training at Chute Box, most likely -- he had a damn good UFC career beating many tough opponents and getting a belt, but you could tell he was not the same fighter when he faced Forrest Griffin. I think it's telling that a comprimised Shogun was good enough to become UFC champion.

How about that Hess and Belfort rematch?

I still remember him promising to KTFO Vitor faster than Vitor did him.

I strated watching MMA and reading Sherdog in 2004 , unlike most ya TUF noobs ;)
Yeah, I'm not even a boomer (I'm Gen X) and I started watching from the beginning...well actually in 1994 when the VHS became available at the video rental stores. Most Pride nostalgists are younger than I am and are the most delusional group on here.

Neo-boomer take : Tim Kennedy won against Romero. What Romero did is an instant DQ in my book.
Agreed 100%. Actually, I'll go one step further and proclaim that Tim Kennedy, where perhaps not quite champion material, was a brutally underrated fighter. I don't think he had what it took to defeat a prime Rockhold or Weidman, but he was maybe one step behind. I also felt he beat Jacare when they fought in Strikeforce. He used to have lungs for days, but then when he fought Diego Sanchez after years off, he just broke.

Pettis would have tooled Aldo for the title at 145
Holloway would have beaten Khabib at UFC 223
<DCWhoa><6>

-- Pride rules are better than unified rules
-- Pride judging is better than unified judging (though Pride judges were terrible)
-- Igor Vovchanchyn at 170 lbs would be a top 10 welterweight
-- Royce Gracie is one of the greatest fighters of all time based on what he accomplished in the 1st 4 UFC events
-- Antonio Nino Schembri is the pioneer of the rubber guard, NOT Eddie Bravo
-- Big John McCarthy is the best referee of all time based off of what he has contributed to the sport in addition to his body of work
-- Josh Rosenthal is one of the best referees ever and it's a shame that we no longer see him in major MMA promotions
-- Nick Diaz in his prime was a more skilled fighter than Nathan Diaz
-- There should not be a weight limit after 205 lbs
-- Tim Sylvia is possibly the most underappreciated fighter of all time
-- Mark Kerr may have been an all-time great heavyweight had it not been for his abusive ex
-- Prime BJ Penn beats Khabib Nurmagomedov
<mma4><5>
Nothing but facts spoken here

My fellow aged ones who actually watched MMA before Conor McGregor, what are some boomer hills you are willing to die on?

- Prime Fedor would have beaten Francis.

- Matt Hughes would decision Usman.

- Prime BJ was the LW GOAT.
The main one is people completely misusing the word "boomer" still.

Says the 2006 join date when TUF started in 2005! ;)

I had watched UFC sporadically before TUF started but TUF got me hooked.
What's funny is that I started watching before TUF, but didn't watch TUF until season 3 lmao -- I started following more closely though when I realized how fucking talented TUF fighters were. It used to be the cool thing to dismiss them, but their resumes speak for themselves -- Forrest Griffin, Diego Sanchez, Rashad Evans, etc -- there were some very talented fighters from the show.

Pettis would have tooled Aldo for the title at 145
Holloway would have beaten Khabib at UFC 223
Pettis has always been one of those guys that you can never really count out -- even in his prime, he had some bad outtings. He'd either knock out Wonder Boy or lose a decision to Clay Guida. He has one of the more bizarre resumes for sure.

You got them all wrong

Fedor would have Zulu’d or Timmeh’d Francis

Matt Hughes after a country breakfast would have slammed Usman

prime LW Bj Penn would beat Fedor in an open weight GP
Country Breakfast Hughes and K-1 Hughes are still 2 of my favorite MMA derivatives or whatever you call them haha Other good ones were Sea Level Cain and the Old Vitor lol

I believe Lesnar would have beaten Fedor. I think Couture probably could have. I dont want to say that Pride was overrated but it was sketchy and had a lot of favorable matchups. I do think at the time, tho, Fedor was the best HW on the planet but I think he carried that mantle a lot longer than he should have.
Hindsight is 20/20, but I feel there is some truth to this. Stylistically, I think we can entertain the idea that perhaps a strong wrestler would give Fedor some issues for sure. He beat some good wrestlers, but the sport has evolved a lot
I dont see why you think Hughes would beat Usman. I hate Usman but I dont see any way he loses that fight.
I tend to agree -- Hughes was a stud for his day, but the sport has evolved. In fact, one of his best techniques at the time was to drag fighters to the cage and implement his ground and pound -- these days, you tend to see fighters aiming to get their opponents down near the center of the octagon so they can't wall walk and whatnot. I feel he would've been solid, but not good enough to give well-rounded fighters much trouble.

What's funny is that I started watching before TUF, but didn't watch TUF until season 3 lmao -- I started following more closely though when I realized how fucking talented TUF fighters were. It used to be the cool thing to dismiss them, but their resumes speak for themselves -- Forrest Griffin, Diego Sanchez, Rashad Evans, etc -- there were some very talented fighters from the show.
TUF 3 is one on my fav seasons..

Back