• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

RBR ***Official*** Canelo vs GGG 3, Sat. 9/17, 4:45 PM ET/1:45 PM PT RBR Discussion Thread

Who wins in the main event?

• Total voters
No BS, no trolling
Did anyone see GGG fight at his early 30s? this guys was a freak. Dos anyone see Canelo at 40 beating GGG 32 years old version?
Did you see what he did with prime Lemieux?
I know Marco Rubio was 36 when they fought but GGG knocked him out with one punch, that little hook on the top of the head trademark.
When GGG fought Murata he landed a dozen of those with very moderate effect.

40 years old is too old for boxers, I was expecting an ugly TKO Canelo victory on this fight, GGG actually surprised me. But Canelo said his hand was broken so maybe that explains it..

Anyone really think they watched an ATG in there tonight? I saw two boxers past their primes. GGG through almost 50% less punches than in the rematch and Canelo threw less also.

Anyone really think they watched an ATG in there tonight? I saw two boxers past their primes. GGG through almost 50% less punches than in the rematch and Canelo threw less also.

Name an ATG and I’ll name a performance where they didn’t look like one.

Name an ATG and I’ll name a performance where they didn’t look like one.

So that's a no to my question. Cool. I can't think of any atg's in their prime who looked avg vs a 40 year old. Manny was lighting up Marquez before he got caught.

So that's a no to my question. Cool. I can't think of any atg's in their prime who looked avg vs a 40 year old. Manny was lighting up Marquez before he got caught.

Canelo did not put on an ATG performance last night. For the record I don’t think he is an ATG yet, but he’s well on his way.

Judging a guys career off one (winning) performance is dumb.

As expected, a clear decision for Canelo, who was nowhere near of being able to KO GGG.
I also think that GGG took it safe, he knew it would be impossible to win on scorecards or KO Canelo, so he played safe until he saw Canelo fading, but he's clearly too old now, reflexes are simply not there.
Same for Canelo, he knew he wasn't going to KO him, so he was content in coasting to a safe decision.

I always viewed GGG as the best of the two, and this fight, in my view, confirms it, a 32 years old GGG would have blasted a 40 years old Canelo.
Or, the 32 years old GGG would have overwhelmed this 32 years old Canelo from round 1.

168 pounds is simply too much for a 5.7" Canelo, he never had the best cardio and fades in the later rounds, but with the extra weight is even more visible, he should stay at 160 which was is best weight.

For GGG, he can retire, but he can also continue fighting lesser fighters for money, the mentioned Lara fight is a great one, he surely won't be knocked out, and can still get a few great payments.

Wow! That was a better fight than some expected. Golovkin did well in spots! Great win for Canelo!

Wow! That was a better fight than some expected. Golovkin did well in spots! Great win for Canelo!
GGG had his moments when Canelo was tired. Otherwise he looked absolutely terrible, like he shouldn't even be in there. So it doesn't really count.

canelo-golovkin-trilogy-scorecards.jpg

Canelo definitely won but the story of the event is how insanely biased the DAZN crew was in Canelo's favor. I reiterate that Canelo deserved the decision but, the scores were not crazy. The controversy comes from the DAZN broadcasters, especially Jacobs, describing a fight that simply wasn't happening. Neither fighter was ever hurt but they kept saying GGG was afraid when he was clearly pacing himself.

Canelos greatness wasn't dependent on this fight. He was already a great fighter.
Your boy Benavidez has a split decision win over Ron Gavrill. He looked crappy in that fight. I guess he'll never be great.

Canelos greatness wasn't dependent on this fight. He was already a great fighter.
Your boy Benavidez has a split decision win over Ron Gavrill. He looked crappy in that fight. I guess he'll never be great.

how did you actually score the fight? out of curiosity.

No BS, no trolling
Did anyone see GGG fight at his early 30s? this guys was a freak. Dos anyone see Canelo at 40 beating GGG 32 years old version?
Did you see what he did with prime Lemieux?
I know Marco Rubio was 36 when they fought but GGG knocked him out with one punch, that little hook on the top of the head trademark.
When GGG fought Murata he landed a dozen of those with very moderate effect.

40 years old is too old for boxers, I was expecting an ugly TKO Canelo victory on this fight, GGG actually surprised me. But Canelo said his hand was broken so maybe that explains it..
lol'd at "prime Lemieux."

118/110 Canelo but I gave both of the first rounds to Canelo, I saw some gave Golovkin those rounds.

same score. I gave the entire first half of the fight to Canelo. I could see it as close as 116-112 Canelo but that even feels too close. GGG landed 14 power shots in the first half

Scored it 116/112 Canelo. Though not a barn burner still thought this was an interesting fight. Surprised how defensively responsible GGG was and that he looked fresher down the stretch. Interesting to see how he goes on at 160. Feel like Canelos performance was a little flat, maybe the hand was bothering him or maybe those two are just that well matched.

Surprised how defensively responsible GGG was and that he looked fresher down the stretch.
I think he fought a smart fight, he knew he wasn't going to KO Canelo, or even win a decision, so he played it safe.
He opened a bit after Canelo faded, but even then, always prioritizing safety, he was clearly "afraid" of Canelo counters.

And the same for Canelo, he knew he wouldn't KO him, and a decision was "guaranteed", so he also played safe, he was also "afraid" of GGG power.

In this sense, it was a bit of a let down, i was hopping Canelo would really try to KO him, and the same for GGG, i wanted him to give everything chasing for a KO, as it was the only chance he had to win.
But both were content with playing it safe, and all things considered, it was an entertaining fight.

Back