Is Paddy actually a draw?

Didn't you say the same thing about O'Malley?

I said O’Malley was unproven and had lost his only major test prior to Yan. That’s very different than what I’m saying about Paddy, which is he has clear and obvious holes in his game that will bite him in the ass as he climbs up the rankings.

He's all I'm hearing about lately MMA related.

Bigger draw than most but I don't think it'll last very long. They can only protect him for so long if they are going to continue to promote him the way they do

I guess he is a star in the UK, in this side of the world, he is just a popular guy, a very popular guy tho, will the people PAY to watch him? not sure, i mean, if he does 500k, but another 1 million PPV star is not easy and fighting no name prelim guys will not cut it for PPV headliner.

Post fight interview of him has more views than the main event combined, Rosas Jr kid has more views than Anklaev, actually Jan has twice the views, i guess being a Dagestani not speaking English hurts his popularity.

Pereira doesnt speak English yet his post fight interview has 1.9m views, Pimblett has 1.4m, UFC 281 Poirier has 800k...Makhachev's UFC 280 interview has 3.7m, way more time equals more views but i thing the big chunk of views comes from the first few days.

Everyone on these boards talk about him, and he's popular with hardcore fans (and huge in England), but does anyone really care outside of UFC fans? Is he actually a STAR???
I asked a handful of my friends who are serious sports fans and none of them had ever heard of him. They had all heard of Conor, Khabib, Liddell and to a lesser extent, Jones and Silva.
I wanna know has he actually impacted the views and PPV buyrate for this last card? Or do we just assume he's a star because Sherdog and all the websites are always talking about him.
Why are you talking like Paddy is only popular among "hardcore" fans and a random message board like Sherdog? Obviously he is very popular outside of it. I don't even think he is popular on Sherdog...

And what kind of standard is "anyone outside of UFC fans" - they're literally the ones that matter. Obviously Paddy Pimblet is not as well known as Khabib. Is Randy Savage as well known as Hulk Hogan? Is Luka Doncic not a star because he's not as popular as Steph Curry?

There are different levels to being a draw. Paddy Pimblet is popular on social media which is plenty relevant. Paddy is only a few fights into the UFC and he has fought absolute nobodies so obviously he would not sell an entire PPV by himself. The last PPV of the year had almost no names on it and was a poor card in general. This PPV is not going to sell well I would think.

Paddy is popular with people who casually watch the sport and are not fanatical - that's what a casual fan actually is. Someone who watches only UFC PPV's once a month at UFC parties and stuff like that - they know who Paddy Pimblet. Connor McGregor is a household name - he is beyond "casual fandom" which is why your friends know who Connor is.

Paddy hasn't fought or beat anyone and yet the Paul brothers talk to him. That wouldn't happen if he was a nobody. For a guy who has been in the UFC for like 2 seconds and has fought cans that are cut as soon as he beats them, he has a good following.

I honestly don't get how a grown man can be a fan of someone like Paddy. His haircut is stupid, everything he say is also stupid. His accent is even more annoying than Darren Till's. The only thing keeping him successful all this time is because majority of world especially sports fans are also stupid. He only has that relateable value of being stupid.

But to answer the question.... He hasn't been proven to be a star yet because he never become the main event or co-main event in PPV until this last card. We don't how his numbers perform yet.
Some people who act like paddy aren't as dumb as you think

He is at that point of a Conor before the Aldo fight..................in his next few fights he'll have to prove he can hang and if he can his stardom will blow up big time. He has everyone's attention just like O'Malley but to keep it he has to shock us in the cage. If he can come through in a massive moment when hardly anyone with a brain is giving him chance, then watch out he'll be a big time draw.

He is at that point of a Conor before the Aldo fight..................in his next few fights he'll have to prove he can hang and if he can his stardom will blow up big time. He has everyone's attention just like O'Malley but to keep it he has to shock us in the cage. If he can come through in a massive moment when hardly anyone with a brain is giving him chance, then watch out he'll be a big time draw.

Conor was way more popular and before Aldo he beat Mendes in a big ppv. More importantly he can fight unlike Paddy who just went life and death with someone outside the top 15.

Paddy is more a CM Punk type fighter who Dana will need to find poor opposition for but will never be a star cause he isn’t elite.

I don't know. From the numbers I saw online from interviews etc, it seemed to me that Till was drawing similar number of views on many interviews. I don't know that for certain though.

I honestly don't get how a grown man can be a fan of someone like Paddy. His haircut is stupid, everything he say is also stupid. His accent is even more annoying than Darren Till's. The only thing keeping him successful all this time is because majority of world especially sports fans are also stupid. He only has that relateable value of being stupid.

But to answer the question.... He hasn't been proven to be a star yet because he never become the main event or co-main event in PPV until this last card. We don't how his numbers perform yet.

No offense to anyone but his fan base is a bunch of white guys…

Paddy a hypocrite, he has problem with Colby putting on an act yet he his doing the same thing

my friend watched UFC again for the first time in a while and he said the only fighter he'd be interested in seeing again is Paddy Pimblett.

I'm in the UK. I can echo what was said above. Outside of hardcore MMA fans no one knows who he is. He might be popular in Liverpool.

He had potential since he’s been navigating the social media platform well, and was generating momentum by winning a few fights.

Pretty sure that’s gone now. Killed the good will with the Ariel Helwani stuff, then made it even worse when he was gifted a decision and tried to act like he dominated the fight.

There’s no real way of knowing. He fought at the Apex. Then two fights in London. Where he is a wildly popular fan favourite.

All 3 of those were free fightnight cards. You can’t draw big conclusions from them. Lots of people will watch whatever for free. But would they actually pay to watch it?

Only this last fight was a ppv. It was headlined by two LHW, fighting for an interim title. And neither of those guys is a “draw”.

So Paddy is the Co-main. Without official numbers of ppv buys, there is just no way to know anything.

If the thing sold a million ppvs. We would have a clear answer. But, it probably did not sell well.

So he clearly can’t draw ppv sales on his own, imo. Or Dana would be bragging about the numbers from 282. He’d have to headline a ppv. Stacked, or not. And the official ppv sales would conclusively answer that question.

But, with that performance. I don’t think he will be any kind of draw at all. He can bring eyes to free cards. He can sellout a venue in England, on his own.

But, I can’t see him selling more than 300K-400K ppv on his own. So, imo.. The answer is that he is NOT a draw. Not for ppv.

He’s a legit draw. White men are still mmas biggest target market. White men find scousrer, hobbits, euro belonging etc all appealing
He isn't a draw because he's white. He's a draw because he has the gift of gab and isn't afraid to speak his mind. He also hasn't lost a fight in over 4 years.

I said O’Malley was unproven and had lost his only major test prior to Yan. That’s very different than what I’m saying about Paddy, which is he has clear and obvious holes in his game that will bite him in the ass as he climbs up the rankings.
Yeah I'm pretty sure you said Sean was going to get smashed as soon as he fought a real fighter. And his loss to Vera didn't really impress much. Vera landed a kick, not even that hard, in the right spot and Sean's leg went dead. Until that, it was pretty clear Sean was setting him up just like he did to all the others, including Yan. Since then Sean's kick-checking has improved quite a bit, and fighters trying to land that same kick are failing and even getting tagged for their efforts. You should be thankful I'm teaching you about MMA for nothing.

Back