Do We Continue Being Fans?

notsojollyroger

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Respectfully, Is anyone torn about being MMA fans? I'm pro-equality so the Dana White return slap wouldn't be so bad if he didn't follow it up with a combo.

Now there's this Phil Baroni mess.

War Machine was rough too, but he was a stand-out problem.

Another fighter who took LSD and tore his friend's heart out, literally. Forget his name.

The older I get the more I believe in karma. Maybe being a fan is negative karma. I still want to watch and no judgement to anyone who does. Is anyone else sitting on the fence?

I don't mean to upset anyone.

This is a serious issue. Please no jokes and no drama.

I'll watch dudes getting CTE for as long as they're willingly signing up to receive it.

<{JustBleed}>

Nobody is forcing these meatheads to make money travelling around bragging to chicks thats they're UFC fighters. The benefits are obvious, especially for folks from low-income backgrounds...

Live fast die young... For many people its preferable to the grind of normality/being broke in a favela or Dagestani village somewhere...

Let them bang.

It's complicated. If we don't watch, metaphorically, as combat sports fans, then does that mean the freedom to fight and cause another human pain, under consensual and fair guidelines, shouldn't exist either? I would find it somewhat tragic if, after a lifetime of studying martial arts, there were no (legal) way to test out how effective they truly are. Getting paid, sometimes handsomely for it, is the icing on top, but also its own set of moral dilemmas. Because money leads to exploitation, which the history of combat sports is littered with. So by watching, you support profiteering, people getting brain damage for peanuts, but you also give martial artists and people with dreams and in poverty legit chances to succeed.

To me it's about martial arts, consensual hand to hand combat, competition, honor, technique, human exprsssion etc. There's not much I love more than combat sports and this is a free-form platform to mold and utilize it in the freest and purist of ways. I love MMA, martial arts and combat sports, human athleticism. The sport has bettered more lives than its hurt. It has saved more lives than it has taken.

There's been thousands of fighters signed to the UFC and tens of thousands of people who have competed in MMA over the last 30 years, perhaps more. We will get these stories from time to time, just as other sports do. A married couple who are drinking, getting pissed off and slapping each other is, even though terrible, a super normal event that happens across the world in every country, everyday. The Baroni, Joe Son, War Machine stories etc don't make me question watching martial arts and MMA just as the Kellerman murder, the Ike Ibeabuchi rape, or the Tank Davis and Floyd domestic abuse cases dont make me want to quit watching boxing. Hell there's painters and movie directors that were horrible people and did horrible things, quite many actually but I still love art and cinema too.

It's a shame, it's sad...To me it's not what MMA is about at all and when I hear " they're cage fighters, what do you expect" it hurts me a bit inside. These tragedies that happen are unfortunate and perhaps brain trauma is a partial cause, although I think there's a lack of science behind it and I've never seen math to compare the rate at which it happens in MMA related to normal national amounts either. Regardless, I'm not torn whether to keep watching or not but I do hate that these things happen.

Last edited:
I agree. Fighting is horrible.

Just people hitting each other trying to break bones.

I wish I never trained, never got punched so much. Wish I was a Tenis fan.

But we can change. It's a habbit that leads you nowhere productive.

Is what it is.

Encouraging young people to get cte and health problems.

Yeah, people dying in crashes doesn't stop people watching motorsports so I feel like I'm morally okay.

It's complicated. If we don't watch, metaphorically, as combat sports fans, then does that mean the freedom to fight and cause another human pain, under consensual and fair guidelines, shouldn't exist either? I would find it somewhat tragic if, after a lifetime of studying martial arts, there were no (legal) way to test out how effective they truly are. Getting paid, sometimes handsomely for it, is the icing on top, but also its own set of moral dilemmas. Because money leads to exploitation, which the history of combat sports is littered with. So by watching, you support profiteering, people getting brain damage for peanuts, but you also give martial artists and people with dreams and in poverty legit chances to succeed.

The richest fighters are the most brain damaged. Increase pay so more people wanna do it.

I agree. Fighting is horrible.

Just people hitting each other trying to break bones.

I wish I never trained, never got punched so much. Wish I was a Tenis fan.

But we can change. It's a habbit that leads you nowhere productive.

Is what it is.

Encouraging young people to get cte and health problems.
I agree. We are all one! Am gonna start taking ballet lessons and join a yoga class.

@Trabaho this man is my new inspiration to stay away from fighting and violence:

lol no. if we stop supporting every career that some fuck ups happen to take up we would literally be able to support nothing. there's cunts in all avenues of life. there's way more dispicable politicians all across the world that span all of time yet nobody is acting like we should do away with governments.

Back