News Jon Jones vs. Cyril Gane. UFC 285. March, 4th (Jones Confirms in Video)

Who Wins?

• Total voters
I would love seeing a good Jon Jones Performance but i suspect time has taken its toll and Gane will have more hunger and has ability.

Gane wins this i think.

Reactions: kuf
I'll believe it happens if it doesn't end in a NC or DQ. Picto will have that Uncle GoofSlap USADA privilege though so I suppose it doesn't matter.

Would love Gane to win, but if Ngannou can wrestle-fuck him....he's in big, big trouble here.

I am legit shocked that the UFC are only giving themselves a few weeks to promote this. Thought they'd milk this build for an eternity.

Shades of GSP getting a favorable matchup with Left Eye Bisping for that second belt.

Gane is good. But he is too calculated and will give Jones too much opportunity to grapple him. He has only got two UFC opponents out before round 3.

I think Francis would have slept Jones just like he did to Blaydes twice. He would have been far better equipped to deal with the early TD threat and his power would have been too much for Jones.

Strange how many people I've seen think Gane is his worst matchup. Probably one of his best, no?
It's his worst matchup... 2 year layoff, and Gane would be the most talented fighter he's ever fought. That might sound crazy at first, but it's really not when you look back. DC's up there, but held back by the ridiculous height and reach disadvantage. Gane will look VIRTUALLY IDENTICAL to Jones in stature. Whatever few inches he'll give up in reach, he'll more than make up in his natural heavyweight frame compared to a bloated Jones.

Cardio was the one thing Jones had going for him in a potential matchup with Francis, if he could just survive long enough to impose his skills. But here, Gane is the better striker. He has both the power, and presumably the cardio advantage at heavyweight. Clearly Jon will have to come in with a grappling heavy gameplan, but he hasn't been able to grapple shit lately at 205.

I think Jon pulls out of this one.

Not in clinch grappling, clinch striking, fence grappling, ground positioning top or bottom, ground and pound offense or defense, every aspect of submissions. Furthermore experience, cardio, possibly durability, certain kicks, spinning shit and every dirty trick in the book.

Favor Gane all you want, he is a worthy possible winner, but your statement is wrong.
Gane is a monster in the clinch. So is Jones though.

It's his worst matchup... 2 year layoff, and Gane would be the most talented fighter he's ever fought. That might sound crazy at first, but it's really not when you look back. DC's up there, but held back by the ridiculous height and reach disadvantage. Gane will look VIRTUALLY IDENTICAL to Jones in stature. Whatever few inches he'll give up in reach, he'll more than make up in his natural heavyweight frame compared to a bloated Jones.

Cardio was the one thing Jones had going for him in a potential matchup with Francis, if he could just survive long enough to impose his skills. But here, Gane is the better striker. He has both the power, and presumably the cardio advantage at heavyweight. Clearly Jon will have to come in with a grappling heavy gameplan, but he hasn't been able to grapple shit lately at 205.

Jones doesn’t have to implement a wrestle-heavy game plan for the entire fight, he only needs to do it for 2.5 rounds. He also has an advantage in the clinch and is unrivalled in fight IQ.

Gane’s power isn’t scary, either.

The UFC knows what it’s doing, so does Jon. Gane has a real chance at winning, but the UFC knows Gane winning would delegitimize the belt.

Gane is not more talented than DC, and height/reach aren't talents. If general size is an issue, it's one Jones would have against most heavyweights in varying ways, so it's not a Gane-exclusive problem, and neither is the 2 year layoff. Cardio is the biggest variable you've suggested, but one competely untested for Jon at HW, and one I figure he'd also have a problem with against Blaydes

Jones doesn’t have to implement a wrestle-heavy game plan for the entire fight, he only needs to do it for 2.5 rounds. He also has an advantage in the clinch and is unrivalled in fight IQ.

Gane’s power isn’t scary, either.

The UFC knows what it’s doing, so does Jon. Gane has a real chance at winning, but the UFC knows Gane winning would delegitimize the belt.
This is kind of assuming Jones will be the best version of himself. He hasn't looked good in his last couple fights. Last we saw him, they actually had to rob Dominick Reyes.

Then you look at his heavyweight training videos, and he looks like an old out of shape fighter on the brink of retirement.

Reactions: kuf
Jones' cardio maybe the deciding factor. Also, heavy weights who are pillow fisted also flat line light heavyweights easily. HW power is different.

Gane is not more talented than DC, and height/reach aren't talents. If general size is an issue, it's one Jones would have against most heavyweights in varying ways, so it's not a Gane-exclusive problem, and neither is the 2 year layoff. Cardio is the biggest variable you've suggested, but one competely untested for Jon at HW, and one I figure he'd also have a problem with against Blaydes
To move like Gane does at his size is talent. He really does look and fight like a massive Wonderboy.

Gane is even less of a threat than Francis because hes bringing nothing Jones hasn't faced. His whole threat is being the most skilled HW but he couldn't win a decision against an injured Francis. Gane was having trouble with Tai too.

Reyes and Gus were 6 ft 4 and 6 ft 5. The size is a challenge for Jones but it's not a new one and while Gane is bigger that also makes him less mobile and explosive. Unlike Francis that added weight does not come with the power to take out Jones in 1 shot. Thing about Jones that is most underrated is his steel chin and it's not talked about so much because it's been so rarely tested.

Gane didn't exactly have "troubles" with Tai IMO
He easily bagged the first round, then got knocked down in the second but immediately blasted Tai after getting up, winning the second round too... then he finished him in the 3rd.

I know that on Sherdog, Tuivasa, now that he's lost to Pavlovich, he's a bum that was never any good in the first place, and his shoe gimmick was cringe... but when he fought Ciryl he was on a badass winning streak and had just destroyed Black Beast, (and his shoey fanbase was quite large)
No shame in not just running though him with zero difficulty at this point in his career.

Gane lost a very, very close fight against Ngannou; Ciryl won the first 2 rounds, Francis won the next 2, and the 5th is the decisive one...
Sure, Ngannou got that takedown after Gane started the round by landing some good shots, but he didn't nothing with it, while Ciryl threatened him with a couple subs from the bottom (one of them pretty deep)

Anyway, I was rooting for Bon Gamin, so I might be biased, but it seemed like a good performance and I really wanted to watch a rematch.
A fight with Jon Jones is even better though.

I really wanted to watch Ngannou vs HW 100% Horse meat'd Jones
What a spectacle it would have been

I think Gane beats Jones in the stand-up, no problems there, but if Jones panic wrestles, well I hope Fernand Lopez hired some good wrestling coaches this time...
No one cares about wrestling in France, so they'll really have to dig deep... what's Steeve Guénot doing these days?

He was one of the only local talents from my generation, won France's first Olympic Gold Medal in Greco-Roman Wrestling ever, and his older brother Christophe had won a Bronze Medal at the same games, 2008 in Pékin... hey that's funny, just realized that in English we don't call the capital of China, Beijing, the same way the French do.
That clears up some confusions from my past.

In France they use the romanized translation Pékin/"Peking"
Both Beijing and Peking actually refer to the same two characters in Chinese, that is, 北京. Their different spellings are a result of them being products of different romanisation systems. Beijing, the newer of the two, is based on Hanyu Pinyin, which is the current standard romanisation system for Mandarin Chinese. Whereas Peking is based on the archaic Chinese postal romanisation system developed during the late Qing dynasty.

Fascinating stuff. Anyway, <{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}>

... but in 2014, Steve Guénot didn't show up at an anti-dopage control and got disqualified from whatever competition he was in and it sucks how MMA wasn't legalized in France yet because he was still young and could have made a great transition, or he could have become a wrestling coach for a French MMA team like Diabaté's Snake Team

His brother Chris could have also been a coach, such waste.

So yeah, war Gane, and I really hope MMA Factory invests in some good wrestling coaches, if they haven't already... Taylor Lapilus is also a great talent with solid hands, and went 3-1 in the UFC and all, his BJJ is okay but his wrestling could use some help IIRC

Cool announcement, and it's only in 3 months, I like it.

Its great that Stipe wasn't rewarded for sitting out for the past two years and refusing to fight contenders to earn his way back. As if the UFC HW title was his birthright.

Blaydes obviously deserved to fight for the title over Gane and Jones but hopefully he will get that title shot next.

They hate Blaydes.

He'll absolutely have to beat Pavlovich first while Stipe fights Jones-Gane winner

They hate Blaydes.

He'll absolutely have to beat Pavlovich first while Stipe fights Jones-Gane winner

Blaydes lost twice against Ngannou, the 2nd matchup only lasted about 45 seconds. I can’t see the UFC pushing him to a title right now, it would delegitimize the belt in the eyes of many IMO.

They’re hoping Jones wins. He’s never lost against Ngannou, so the UFC could just claim that Francis is scared to fight him, it’s an easy way to move on.

I can see Jones beating Gane and Blaydes but don’t see him beating Sergei. Jones chin will proshllg go in that fight but that’s if he event continues to fight

Back