Television ANDOR (Dragonlord's Recommendation: One of the Best TV Shows of 2022, post #439)

Absolutely loved this series. It did lack a certain quirkiness that i associate with Star Wars but i enjoyed this more gritty take on the franchise and can't wait for the next season.

Just finished the show.

Finally, a star wars show seemingly for mature audience. I love the fact that there are no cartoonish depiction of stereotype characters, especially the villains. Rather than good buy/bad guy dichotomy, it feels more like a protagonist/antagonist dynamic is at play between rebels and empire. Also enjoy disney content without sjw content for a change. Glad they actually respect the audience for a change.

I wonder if the show will ever get back to Cassian looking for his sister or was it just a plot device to get him in trouble to start his story.

Damn. This show didn't really grab my attention when it first came out just because I didn't really like Rogue One very much so I didn't care about the character.. and I read this thread after the first few episodes and it was getting hated on.

But holy shit it was great! Glad I waited because it was an excellent binge.. and honestly I love the 40 minute episodes and the fact there's 12 in a season.. it never really got boring or tedious like most shows do.

The only thing I wish we got was a little more conclusion.. very little reward for a season finale. Hopefully season two really gets crazy.

Damn. This show didn't really grab my attention when it first came out just because I didn't really like Rogue One very much so I didn't care about the character.. and I read this thread after the first few episodes and it was getting hated on.

But holy shit it was great! Glad I waited because it was an excellent binge.. and honestly I love the 40 minute episodes and the fact there's 12 in a season.. it never really got boring or tedious like most shows do.

The only thing I wish we got was a little more conclusion.. very little reward for a season finale. Hopefully season two really gets crazy.

I would say though say thats because the show took a rather different route to most series in terms of how it built its drama, it didnt focus on just individual episodes but it also didnt just build to a climax across the series, instead it focused on 3 episode blocks(well 2 at the end) building up a mini film lenght arc in each of them.

I'd say really beyond the general quality that is part of what helped it come across as cinematic as its dividing its plots into film length blocks.

I came into this series pretty late so I avoided the thread. Just finished up last week.

Pleasantly surprised at the acting and the writing.

Finishing the season left me with the same takeaway I had after seeing The Dark Knight for the first time.

This is legitimately good. Not good for a starwars series or good for a superhero movie (tdk), but actually good.

For the people from the UK, did you recognise Trevor from Eastenders as the fat Sergeant assisting the Inspector? Haven't seen him since he left that show.

Recognised him from " The Devil's Hour" with Peter Capaldi.

Watched 3 episodes of Andor so far and stopped. Not that fussed by it. I'll try again

Recognised him from " The Devil's Hour" with Peter Capaldi.

Watched 3 episodes of Andor so far and stopped. Not that fussed by it. I'll try again

It starts slow and its only real issue is actually pacing

It gets going around episode 6 if i remember.correctly

Had to bump this thread just to say screw you guys for talking this show up so much. I made it through 8 episodes and almost nothing happens. This is one of the slowest dullest shows Ive even seen. It had moments of decency but were upended by scene after scene of just sitting around and planning. Series could have been finished in 5-6 episodes easily. I liked Rouge One too (best star wars movie since ROTS) but this was just boring. They should just make Happy the Feige of Star wars, no one gets it better than he does.

Had to bump this thread just to say screw you guys for talking this show up so much. I made it through 8 episodes and almost nothing happens. This is one of the slowest dullest shows Ive even seen. It had moments of decency but were upended by scene after scene of just sitting around and planning. Series could have been finished in 5-6 episodes easily. I liked Rouge One too (best star wars movie since ROTS) but this was just boring. They should just make Happy the Feige of Star wars, no one gets it better than he does.

why-are-you-geh.gif

why-are-you-gae-meme.gif

Sorry to hear you have poor tastes. What was good about the show? Which characters can you say you actually liked?
ROTS and the prequels are garbage. Sorry to hear you have poor tastes because on an almost objective level the SW prequels are terrible cinema outside of a few good ideas and of course the music.

I like the entire cast, even the side characters. If I had to choose a favorite probably Luthen or Dedra despite rooting against her.

What is good about the show is the writing generally, characters, dialogue, acting, political intrigue, world building, family drama (Mon of course) and how that ties in with the politics, arcs, atmosphere, characterization, cinematography, monologues, sound, music, sets and general high attention to detail. The show is dripping with atmosphere and there isn't a poorly written character in it. Everyone feels real and like they matter.

It arguably could be paced better at parts particularly the start (first 3 or so episodes though I like the way it starts) but for me I can forgive that because of the rest of the positives.

To go back to this I would say though that I think the original films and Rogue One/Andor are also quite reflective of the ideology of their eras.

I think you could argue that really the sixties counter culture movement that Lucas grew up in and drew on for SW was dealing with an environment were deference of authority was one of the dominant forces of the establishment. The idea that an individual had the choice to stand up against something they disagreed with was strongly discouraged in the culture that had grown up in the 50's, the era of suburban conformity. or indeed small-town conformity were the farmboy stays home.

Fast forward to recent years and there I think deference to authority is no longer as big a tool of the establishment, rather were in an era were the establishment looks to reduce every issue is the actions of a few celebrities so seeing them arise from the ground level is now takes a position more akin to the originals.

It does also for me highlight part of why the sequels are such a betrayal of SW, for one thing JJ Abrams simply isnt a film maker of any substance but also I feel like the politics of these films are the politics of the establishment, just the centralist democrat side of it. The Holdo story in Last Jedi especially really what is that saying? basically that those lower down who think they are doing the moral thing should really just obey their masters who are empowered by position and some kind of tokenism, its "Bernie Bros" in space with Vice Admiral Hilary as the hero.

To go back to this I would say though that I think the original films and Rogue One/Andor are also quite reflective of the ideology of their eras.

I think you could argue that really the sixties counter culture movement that Lucas grew up in and drew on for SW was dealing with an environment were deference of authority was one of the dominant forces of the establishment. The idea that an individual had the choice to stand up against something they disagreed with was strongly discouraged in the culture that had grown up in the 50's, the era of suburban conformity. or indeed small-town conformity were the farmboy stays home.

Fast forward to recent years and there I think deference to authority is no longer as big a tool of the establishment, rather were in an era were the establishment looks to reduce every issue is the actions of a few celebrities so seeing them arise from the ground level is now takes a position more akin to the originals.

It does also for me highlight part of why the sequels are such a betrayal of SW, for one thing JJ Abrams simply isnt a film maker of any substance but also I feel like the politics of these films are the politics of the establishment, just the centralist democrat side of it. The Holdo story in Last Jedi especially really what is that saying? basically that those lower down who think they are doing the moral thing should really just obey their masters who are empowered by position and some kind of tokenism, its "Bernie Bros" in space with Vice Admiral Hilary as the hero.
Yeah I definitely agree. Also, I hadn't considered deeply the era of which they were made contributing to the different messaging, that's an excellent observation.

Agreed about the sequels too, TLJ I thought was going somewhere and at least tried to do something but upholds exactly what you're saying and goes back on anything remotely interesting it had going for it. Not to mention that even by the film's internal logic Poe was correct re: his disagreements with Leia and Holdo. It's also betrayal of Leia's character, she was literally a Rebel leader in the originals, I would think she'd appreciate someone going against the grain for the greater good, especially when it clearly made sense to do so.

Sorry to hear you have poor tastes. What was good about the show? Which characters can you say you actually liked?

You just didn't like the show, that's all there is to it. Most people love it.

It happens sometimes, people talk about better call saul as one of the greatest show ever made. I stuck with it so long waiting for it to get less boring, never did.

ROTS and the prequels are garbage. Sorry to hear you have poor tastes because on an almost objective level the SW prequels are terrible cinema outside of a few good ideas and of course the music.

I like the entire cast, even the side characters. If I had to choose a favorite probably Luthen or Dedra despite rooting against her.

What is good about the show is the writing generally, characters, dialogue, acting, political intrigue, world building, family drama (Mon of course) and how that ties in with the politics, arcs, atmosphere, characterization, cinematography, monologues, sound, music, sets and general high attention to detail. The show is dripping with atmosphere and there isn't a poorly written character in it. Everyone feels real and like they matter.

It arguably could be paced better at parts particularly the start (first 3 or so episodes though I like the way it starts) but for me I can forgive that because of the rest of the positives.
For the record I don't actually think you have poor taste for liking ROTS. The point is, like what you like, it's all good, we're not all gonna like nor appreciate the same shit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GringoRonin
Back