Rumored To no surprise Jons retirement fight will be against Stipe

Would Bones’ HW-run be a success if he was to retire after defending against Stipe?

• Total voters
The UFC only offers 6 and 8 fight deals with clauses to renegotiate, they never offer deals shorter than that. It doesn't mean Jon plans to fight that many times. N'Gannou offered to fight Jones and resign with the UFC but didn't want to do more than a 3 fight contract and they refused.
No, he said they offered him a 3 fight contract. He said they made an exception for him. He said that to Helwani. But no health benefits for fighters, nobody on behalf of fighters in the meetings of WME and also they said no to other bullshit I don't remember he "demanded".

Yeah exactly, his trainging probably costed more than hes making in 2 fights
He said on twitter that he was making 5-6 million per fight back then and he was "upset" with his contract. Now he says he is "very happy" with his contract. The dude actually sells a lot of PPV unlike Ngannou who was offered 8 million for this fight. Yeah, I don't know, man...

i wonder if there is more money in retiring undefeated in a position like jones or to continue fighting to pick up big pay checks and risk the loss. to me is seems like he could maintain a lot more brand deals if he retired undefeated and keeps his image clean. maybe not though.
the fact that hes fighting stipe is impressive. he doesn't need too. it can be a hard fight for him on paper depending on how stipe has aged. i'm skeptical the fight happens still but if he does and he wins i think jon should ride off into the sunset and work on deals outside of fighting since his resume as long as he stays clean can probably earn him some big money easy.
if he beats stipe and wants to beat the hw title defense record that would take him another 4-5 fights i think? seems unrealistic but given the state of the division if he can roll out 3-4 fights a year its possible. he is fighting way past his prime already though so hes upping the risk every outing now.
If he beats stipe, he would just need 1 more defense to tie the HW title defense record, and 2 more defenses to not only be LHW GOAT, but HW GOAT, & undoubted MMA GOAT entirely.

Jon waited for the perfect opportunity.

If he retires after Stipe, we'll know the HW thing was a sham.

And it'll hurt his legacy.

He will keep fighting as long as he can "take advantage" of the right opponents. If Ngannou didn't leave, jones would have stayed retired. You can keep pushing the "goat" narrative but it rings hollow if you truly follow what he has done. His last fight looked like a fix and even his most die-hard fans have to admit his "3 years to bulk up and gain muscle" excuse for taking so long to step in at heavyweight was bullshit after seeing his physique in the Gane fight. I am not a hater but I don't like anything that he represents in the fight game either. Now that the UFC is truly a WWE type company, the competition will always remain suspect but jones is the biggest star the UFC has right now and that doesn't bode well for us as fans.
<Dany07>
<36>
Reyes is better than those guys tho.

But people have this idea "biggerer is betterer" so he'll get more credit for fighting worse competition. This is where Jones haters fucked up. If he'd stayed at LHW he'd very likely have caught a loss sooner or later shit was getting real. By demanding he go to HW Jones haters made their worst nightmare of Jones retiring as the undefeated undisputed GOAT reality.

It's quite poetic actually.

<YeahOKJen>

No, Gane is definitely better than Reyes, and FYI, Jones did beat Reyes, no matter how desperately you, or anyone else, tries to be disillusioned to reality and say otherwise.

Jones has never been beaten, and that's reality. (Technically has a loss, which should've been a DQ, but still, nobody has beaten Jones)

<JonesLaugh>

nganou left the ufc because he was so scared of getting a loss at jones
a loss from jones means he would never had a chance of a big payday on boxing
nganou was offer the biggest money in the UFC HW history but refused
he was too greedy seeking that big boxing payday
facts are facts
I like your enthusiasm but you get bad marks for moronity.... Ngannou was begging jones to step up for 2 years and jones kept refusing because "the UFC was a slave company and didn't pay him enough." Remember that the motherfucker was asking for 30 million to fight Ngannou and as soon as he left, he settled for a few million plus points.

Don't be such a fan that you become delusional.

It was obvious he wasnt gonna fight after beating 41yo Stipe to anyone with a brain. Confirms it here.

Hes not retiring lol ..

He just floating the idea to piss Dana off during negotiations...

There having issues getting this fight set

To answer the poll ..

Yes it would be...winning a belt and defending it successfully is what any champion should wish to accomplish and call successful...

He doesn't need to clear out all of HW like he did as a 23 year old kid at LHW when hes almost 40 lol...

Thats just being unrealistic...thats said i dont think he's stopping at Stipe...too much money and Glory on the table for a narcissist like Jon Jones to ignore

so many retarded shit packed into one post it’s honestly impressive

shoutout to the goat being so good though that he made beating the #1 ranked guy in the division look like a fix
Keep pushing the narrative, shill. Ngannou was asking for two years, jones waited until he was gone to fight for way less money than he was saying that he was worth and, yes, Gane used the perfect defense against two guillotine attempts... place your both palms down on the mat as hard as you can while extending your neck, hoping to break your opponent's forearms with your chin. If this doesn't work, try again.

haha.gif

Jones didn't look good to me against Gane. I think Gane's grappling is just that terrible.

If Stipe isn't much slower than Jones at heavyweight, I mean by that, if Stipe can keep up with Jone's speed, I got 40 some year old Stipe to beat Jones, unless Jones is somewhat close to his prime self. I don't think he is or would be.
I agree man, impressive as hell, but I thought Jones looked really sluggish

Stipe is old though so I still think Jon will beat him

I was under the impression you died of shame after the Gane fight.
The shame is that I still hold some belief that the UFC will eventually come through and pit the best guys in the world against each other...

Until then, I have to put up with shit like "a once in a lifetime athlete"...

Why take years to get ready for 2 fights. That is pretty dumb to me. I think he will fight 2 more times

Hes not retiring lol ..

He just floating the idea to piss Dana off during negotiations...

There having issues getting this fight set
I have no clue, but Jon doesn’t seem like the type to save a shit ton of money so you could be right

That’s why I always thought he would come back to HW, the dude probably needs more money to have enough to make it another 50 years living an upper class lifestyle with his wife/girlfriend or whatever… not to mention his four kids

What he is doing is giving himself bragging rights without really proving himself at HW. He won't risk hanging out and fighting a real HW challenge; he knows he got an easy path with Gane and Stipe.

I have no clue, but Jon doesn’t seem like the type to save a shit ton of money so you could be right

That’s why I always thought he would come back to HW, the dude probably needs more money to have enough to make it another 50 years living an upper class lifestyle with his wife/girlfriend or whatever… not to mention his four kids
Cocaine is also expensive.

<Dany07>
<36>

<YeahOKJen>

No, Gane is definitely better than Reyes, and FYI, Jones did beat Reyes, no matter how desperately you, or anyone else, tries to be disillusioned to reality and say otherwise.

Jones has never been beaten, and that's reality. (Technically has a loss, which should've been a DQ, but still, nobody has beaten Jones)

<JonesLaugh>
In his own words, he lost to Vitor Belfort. To everyone else, he has lost to Santos, Gustafson and Reyes. You can spin it all you want but the truth is what it is. He has also "won" fights that he should not have been allowed to participate in due to his steroid use. Steroids are illegal for a reason but you and jones can keep believing that "picos don't help".

Look, I don't care what his record is but White and the UFC do... look how important his "undefeated record" has become in his bid for Heavyweight dominance. A little nudge here and there, over the years, has paid HUGE dividends in the fight game today. When guys like you ask "why would the UFC fix a fight" back then, I will point out to you that it is "because of now".

Back