Media Fans are not happy with Izzy's behavior

Wasn't his surname changed/spelt differently? Not actually du plessi?

So he was french, then german, then dutch, then declined to be french again, then african.
Man that family has trouble deciding ^^ na being a Hugenotte back then was a problem.
Afrikaners are a mix of all 4 funny enough, majority of afrikaners have between 1 to 5 percent African dna, and some have more than 10 percent

No one is saying he is not African from a geographical standpoint. Of course DDP is African from a geographical standpoint. He was born there. But the term African has more subtle meanings to it which include race. He is not African from a racial standpoint. His ancestors settled in Africa from Europe.

When DDP made that comment, I believe he did it intentionally knowing it would get a rise out of Izzy. What he didn’t expect was for Izzy to take it to heart as much as he did.

I’m Canadian but my parents were born elsewhere. “Canadian” doesn’t have any racial connotations.

So when asked you never responded with Canadian?

He can say whatever the hell he wants. Free speech doesn’t make you free from criticism or accountability.

You're really not trying to gety point, right? You are moving hoal posts again. I'm not saying you can't criticize him. Not once have I said you can't say anything about anybody. So please stop trying to make this out to be like I am.

You said it was dumb what he said. So to me that days you think he could better not have said it, which to me spells giving in or surrendering to racist views.

So when asked you never responded with Canadian?

I did. Because geographically I am Canadian. Just like DDP has every right to say he’s African.

But again. Me saying I’m Canadian comes with the understanding that Canadians are from everywhere and “Canadian” isn’t ever linked closely with ethnicity. Our original inhabitants have a different term that they prefer and that’s First Nations. There are different terms. This is not the case with the term “African”.

When pressed, I delve deeper into the background of my parents.

DDP, and this is a matter of opinion, made that comment knowing the term “African” is not strictly geographical. There are also a ton of issues and baggage that is associated with White South African rule. He did it to get a rise out of Izzy and he fucking succeeded.

I did. Because geographically I am Canadian. Just like DDP has every right to say he’s African.

But again. Me saying I’m Canadian comes with the understanding that Canadians are from everywhere and “Canadian” isn’t ever linked closely with ethnicity. Our original inhabitants have a different term that they prefer and that’s First Nations. There are different terms. This is not the case with the term “African”.

When pressed, I delve deeper into the background of my parents.

DDP, and this is a matter of opinion, made that comment knowing the term “African” is not strictly geographical. There are also a ton of issues and baggage that is associated with White South African rule. He did it to get a rise out of Izzy and he fucking succeeded.

I personally think he did it because he's from Africa and proud of it. No more no less.

Especially in sport, you represent your country not some absurd genetic ethnic line. Some people are proud to rep 2. But I highly doubt a multiple generational athlete in said nation is going to say. I represent Africa, but I'm not African I'm Dutch 6 generations removed. Honestly people would probably resent that for not being grateful to their country of birth.

Anyhow. Spent enough time on this topic. We'll agree to disagree have a good one mate.

I personally think he did it because he's from Africa and proud of it. No more no less.

Especially in sport, you represent your country not some absurd genetic ethnic line. Some people are proud to rep 2. But I highly doubt a multiple generational athlete in said nation is going to say. I represent Africa, but I'm not African I'm Dutch 6 generations removed. Honestly people would probably resent that for not being grateful to their country of birth.

Anyhow. Spent enough time on this topic. We'll agree to disagree have a good one mate.

Yeah, the point of contention will always be his intent which no one on this forum can prove. Have a good one!

They’re not mutually exclusive.

DDP is African from a geographical point of view. He is not African by an ethnicity point of view. The term “African” is more closely linked to ethnicity than “Australian”.

Would you say white citizens of the USA are not Americans?
I mean they are geographically. But not ethnically.

The Afrikaans have been in SA for 400 years. About the same amount of time Europeans have been in North America...

Would you say white citizens of the USA are not Americans?
I mean they are geographically. But not ethnically.

The Afrikaans have been in SA for 400 years. About the same amount of time Europeans have been in North America...

American is not an ethnicity. The word “African” carries more nuance. That’s the point I’ve been making.

African isn't an ethnicity. Put a Moroccan, a Sudanese, an Egyptian, a Ghanaian and a Masai next to each other.

This is true. The cultural differences between the Yoruba and Somali, true ethnicities, is stark. But again I come back to nuance. African is a nuanced term. It’s not, no pun intended, black and white.

It’s a matter of opinion that DDP knew he was riding a line when he made his initial comment and did it to get a rise out of Izzy. Only DDP knows his intentions.

For being such a good fighter Izzy a fragile bitch. He's too dumb, he's not hyping the card, this is genuine hurt feelings. He's going to gloat when he wins too, we all know it, what a douche.

Izzy's tirade was dumb but he wasn't wrong. Dricus is about as African, as a dog that was born in a stable being a horse.

He can say whatever the hell he wants. Free speech doesn’t make you free from criticism or accountability.

Again, nobody said you can't criticize him. But we can criticize the criticism if we think the criticism is racist, which it is if you want to use apartheid to critize him.

Back