How would prime GSP, Jones and Silva do in their respective divisions today?

Davidjacksonjones

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Would they be champion? How many title defenses would they be able to get? Do you see any of the top fighters in the division giving them trouble or beating them?

CCOLA.jpg

01_crop_north.jpg

Realistically all three would dominate.

LHW and MW have regressed, WW has gotten far tougher but GSP back then was still a more complete fighter than most WW’s today.
Would they be even more dominant if they fought in this era compared to the previous?

I think theres a good chance they could.

GSP: champ at 170

Silva: top 3, would depend on how he does vs Pereira and Izzy. Based on how well a very washed Anderson did vs Izzy, I have to think he has a good chance at winning on his best night

Jones: would be champ at 205 until USADA gets him

GSP: champ at 170

Silva: top 3, would depend on how he does vs Pereira and Izzy. Based on how well a very washed Anderson did vs Izzy, I have to think he has a good chance at winning on his best night

Jones: would be champ at 205 until USADA gets him

Yeah I agree GSP and Jones would be champ 100 %. Silva i think has a great chance too, but I could also so Izzy beating him.
I think it will be hard for them to be dethroned

Would they be even more dominant if they fought in this era compared to the previous?

I think theres a good chance they could.

I’m sure all three would be champs, I’m sure Jones would be just as dominant. Anderson has an easier path at MW with no elite wrestlers in the top 10. GSP would unquestionably have the toughest hill to climb, I’m sure he’d get the belt and some title defenses but the next crop of WW’s is no joke. Guys like Shavkat, Khamzat, Rinat, etc would be huge threats because they embrace wrestling and have fast accurate one shot KO power.

What's the point of this thread? just D-riding the old generations and that's it or what? yes, we know they'd dominate their divisions but they won't be the GOATs forever, someday, some fighters will knock their asses off from their divisional GOAT Status, it should happen one day.

What's the point of this thread? just D-riding the old generations and that's it or what? yes, we know they'd dominate their divisions but they won't be the GOATs forever, someday, some fighters will knock their asses off from their divisional GOAT Status, it should happen one day.
Do you think Jones will ever be surpassed

I think GSP grinds a 5 round decision over Edwards, Jones smashes Hill on the ground, and Silva and Izzy get stuck in a point fighting battle anyone could win.

This thread is about a decade too soon imo.

My gut tellz me that they would do just fine & probably be about the same.

There was a bigger difference in the generationz that preceded them, but now that MMA is a standard martial art... they might not have as big of an advantage. Still we see Jones overcoming... so this new world is contested by the old guard for its dominance. It makes one wonder how many of the old guard would prosper, but we're at least a decade deep in the "new MMA"... & nobody has really revolutionized the game in that time, so I'd say those guys would still rize to the top.

Last edited:
yeah... they would definitely all be champions... Izzy is basically Anderson Silva with better TDD but way worse BJJ, and less power... Jon Jones is Jon Jones... GSP is a better version of Kamaru Usman or Colby... better take downs better BJJ better striking...

Last edited:
Back