How would prime GSP, Jones and Silva do in their respective divisions today?

Realistically all three would dominate.

LHW and MW have regressed, WW has gotten far tougher but GSP back then was still a more complete fighter than most WW’s today.
Bullshit.

LHW is better now, then when Jones came along and beat guys like Rashad, Vitor, Shogun and Rampage. It’s not as good as when we had Jones, DC, Gus and Rumble though. Jones would still be the GOAT though.

MW’s today are far better than anyone Silva ever faced. He could still potentially be the champ, but definitely wouldn’t dominate the division like he did back then.

You got it right about WW though. It’s hard to tell if GSP could get the belt now

Anderson is the only one I'm iffy on and I'd still favor him. He's absolutely better than that field of competition overall, but Izzy is a tough style match up for him. Before anyone starts in on how they've already fought and it was close, I think Izzy is much better today than he was then.

Prime Jones and GSP I'd bet the farm on. GSP would have been a tougher pick when Usman was champ.
Right, Anderson is a better overall MMA fighter, but whether that would win the matchup against Izzy is questionable.

Jones smashes Hill pretty easily. I think Ankalaev is the only current LHW who presents a stylistic challenge.

GSP walks through Edwards. It's a terrible matchup for Edwards. But there are a few other current WWs who would give GSP major problems.

Anderson vs. Izzy is interesting. Izzy is more nuanced as a striker, but Anderson was more dangerous (in terms of finishing capability) and was much better on the ground. I'd probably lean Izzy in a very tentative and uneventful striking match. Anderson wipes out the rest of the current MW division.

GSP would probably win the belt and lose it a few times. Sorry the level of competition at WW is a whole lot tougher than what prime GSP faced. Not saying any fighter in particular is better but there would be an infinitely higher chance of GSP having a bad night. His competition then vs now is laughable in comparison. Silva probably the same. Neither GSP’s or Silva’s run would be the same length guaranteed. Prime Jones there simply is no era of LHW he wouldn’t dominate. Zero.

yeah... they would definitely all be champions... Izzy is basically Anderson Silva with better TDD but way worse BJJ, and less power... Jon Jones is Jon Jones... GSP is a better version of Kamaru Usman or Colby... better take downs better BJJ better striking...
GSP simply had no well rounded competition and he was well rounded. The level of comp GSP faced is not remotely close to the fighters you just named and you have no evidence of GSP beating or dominating anything like a Colby or Usman to base this claim. BJ who was undersized was the closest thing

I reckon all of them would still be at least top 5, and were all good enough then that I think that if they time machined in from 2011 today they'd still possibly win belts.

GSP decisions everyone competing today.
Jones mauls everyone if he's clean and motivated. If he's not, decisions.
Prime Anderson walks through everyone but Izzy and DDP. Izzy and him have a point sparing match and if DDP utilizes Chael's game plan he beats a decision out of him

Jones dominates all. This is a much, much weaker era(Hell past-prime Jones has already beaten some of this current era) than the 2 previous era's Jones dominated.

Silva would feast on this one dimensional MW era of strikers. His weakness was against strong wrestlers with sub defense. Izzy and Pereira? Silva would use his full MMA game and beat both.

GSP was a great fighter who could do it all. Close to the perfect fighter, maybe some small weaknesses here and there. But I only see Usman giving him trouble, and Usman right now is on the slide anyway.

GSP simply had no well rounded competition and he was well rounded. The level of comp GSP faced is not remotely close to the fighters you just named and you have no evidence of GSP beating or dominating anything like a Colby or Usman to base this claim. BJ who was undersized was the closest thing

Colby and Usman can't out wrestle him and he's a better striker than both of them.

Jones for sure until caught by USADA. LHW is one of the weakest division atm.

Silva most likely. Old man Silva won a round vs Izzy. The rest prime Silva easily KOs. MW has talent but no huge grappling threat.

GSP ... probably not. Too many well rounded guys at WW with great grappling and striking. GSP would be a mid size WW compared to these new age WWs.

The only one who is indisputable is Jon Jones : beat a prime Glover who became a champion once washed out.

Silva started to look bad when he was old, so he could have been competitive at the top in his prime.

GSP is overrated, only has one fight under USADA and lost against Serra.

Colby and Usman can't out wrestle him and he's a better striker than both of them.
Fact is GSP poses ZERO grappling threat to Usman or Colby. GSP would be forced into a point fighting scenario with a man who would have an absolute power advantage and is absolutely no slouch. I have seen nothing from GSP to make me think he sleeps Usman definitely. I have seen GSP beat up by far lesser strikers than Usman and maybe even Colby. Leon as boring as some say he is is literally very similar to GSP in striking. Very patient picks his shot and works his jabs and sneaks in kicks JUST LIKE GSP. There is nothing that makes me believe based off strictly the fights I’ve seen he definitely beats Edwards in a standup affair. I mean zero. He is a talented striker but the game has evolved since the days of beating up Matt Hughes lw BJ and Dan fucking Hardy. Come on guy. Half of the time he faced someone hell bent on KO with some heat he got beat up. That’s not opinion that’s evidenced by Matt Serra, Big Rig, shit even Jake Shields had him touched do you think Kamaru or Colby couldn’t put hands on him? GSP does not react the best to getting hit hard. I can name a laundry list of fighters that may not be technically better in skill but don’t necessarily need to be that would have a MUCH higher chance of beating up GSP than who he faced. He is a legend but best striker WW has seen? Are you serious l?

You don't think Josh Koscheck had a similar skillset to Kamaru Usman? Or Jon Fitch didn't have a similar game to Colby? Jake Shields he was garbage right? How about Carlos Condit, don't think he would have a shot against Leon? Hell maybe you are right... Nick Diaz I bet sucked too... The Johnny that GSP scrapes by hit WAY harder than Kamaru and had better wrestling...

They would dominate! Edwards and Usman are just discount GSP, Izzy is just Anderson if you take away everything that makes Anderson special, and Jones is Jones

You don't think Josh Koscheck had a similar skillset to Kamaru Usman? Or Jon Fitch didn't have a similar game to Colby? Jake Shields he was garbage right? How about Carlos Condit, don't think he would have a shot against Leon? Hell maybe you are right... Nick Diaz I bet sucked too... The Johnny that GSP scrapes by hit WAY harder than Kamaru and had better wrestling...

Current fighters are competitive under USADA, we don't know for GSP.

He got destroyed by Serra (TKO in the first round).

Canada is currently completely irrelevant in the UFC which is another asterix about GSP. If Canada was so special, they would continue producing champions today but they don't. Canada was competitive only when the competition was weaker.

Back