The UFC hasn't produced a star in over 5 years.

I'd strongly argue that Ronda and Conor ae the only two UFC athletes that have ever transcended the sport
I don't think there is much of an argument there, those two are the only ones who transcended the sport. No one on average outside the combat sports world has probably ever heard of Jones, Izzy, Volk, GSP, Silva etc.
Liddell, Arlovski, Couture, Tito, Anderson Silva, etc., all stars who transcended fighting
I do hope you're kidding....

This is the type of cynical dismissive post that annoys the hell out of me. Stars are a vital part of the sports and entertainment industry. The UFC isn't producing any draws. Instead of being a butt hurt cheer leader for the UFC, why not acknowledge things it needs to do to remain popular ?

I wouldn't put too much stock into those kind of comments. People love to show how much of a fan of the sport they are, by shitting on anything that concerns the business side of the sport. They see it as a dualistic or binary matter, but it's not obviously. You can like MMA for and from any number of given aspects, simultaneously.

Last edited:
I don't think there is much of an argument there, those two are the only ones who transcended the sport. No one on average outside the combat sports world has probably ever heard of Jones, Izzy, Volk, GSP, Silva etc.

I do hope you're kidding....
Correct.......stars that can transcend a sport do not grow on trees. It does not happen often in ANY sport. The UFC absolutely got lucky when Conor AND Ronda were on the books at the same time. One or both of them would have attracted a shitload of new fans to the sport. Their contributions to the sport it is today should never be underestimated.

Jones joined the UFC in August of 2008
Izzy joined the UFC in Feb 2018.

These two really are the only champs with any drawing power. I know your purists are gonna tout how awesome the likes of Islam and Volk are, but these guys aren't draws. It's really a tragedy what's happened to the UFC. Dana and company pushed the brand over the fighters and the end result is this saturated brand that no one is lining up at Buffalo Wild Wings to go see as they did 2015 and before.
What metric are you basing all that on?
Local support is a thing. Fighters might be popular beyond your scope. Jiri is very popular in the Czech Republic. Islam is a big star in Russia. Khamzat is a huge star too. Even Darren Till is a star in England.
Topuria is gaining a lot of attention in Spain.
Define clearly what differentiates a star from a casual and we can have an argument about it.

Yeah, but Conor and Ronda started well over five years ago in the company. I'm saying they haven't produced an international star in over five years.

No, he's really not. He's not Conor's level or even Izzy's.
Now you're setting unrealistic standards. Conor's star power isn't comparable to most, he honestly became bigger than the sport. Ronda at her height wasn't that far from him. Maybe you should set clear standards of what you mean by stars and star power

Yeah, but Conor and Ronda started well over five years ago in the company. I'm saying they haven't produced an international star in over five years.

No, he's really not. He's not Conor's level or even Izzy's.
Lol so conors level is what determines who is a star? There are no stars and there never will be

i'm not entirely sure why there is backlash over OP's fairly obvious statement. The sport is easier to follow (especially for casuals) when big names fight each other.

These guys are relatively unknown especially for the general public.

You don't get many guys like Conor, Nate, Ronda, GSP or Silva that are recognized by people outside of the MMA bubble.

Oh and Paddy is an absolute bum.

Of the ones you mention, only Conor and Ronda are recognized outside of the MMA bubble.

UFC has been garbage post Zuffa era. The fighters are cringey and it’s a bush league company with horrible management/owners.
What a totally bullshit comment. The general standard of fighters today in the UFC are as high as it has ever been.

Love or Hate Him...

They still line up to see Conor...

Conor hasn't fought in 2 years.

Can't line up if there's nothing to line up for.

cocaine.jpg

Khamzat is a star, after he beats costa he’s gonna be a superstar

MMA fighters lack personality and are unlikable which is why they need to to come up with WWE style gimmicks. The upcoming Sterling-O’Malley fight is a great example of this.

Jones joined the UFC in August of 2008
Izzy joined the UFC in Feb 2018.

These two really are the only champs with any drawing power. I know your purists are gonna tout how awesome the likes of Islam and Volk are, but these guys aren't draws. It's really a tragedy what's happened to the UFC. Dana and company pushed the brand over the fighters and the end result is this saturated brand that no one is lining up at Buffalo Wild Wings to go see as they did 2015 and before.

Charles Olivera has drawing power. He got big in 2021

Weili Zhang has drawing power

She became big in 2019

Back