Media ESPN’s Pound for Pound rankings are garbage

Corrado Soprano

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score

No non-UFC fighter in the top 10 is crazy. Jon Jones is also the obvious #1.

Sherdog has a much better list.

20230821052249_mp4p082123.PNG

Last edited:
P4P is based off more than one recent fight, that's why O'Malley didn't skyrocket up to the top 5.

Jones isn't the "obvious" #1 P4P, you're confusing it with the GOAT argument. He's got 1 great heavyweight win sure but since 2019 his LHW wins were lackluster. If you start reaching back to pre-2017 fights you've lost the plot on what P4P is.

Go look at what Volkanovski is doing to the top contenders in his division in recent years. Think Jones does that to all the top HWs right now? I don't.

P4P is based off more than one recent fight, that's why O'Malley didn't skyrocket up to the top 5.

Jones isn't the "obvious" #1 P4P, you're confusing it with the GOAT argument. He's got 1 great heavyweight win sure but since 2019 his LHW wins were lackluster. If you start reaching back to pre-2017 fights you've lost the plot on what P4P is.

Go look at what Volkanovski is doing to the top contenders in his division in recent years. Think Jones does that to all the top HWs right now? I don't.

Nailed it. It’s the current p4p list, not all time p4p list and I think people forget that.

Who else honestly would even belong on there not named Francis Ngannou? Vadim Nemkov who was getting destroyed by Corey Anderson? No way in hell.

how i'd do it

Jones
Volk
Izzy
Islam
Leon
Pantoja
O'malley
Usman
Charles
Sterling

Islam should probably be number one considering he's the only fighter to beat two champions of two different weight classes back to back. I know, I know, Volk went up to him and all that but still beating two champions in a row has to count for something. Not sure why everyone keeps putting Volk above Islam. Just because he performed well against Islam doesn't mean he's a better p4p fighter than him in my opinion. Islam's domination over Oliveira is more impressive than anything Volk did. Well, maybe excluding his third win over Max but then again he prepared for Max three times in a row. I can't help but feel like Islam vs Volk 2 would go very differently.

Volk and Izzy are both 1-1 in their last two for whatever that is worth.

Leon beating Usman twice and riding a, what 14 fight win streak at this point, is pretty impressive.

Back