CM Punk. Winless in the Octagon. Undefeated backstage for AEW

One more UFC run ?

• Total voters
The UFC during the Zuffa era took what SEG did and marketed the hell out of it, creating a ‘real sport’ in the process. It wasn’t like PRIDE, which had worked/gimmick fights, for the UFC was as ‘real as it gets’, where you had to fight your way to the top. Then, seemingly out of nowhere, CM Punk was brought into the UFC. It rubbed people the wrong way, because it was a joke.

As a guy who watched/watches gimmick fights, I didn’t mind. What I objected to was the way the UFC tried to sell us his entrance into the organization, that it was a serious attempt at fighting and Punk was a worthy martial artist. He clearly wasn’t. At all. I will always bring up the time they (his gym) finally released videos of him sparring, and doing ‘simulated fights’, because it was horrific. He was below average. I’m talking about below average for the adult male population, not amongst fighters. He was clearly a can, but the only one who didn’t know it was Punk himself, which brings me to the OP. (He took a decent paycheck in order to fight at the highest level — again, not hating, but let’s not act like it was inspirational.)

It’s clear that Punk is a toxic person. People like Cornette et al. have been defending him for years, yet the stories have piled up. Jack Sperry might be in the wrong, idk, but Punk gets no props for beating up a trust fund acrobat.

You keep focusing on the fact that he's not very good and had strings pulled for his UFC appearances. I'm focusing on the fact that he worked hard, put his ass on the line (when he absolutely didn't have to).

And that "decent paycheck" from the UFC ain't shit compared to what he usually earns...

This is when Punk shoved Perry, Perry responded by shoving Punk back, and then Punk put him in what is being described as a chokehold. We’re told Punk viewed putting Perry in a chokehold as a way to neutralize the situation, as he’s a trained fighter and does not want to have to fight Perry. No punches were thrown, as far as we know.
https://www.hausofwrestling.com/202...-all-in-of-his-own-accord-and-more-exclusive/

He likely went for the front facelock. Same thing Jericho took Goldberg down with. Pro wrestlers seem to like it as a way to kill a fight.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

eK2ZMWJ.gif
Lol idk why but him throwing the elbow in the first gif is so funny to me

Wrestling, done right, can elicit the same excitement MMA can.

Just not often, and only when done really well.

There's something exciting about watching something unfold and not knowing how it ends.

That it's rigged makes no difference. All films and all TV shows are rigged. That's not the point. How well it's done is the point.

I'm sorry. Watching guys throw slap punches, and pretend to suffer injuries from idiotic moves like the Boston Crab and the DDT is just pathetic unless the viewer in question is around the age of 12.

I don't see why people dog Phil that much. He clearly has a passion for MMA and had the clout where he could finagle a couple of UFC bouts. He trained hard, fought hard, and yeah, he got beat up, but he still stepped in there to find out.
You don't see why? Really? I love jazz, but I'm not going to jazz shows insisting on sitting in. It would be the musical equivalent of CM Punk fights.

I don't get what people like about CM Punk?

He's not the Rock on the mic... he's not a "physical specimen"... I don't know, but don't think he's a great wrestler?

What's the deal?

He was well known in the indie circuit and became big in WWE during a time when they were all about John Cena and marketing to children (the post-Benoit wrestling world, essentially). His "pipe bomb" promo endeared him to hardcore fans who were sick of the homogenized crap they were being fed.

I think the guy is an absolute ass, but for me he's a great modernized version of a classic wrestler from the 90s who was strong on the mic and a great in-ring storyteller. At this point, though, it's clear that he's only going to be detrimental to any company that he involves himself in.

He's not the Rock on the mic... he's not a "physical specimen"... I don't know, but don't think he's a great wrestler?

What's the deal?
He was different. During a Cena dominate era, Punk was able to cut promos that a portion of the fan base who weren't on the Cena train loved. He was also a good wrestler and sort of an anti-hero. I liked Punk a lot during is time in ECW/WWE but he never got the push of say Roman Reigns or Cena, he was a upper midcard guy. When he came to UFC I thought he was being a raytard and knew that he was in for a good ole fashioned ass whooping. He is a touch delusional and I don't really follow his career anymore but from 2009-2014 he was pretty damn over in WWE.

He seems like a very toxic person, has had issues with every company he's worked for, is very vocal about controversial political stances. I get why people don't like him.

As far as his pro wrestling ability, his lack of any athleticism whatsoever which was immediately apparent in his two UFC fights also applies to his in-ring ability. He doesn't have the moves, he doesn't have the look, and not much charisma. Not really sure how this guy ever got over.

Here's a pretty great video detailing the whole fiasco

Last edited:
He seems like a very toxic person, has had issues with every company he's worked for, is very vocal about controversial political stances. I get why people don't like him.

As far as his pro wrestling ability, his lack of any athleticism whatsoever which was immediately apparent in his two UFC fights also applies to his in-ring ability. He doesn't have the moves, he doesn't have the look, and not much charisma. Not really sure how this guy ever got over.
He got over because the indie crowd who represented a decent sized number of WWE fans loved the guy. His in ring work was pretty damn good, his Samoa Joe matches in ROH were legendary and the crowd was white hot. All the things you said about Punk were true but you can't knock his ROH and ECW/WWE run, he was great.

Here's a pretty great video detailing the whole fiasco

Anyone that hasn't watched Napoleon Blownaparts entire catalog.

Do so.

Best MMA videos around. Also a super cool and nice guy.

What's the deal?
I've never understood either. People tell me about his charisma but he just cuts these flat preachy promos and has flat, boring matches.

So tell us, what do you do for entertainment?

Let me just break this down. I stated that pro wrestling is a joke. Your immediate response is, "what do you do for fun?"

I'm going to just assume that your life revolves around fast food and cheap beer.

Let me just break this down. I stated that pro wrestling is a joke. Your immediate response is, "what do you do for fun?"

I'm going to just assume that your life revolves around fast food and cheap beer.

Yes, because I intend on making fun of whatever it is that you enjoy for absolutely no reason.

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean you need to disparage it.

You keep focusing on the fact that he's not very good and had strings pulled for his UFC appearances. I'm focusing on the fact that he worked hard, put his ass on the line (when he absolutely didn't have to).

And that "decent paycheck" from the UFC ain't shit compared to what he usually earns...

My first paragraph was about the transition SEG made which, within in a short time period, was taken over by the UFC’s marketing. The image of MMA changed for North American fans. It became serious biz, therefore Punk being let in rubbed people the wrong way, and the UFC had to promote a joke fight, which didn’t endear Punk to fight fans.

He has definitely worked hard, leveraged his PW status in order to fight in the premier MMA org. IDK how hard he worked at being a fighter though, but whatever the case may be — he was below average for the average adult male. I didn’t see it as inspirational, especially if he truly believed he could hack it in the upper tier of fighting.

edit:

So both of what we said can be true. I was just responding to the question about why fight fans hated or disliked Punk.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lessconaga
Back