• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

STARFIELD discussion

So you are okay with shooting a gun an inch from someone’s head and not having anyone react? Throwing a grenade in water without any water coming up? Constant load screens? No immersive travel between planets? Hundreds of barren wastelands with nothing to see? None of this warrants criticism from you? Most review scores keep dropping and a lot of the early tens were coming from Xbox gaming sites. The score is inflated if anything

Dude. You haven't played it. It's amazing you think your opinion has any merit at all. The complete lack of self awareness is incredible.

I've spent lots of time criticizing it.

Anyways...

I'm just gonna say it. The hub areas are too big. "New Atlantis" is fucking ridiculous. Now, I admire the architecture, and the fact that it has multiple buildings that you could spend hours in, just exploring and picking up little missions here and there, but MY GOD, it's a bit much for a videogame. It sometimes feels like a real life simulation, where everything is how it would be in real life. The amount of walking in between areas(I haven't figured out the fast travel yet) is absurd, and the verticality of some areas, makes path finding kind of a bitch.

That said, it's not a big complaint, and I'm probably just not used to this level of scale in a videogame. I could see getting used to it, and then everything else seeming small and limited in comparison. It's crazy. Makes games like "Mass Effect" and "Deus Ex:MD" look like demos.

Starfield did not sell 10 million copies in two days = Letdown

Level 5 now... Took advantage of the display case glitch in the basement of the lodge. Now my suit is way overpowered for my level.

Anyways...

I'm just gonna say it. The hub areas are too big. "New Atlantis" is fucking ridiculous. Now, I admire the architecture, and the fact that it has multiple buildings that you could spend hours in, just exploring and picking up little missions here and there, but MY GOD, it's a bit much for a videogame. It sometimes feels like a real life simulation, where everything is how it would be in real life. The amount of walking in between areas(I haven't figured out the fast travel yet) is absurd, and the verticality of some areas, makes path finding kind of a bitch.

That said, it's not a big complaint, and I'm probably just not used to this level of scale in a videogame. I could see getting used to it, and then everything else seeming small and limited in comparison. It's crazy. Makes games like "Mass Effect" and "Deus Ex:MD" look like demos.

I think they should have worked up to New Atlantis. I agree with one of the big criticisms that its a slow start and it lacks the punch of those big "stepping out" moments that previous Bethesda games have. Instead of the intro of taking out a whole gang of Spacers, maybe just be attacked by a small group dropping/jet packing down from a big ship and maybe one leader to practice persuasion on. Spend some time in one small outpost under some canopies or something, then make your way as a stowaway or passenger on a ship to New Atlantis, and then thats the big "step out" reveal. It's too big too soon and I was more interested in going into space.

RE: fast travel. Youre gonna save a ton of time and loading screens by fast traveling from your journal. Go to your quests and on the right side of the quest theres an arrow you click and you can either fast travel directly to the location, or bring up the navigation menu to travel to the level that its located on.

Last edited:
Jesus... What the hell's going on in here? I just came into this thread for the first time in forever. Are we talking about a game or getting into politics over consoles?

Fallout in space ? Sign me up. Hopefully there's extensive base building
Started an outpost last night. Doesn't seem as extensive... But I guess the research station should help add some more options.

I think they should have worked up to New Atlantis. I agree with one of the big criticisms that its a slow start and it lacks the punch of those big "stepping out" moments that previous Bethesda games have. Instead of the intro of taking out a whole gang of Spacers, maybe just be attacked by a small group dropping/jet packing down from a big ship and maybe one leader to practice persuasion on. Spend some time in one small outpost under some canopies or something, then make your way as a stowaway or passenger on a ship to New Atlantis, and then thats the big "step out" reveal. It's too big too soon and I was more interested in going into space.

Yeah, that makes sense. I even laughed at the dude just giving you his ship in the beginning. Like, damn, that's a lot of trust for someone who was constantly fighting off pirates n' shit. He just gives you the ship, because you're "the chosen one" or some shit. LOL. Like, what if I didn't know how to fly it?

Of all Bethesda games, it's easily the weakest intro. They just copy and pasted "Mass Effect" to get the story going, gave you a ship and planted you into one of the biggest hub worlds I've ever seen. It's completely overwhelming, and you really have to work to find your bearings and get into a rhythm.

RE: fast travel. Youre gonan save a ton of time and loading screens by fast traveling from your journal. Go to your quests and on the right side of the quest theres an arrow you click and you can either fast travel directly to the location, or bring up the navigation menu to travel to the level that its located on.

Yeah, I figured there was something to it. Nothing is all that complicated, but it seems like it at first. You really have to retrain your brain to adapt. I generally just don't like the menu system. You've got four big sections that just branch off and branch off again, into sub-menus upon sub-menus. They knew it, too. When you have a "hold button to exit everything" prompt, they knew people would get lost in it.

That said, when I'm 50 hours in, I'll probably warm to it, as there is a method to the madness. It's just so much to take in in a few hours.

Level 5 now... Took advantage of the display case glitch in the basement of the lodge. Now my suit is way overpowered for my level.
Do the Mantis quest, you'll get another set of cool armour and a new ship

Do the Mantis quest, you'll get another set of cool armour and a new ship

ahhhh.... thank you... i found this mission and i was wondering when i should start it. i JUST got to New Atlantis and I am just lost in this fuckin' city right now.. I have trouble tracking the missions but i just read a few suggestions from Bob a few posts up so I will try those in a bit.

Early impressions are this game is a solid 8 so far even with the slow start. I am not much of a fan of the art but i understand since the scope of this game is so big. I will say it is doing a great job of triggering my OCD on hoarding every fuckin' thing i can find, mine, steal.

What's going on with the map in this game? I cant find shit. I open it up and it's showing the whole fucking planet. How am I supposed to get around the city to look for shops and shit?

Yeah, that makes sense. I even laughed at the dude just giving you his ship in the beginning. Like, damn, that's a lot of trust for someone who was constantly fighting off pirates n' shit. He just gives you the ship, because you're "the chosen one" or some shit. LOL. Like, what if I didn't know how to fly it?

Of all Bethesda games, it's easily the weakest intro. They just copy and pasted "Mass Effect" to get the story going, gave you a ship and planted you into one of the biggest hub worlds I've ever seen. It's completely overwhelming, and you really have to work to find your bearings and get into a rhythm.

Yeah, I figured there was something to it. Nothing is all that complicated, but it seems like it at first. You really have to retrain your brain to adapt. I generally just don't like the menu system. You've got four big sections that just branch off and branch off again, into sub-menus upon sub-menus. They knew it, too. When you have a "hold button to exit everything" prompt, they knew people would get lost in it.

That said, when I'm 50 hours in, I'll probably warm to it, as there is a method to the madness. It's just so much to take in in a few hours.

agree with all your recent takes... that intro was quite far-fetched...

maybe they could have added a training section on how to maneuver around the city efficiently? taking a break right now but i was lost for a good 30-40 minutes just aimless walking around and checking out the city.

also with training not sure if it bugged out but the first time you go into space then offer a quick training on how to fly the ship then you are attacked by a pirate ship. i easily dispatched that one but then it was teaching how to salvage and i accidently got off my seat and then the training just stopped.. didn't teach me anything else.. not sure if i cancelled it or not but i didn't know how to salvage properly and had to spend a good 10 mins horsing around till i figured out all the controls. while i was screwing around 2 pirate ships come in to attack me and i barely survived.

I am spending a lot of time trying to figure things out so far. It'll be a lot better once I am familiar with everything but yeah it's a steep learning curve overall for me with this game. Think i'll look for a how to start playing starfield properly for beginners on youtube...

What's going on with the map in this game? I cant find shit. I open it up and it's showing the whole fucking planet. How am I supposed to get around the city to look for shops and shit?

LOL. I was trying to figure that out and decided to go on a break (need to eat). Let me know if you figure something out.

Bob Gray suggested this a few post above:

fast travel. Youre gonna save a ton of time and loading screens by fast traveling from your journal. Go to your quests and on the right side of the quest theres an arrow you click and you can either fast travel directly to the location, or bring up the navigation menu to travel to the level that its located on.

ahhhh.... thank you... i found this mission and i was wondering when i should start it. i JUST got to New Atlantis and I am just lost in this fuckin' city right now.. I have trouble tracking the missions but i just read a few suggestions from Bob a few posts up so I will try those in a bit.

Early impressions are this game is a solid 8 so far even with the slow start. I am not much of a fan of the art but i understand since the scope of this game is so big. I will say it is doing a great job of triggering my OCD on hoarding every fuckin' thing i can find, mine, steal.
Yeah it can be overwhelming, just go at your own pace and do what you want, I've been fighting spacers and pirates on outposts and researching weapon and equipment mods, now I'm gonna focus on settlements for a bit

Dude. You haven't played it. It's amazing you think your opinion has any merit at all. The complete lack of self awareness is incredible.

I've spent lots of time criticizing it.

I haven’t played it but watched 20+ hours of the two time playing it and those are all valid criticisms.

I played it, own it...6.5-7
Just to be clear, I'm not saying the game is bad. I think it's potentially an 8 that is held back by some really silly things that they've overlooked.

I'll hate play it for the cool moments until patches or mods fix it

I haven’t played it but watched 20+ hours of the two time playing it and those are all valid criticisms.

Who said there aren't valid criticisms?

Starfield sucks ass. Boring as fuck. Super big let down. A disgrace. The new elder scrolls should have been released like 4 years ago.

That first research facility is so trash.

The opening mining is trash.

Everythings a random cell with nothing on it. Why the fuck am i going to that moon over there? For a random procedurally generated nothing. Then i can just choose any random moon it makes no difference.

Fast travel simulator. Spent most of the game so far in menus.

Spacebattles is auto lock on auto aim? Wtf.

NPCs are like wtf.

Skyrim and Fallout were fun cos there was secrets to uncover everywhere.

Last edited:
Back