Laura Sanko colour commentary - Rate It

What do you rate it at?

• Total voters
She has a very nice voice and articulate and sounds intelligent, but I like listening to commentaries from people who are actually experts in MMA and can learn things from, which she ain't.

It's like NBA plugging Doris or whatever her name is into NBA play off commentary. But it's the times we live in.

Political correctness and appealing to masses for their bottom line are what it's all about.

I'd give her 3, only because she speaks well.

But hey, it's better than MLB plugging softball players into coaching gigs and commentaries.

I rate DC very highly at 9.
Cruz is annoying but rate him highly too.

Bisping at 7. I don't think he was ever that technical in striking, a good kickboxer yes, speaks well but I don't think it shows in his commentary, which just seems very generic and forced at times. When it comes to grappling, even worse.

You rank Cormier a 9 and Sanko a 3.

<FookIsThatGuy>

You rank Cormier a 9 and Sanko a 3.

<FookIsThatGuy>

giphy.gif

He knows his shit.

Solid.

Fuck all you virgins who try to make her out to be some beauty queen, but in terms of her knowledge, and fight commentary, my hats off to her, she did very well.

I agree. I thought she did quite well. It’s nice to have different perspectives from that booth.

I don't mind Rogan I guess. When you listen to someone for 20+ years, you kinda grow attached to that.

I don't consider Rogan an expert either. He's a comedian.
Basically admitting you're jaded then, and not speaking from any factual opinion.

I can't explain to you how childish it is to think someone who teaches must do first, and that people who can do should teach. You know most coaches are worse than their fighters, yeah?

Not only does doing something not make you a proper authority on it automatically, but often times, it makes you worse. A commentators job isn't to fight, it's to analyze the fight. And they're more often much more experienced in analyzing a fight than fighters, because fighters DON'T analyze fights. Their coaches usually do for them, AND how many times have you seen/heard fighters say they don't watch MMA at all?

The best practice for any event is repeating that event in training. Commentators talk about fighting in minute detail, so the practice is talking about fighting in minute detail, not booking a fight. So she's more qualified than 95% of whatever fighters ya can pull out of your ass.

Anyway I'd say overall she does a good job. I've been impressed with the level of tape study and prep she does, which I think only Cruz can compare with really. Even when she does Road to UFC she knows her shit about the fight styles of obscure Indian fighters.
All the Cruz analysis without any of the bitter Napolean Complex? Sounds great to me

Last edited:
I thought she was the best part of the team. Didn't yammer, good technical insight, nice even voice. A few little flubs but that's just nerves.

She did great as usual. Quite frankly I prefer Cormier and her, rather than Cormier and Bisping.

The content of the commentary was generally very good.

The voice and chemistry were "meh".

I personally have liked some of the analysis-type videos she's done after fights, like the Yan-O'Malley fight,

Very good. I never thought I'd say this about a woman but I almost wish she would be more emotional. She's almost too technical which is great but can be kind of dry.

I never really paid attention to the commentary like many of y'all do, I'm just watching the fight. It's like background music when I'm doing homework.

Even that is a credit to her, though. Like a good cameraman or a good ref, if someone notices you doing your job as a commentator, you're doing poorly.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Real Deal
Back