Movies Largely unknown good movies from massive stars

Nicolas Cage - Peggy Sue Got Married, Kiss of Death
Harrison Ford - Working Girl
Tom Selleck - An Innocent Man (back around his Magnum PI days)
Sean Penn - The Assassination of Richard Nixon
Robin Williams - Bicentennial Man
Diane Keaton - Looking for Mr. Goodbar
Daniel Day Lewis - The Boxer

Jason Patric (Zer approved megastar) - Your Friends and Neighbors

When Peggy Sue came out, all the talk was about how talented a young Nic Cage was and how he'd have an Oscar worthy run of a career.

I remember channel hopping onto Taps and really enjoying it. I had never heard of it, so I was surprised at what an amazing cast it had where a lot of them were still youngsters.

Tom Cruise
Sean Penn
Timothy Hutton
George C Scott
Looking at imdb I see Giancarlo Esposito was in it too

A Perfect World is another good shout and a really solid Costner film (Although the kid actor is kinda ropey). I first saw it back in the 90's when I was a kid and the ending made me cry like a baby

I feel like another Costner gem that gets slept on is Thirteen Days, which is a political film about the Cuban Missile Crisis. Really great overall movie and Costner is definitely a highlight

Thinking of Thirteen Days led me to The 6th Day, which is a year 2000 Ahnold Sci-fi film that I really enjoyed too. I always considered that a forgotten gem of his

I also saw A Perfect World as a kid and cried like a baby, great movie

Tom Cruise - Taps
Sylvester Stallone - Lock Up, Cop Land
Robert Redford - Sneakers
Mel Gibson - The Man Without a Face, The Bounty
Kevin Costner - A Perfect World
Paul Newman - Nobody's Fool
Tom Hanks - The Man with One Red Shoe
Dustin Hoffman - Hero
Al Pacino - Cruising
Robert De Niro - Mad Dog and Glory, Great Expectations, Flawless, Everybody's Fine
Michael J. Fox - Casualties of War
Michael Keaton - My Life, Johnny Dangerously
Val Kilmer - Top Secret, Felon
Adam Sandler - Spanglish
Jack Nicholson - The Pledge

Copland surprised the hell out of me.
Casualties of war was traumatizing… really well made though.
I’m not sure if I agree on Great expectations.

Overall super solid list

Standoff - Thomas Jane and Laurence Fishburne
Felon - Stephen Dorff and Val Kilmer
I Melt With You - Thomas Jane, Rob Lowe and Jeremy Piven
Tequila Sunrise - Mel Gibson and Kurt Russell
Bone Tomahawk - Kurt Russell, Patrick Wilson, Matthew Fox and Richard Jenkins
Killing Them Softly - Brad Pitt, James Gandolfini, Richard Jenkins and Ray Liotta

Last edited:
Just about all of Eddie Murphy's flops are worth watching to me. Eddie always comes through to crack me the fuck up somewhere along the line and even in the flops/bad movies, you can see he's doing his best to make it watchable.

Tom cruise - far and away
Ryan Gosling - Lars and the real girl/half nelson.
Jake Busey - identity
Russell Crowe - Unhinged
Martin Short - Clifford
Paul Dano - swiss army man

MV5BMTY4ODk0NzkzMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNjAxODM5._V1_.jpg

3 good names and a pretty funny movie but not popular at all. Has a little bit of a cult following, and a couple cable channels liked showing it.

The drop -tom hardy

Also James Gandolfini’s second to last role and has Noomi Rapace in it. Love that movie.

I watched The Drop this morning. I had it on my watch list forever since i love Noomi Rapace so I was waiting for it to pop up on a service i have (currently it is on Max)

I enjoyed it. It is a unique flavor. Definitely a slow burn, and very patient in how it unfolds, but it kept me engaged and managed to maintain interest as it felt like there were consistently details being presented that would come into play even though the acting and dialogue was very subtle and there seemed to be more subtext than dialogue in a lot of scenes.

Solid performance by Hardy.
Very nuanced character he put together.

Wind River - Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olsen and a very brief but powerful cameo from Jon Bernthal and Kelsey Asbille

Basketball Diaries - low budget drug movie starring young Leonardo Di Carpio and Mark Wahlberg.

The Secrets We Keep - Noomi Rapace

Super Dark Times - set in 1980s and unravels into a very dark and disturbing tale. Visually has a vibe similar to Stranger Things in how it captures the late 1980s feel.

Strangeland - Dee Snyder
low budget horror film that was a little ahead of its time regarding dangers of the internet.

The Place Beyond The Pines
Darkish crime/mystery
Bradley Cooper, Ray Liota, Eva Mendes
(Though it is carried imo by performances by younger lesser known actors)

Bus Stop (1956) - Marilyn Monroe (This is her best film in my opinion, and no one ever talks about it.)

The Incident (1967) - Martin Sheen (Two psychopaths terrorize a subway train in the middle of the night. Really good.)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JonSable
Back