Media Islam wants a second title, believes he can beat Leon Edwards anywhere

Who wins in a potential matchup?

• Total voters
After 2-3 defenses? I miss the days where you cleaned out your division first. Volk is just about the only one who should be flirting with this idea, and he already had his shot.

And the one champion who wanted to become champ champ after actually clearing his division, Jose Aldo, was denied the opportunity.

https://www.espn.com.au/mma/story/_...v-eyes-welterweight-title-lightweight-defense

UFC lightweight champion Islam Makhachev is scheduled to defend his title against a familiar foe at UFC 294 on Oct. 21, and would like to challenge for the welterweight strap with a win.

Makhachev 24-1 faces former champion Charles Oliveria 34-9 in the main event of UFC 294 in Abu Dhabi, while UFC welterweight champion Leon Edwards will see Colby Covington at UFC 296 in December. Makhachev, who ESPN ranks the number 2 pound for pound fighter in the world, told ESPN he would like to face the winner, especially since the UFC allowed featherweight champion Alexander Volkanovski a chance to face him in February. Makhachev won via decision.

"I don't know what the UFC has planned, but my dream fight is for the second belt," Makhachev told ESPN. "Of course, I am under contract, so whatever the UFC says, I will fight, no problem. But Edwards vs. Colby -- I really believe I can beat [the winner]. I look at their skills and what they have as champion and I know my skills. It's going to be a good fight. I'm not saying I'm going to beat them easy. It's going to be a hard, tough fight against a big guy. But I believe I can finish those guys.

"I gave a chance to that guy, so they have to give me a chance, too. I gave a chance to a guy from another division to come to my weight and to try to take this belt, and he lost. I want my chance, too."

Edwards 21-3 has mostly ignored Makhachev's interest in a champion vs. champion matchup, but Covington 17-3 recently disparaged Makhachev's skills in an interview with My MMA News. Makhachev said he hopes Covington will win and the UFC will book that matchup.

"I hope Covington wins, because I don't know what Leon says about [fighting me]," Makhachev said. "I've never heard Leon say he wants this fight. But Colby wants it. That's why I want Colby to win and we can meet one day. It would be a very good fight, he has good wrestling. It's going to be U.S. wrestling vs. Dagestan wrestling. He's a good fighter. He has good wrestling and good conditioning, but in my opinion, I stop his wrestling and land many good punches."

As for the job currently ahead of him, Makhachev said he's not overlooking Oliveira, but is understandably very confident after submitting the Brazilian fighter exactly one year ago at UFC 280. Oliveira earned a title rematch by knocking out Beneil Dariush in June, and has admitted he had an off night against Makhachev the first time they fought. Oliveira has even said he refuses to watch the replay of that loss. Makhachev believes there is a reason behind that.

"That fight reminds him of the time he gave up," Makhachev said. "When he watches this fight, he remembers everything that happened there. He tried to push me and land some punches, but when he doesn't have insurance, he just gives up. ... This fight is interesting for the people, everybody wants to see this match again. But if I follow the plan, I can beat this guy easy, again. I believe that."
This guy isn’t shit but a weight bully who got beat by Volk

Let him win first, may be get another defense, then why not.

What a weird situation, I'm not used to fighters praising Colby. I don't dislike the idea but the WW division has to start moving eventually.

Not this shit again.

"Belal was never my friend"
uL91mgP.png
370585365-18381555991015618-7728967627681191812-n.jpg

I take Islam over both Leon and Colby, but he still needs 2+ more defenses (after running through Oliveira for the second time) to try for double champ. Maybe beat Gaethje, Gamrot, and then Tsarukyan to earn a double champ attempt

After 2-3 defenses? I miss the days where you cleaned out your division first. Volk is just about the only one who should be flirting with this idea, and he already had his shot.
GSP cleaned out his division but came back years later for his MW shot. I don’t think Penn had cleaned out LW when he won WW

Nah I’m good on cleaning it out. I want the biggest match ups.

Is 170 the most interesting fight for him?

Nah I’m good on cleaning it out. I want the biggest match ups.

Is 170 the most interesting fight for him?
Honestly kinda yeah, already it's a rematch against Oliveira, literally his third title fight is a repeat of his first title fight, that is lame. He should be fighting Dariush or Leon. I agree he hasn't defended enough to deserve the Leon shot but if they actually signed the contracts and made it a reality, it would be by far the most exciting matchup of the year

Honestly kinda yeah, already it's a rematch against Oliveira, literally his third title fight is a repeat of his first title fight, that is lame. He should be fighting Dariush or Leon. I agree he hasn't defended enough to deserve the Leon shot but if they actually signed the contracts and made it a reality, it would be by far the most exciting matchup of the year
They are both counter strikers and Leon has good TDD. This would most likely end up like Izzy vs Romero

Can't "Like" ( with my BS "double-yellow" status ) but Like.

Personally, I think Edwards beats Islam Makachev, possibly by KO

Islam has a false sense of security because he out wrestled Leon like 8 years ago at AKA. Leon has improved leaps and bounds in the grappling since then, and it won't be a wrestling practice. I don't like Islam's chances in that one.

I’d just like these champions to have at least one top 10 win the bigger weight class, just to make it legit and not just picking a champion when your style matches well against his.
Islam could take Shavkat as a warm- up fight and then go for the WW champion.

I don't even like Islam Makchaev but this is badass. Respect. If he does win, he should definitely go up and fight the champ. I don't care if this is a new gimmick, the new interim title fight, I want to see it. Volk vs. Islam was super good, Islam vs. winner of Leon/Colby will be awesome to see. Much harder leap to go from 155 to 170 IMO too. CSO.

Oh my God man...

Just fight your contenders from your actual division till no one is left and then go to 170..

Holy fuck man...the disrespect to the sport is insane...
who else is left at 155 though? Gaethje, is that it? I don't think there are too many options left at 155 anyways and it sounds like he doesn't want the Volk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucl
Back