• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who can beat Islam?

RoyJonesJr

Carti Season
@red
Reaction score
Don't see Charles, Beneil, Arman, Dariush, or Justin beating Islam

The only other options are Colby & Leon
But Colby isn't beating Leon

So that leaves Leon... I actually do see beating Islam but I'm not confident that fight gets made. UFC would only make the fight if Colby wins

Even though he would rightfully be the favorite against any opponent, You would never know with this sport, we didn't see Strickland dominating Izzy like that, maybe Gamrot could catch him with something silly and knock him out.

Anyone could get caught, but aside from Islam getting caught in an exchange* I think he probably holds that belt for a while.

He seems keen on moving up, I expect his next loss to be at 170.

* even this is a calculated risk and Islam seems to be making really high level calculations and his wrestling threat is going to inhibit opponents likelihood to really let go with strikes to be able to execute on a fairly narrow window of opportunity.

I think he’d probably be the favorite over everybody at 155 right now. At 170 probably around even give or take to most of the top 5. But hey, guys lose to guys nobody thought would beat them all the time. In fact that’s typically how most dominant championship reigns end. He’s still got plenty of work to do.

I truly think right now the sports level of psychicality, pedigree, conditioning and grappling just needs to catch up. Islam was wrestling as a small child and by 11 was training with Khabib and Abdulmanap doing Sambo tournaments, I'd assume similar to Khabib he did Judo, hand to hand combat, pankration etc too. By the time they were 18 they were already super over qualified and starting their pro careers. Dagestan is also a hot bed, the wrestlers, sambists, judokas as training partners and coaches they were running into were surely great. Even the relationship with Javier getting constant exposure to western styles and an expert striking coach is brilliant.

I think the most likely guys who could beat Islam right now are fellow Russians. Eduard Vartanyan or Usman Magomedov would be my bets. Neither in the UFC so probably not a very exciting answer but everyone in the UFC has been recycled through former champs or beaten by former contenders as it is.

Last edited:
Let him run the gauntlet of LW. Why the fuck is everyone clamoring for him to move up? He hasn’t beaten Gaethje, Benny, Gamrot, Chandler, Arman (rematch), or Fiziev. A title defense streak is the hardest thing to accomplish in this sport. THAT is true greatness. Sustained dominance over an extended period of time. His father quit before he could complete that challenge.

He needs to go to welterweight.

Let Usman come from Bellator and takeover lightweight.

0_Screenshot-2022-01-03-at-090239-copy.jpg

Chandler
Don't come me with shits like he lost to this and that

New to MMA ? There's somebody , possibly multiple guys out there who can. Its a matter of when not if. Consistently fighting contenders will catch up to you regardless of how dominant you are.

Unless he pulls a khabib and quits before solidifying anything .

Israel.

Seriously. He's like 3 weightclasses bigger.

Back