News Islam was 8 lbs heavier than first Volk fight

Volk was much more compromised in the second fight than Islam will ever be in his career.

If you ask a UFC fighter which they'd prefer when facing an opponent,

1. Full fight camp, but has to stay dehydrated a whole 8 lbs below their actual weight

Or

2. No fight camp, but in good shape and still training actively every week

...you're a fool if you think the overwhelming majority wouldn't choose 2 as the preference.

You clearly have no idea what weight cutting and rehydration are like.

What Volk did the first fight was incredible, he’s still lost but credit has to be given. At the same time Islam clearly did not look like his normal self. I’m glad we got the rematch, Islam was able to prove definitively that he’s the better fighter, and we can finally put this rivalry to rest.

Now all the Dagestani haters can move on to their next chosen one and continue to try and convince us that Islam isn’t that good and that whoever is next will finally be his kryptonite blah blah blah. You are all a bunch of idiots.
He didn't exactly prove he was the better fighter (even if he likely is). Yes, Volk could have defended the kick, but Islam probably doesn't get to hit that in 90% of the LW division, given they are usually at least the same height as him.

But I agree that it puts the «rivalry» to rest given that it was a KO in the 1st round (even if one may argue that jumping into this fight on 10 days notice kinda carries with it a «rushing/reckless» mindset).

Yeah, you're smart enough to acknowledge the variables you listed in that last paragraph, which may be more probable than usual because he supposedly was having a really rough cut (hence the IV accusations).
Then he should have not be cleared to fight.

These are all made up numbers. Lol
171 (or 176) + 8 = 179 (184)
That means he rehydrates 24-30lbs.
How are they made up numbers?

1. Full fight camp, but has to stay dehydrated a whole 8 lbs below their actual weight

Or

...you're a fool if you think the overwhelming majority wouldn't choose 2 as the preference.

Either he's being dishonest, or he just has no clue how terrible and compromising dehydration is for combat sports. It's literally one of the leading causes of death in the ring for boxers, they don't fully hydrate properly and it leads to brain bleeds.

do u really believe these guys dont train all year round?
you believe he only trained for 2 weeks?
these are fighters they train all year round to improve
By that logic, training camps are useless then. Why bother with them?
There's a big difference between being in shape and being in fight shape.

Or

That is Islam’s fault and nobody elses. He is a big guy who has trouble making weight so he can have bigger advantage against smaller guys.

Being out of fight-shape is a death sentence, unlike what you just described. No serious athlete will want to fight championship level fight without training at fight-speed while having to cut big amount of weight in short time. Islam would never do that because he knows how much that takes out of your performance. There are many examples in every combat sport, guys not being able to hang even with sparring partners until returning to shape.

Camps are crucial for getting a fighter to his 100%, nothing else comes close.

Then he should have not cleared to fight.

Yeah, I agree. Lol

But we've seen more than one fighter step in the cage with only a single functioning eye, doctors not catching major injuries (TJ's last fight), etc., so this is all par for the course.

171 (or 176) + 8 = 179 (184)
That means he rehydrates 24-30lbs.
How are they made up numbers?

The 176 is completely made up.

And it's 171 at the most. We have no idea if it was even less than that.

By that logic, training camps are useless then. Why bother with them?
There's a big difference between being in shape and being in fight shape.
Training camps are mostly for conditioning, top level professionals (like Volk) do technique training and sparring all year round basically. The conditioning didn't factor into this fight because it was a 1st round KO.

That is Islam’s fault and nobody elses. He is a big guy who has trouble making weight so he can have bigger advantage against smaller guys.

Being out of fight-shape is a death sentence, unlike what you just described. No serious athlete will want to fight championship level fight without training at fight-speed while having to cut big amount of weight in short time.

Weight cutting is a skill and physical ability that varies, just like anything else. Some people can cut 20 lbs easier than others can cut 13 lbs.

Islam's usual stated cage weight is around the 175 mark.

You also avoided the points I made.

Almost every fighter would choose not having a full fight camp but still training VS being dehydrated 8 lbs.

Hell, fighting a bunch of times without full camps used to be the MMA norm. LOL at you saying that's a death sentence.

You know what wasn't ever the norm? Fighting 8 lbs dehydrated.

Training camps are mostly for conditioning, top level professionals (like Volk) do technique training and sparring all year round basically. The conditioning didn't factor into this fight because it was a 1st round KO.

This guy gets it.

Weight cutting is a skill and physical ability that varies, just like anything else. Some people can cut 20 lbs easier than others can cut 13 lbs.

Islam's usual stated cage weight is around the 175 mark.

You also avoided the points I said.

Almost every fighter would choose not having a full fight camp but still training VS being dehydrated 8 lbs.

Hell, fighting a bunch of times without full camps used to be the MMA norm. LOL at you saying that's a death sentence.

You know what wasn't ever the norm? Fighting 8 lbs dehydrated.
Norm in old-school MMA? Like I care for that, no disrespect, but there are reasons we have many more technical fighters today, professionalism is on another level.

And I don’t think that fighters would choose what you just said, especially since they already have size advantage against smaller guys. Islam fought 8 lbs lighter but he would never fight without a camp, like any Dagestani fighter. They talked about that numerous times, especially Khabib’s father. There is no point in yelling instructions to someone who cannot follow them as they should because of not being in fight-shape, his words.

Yeah, I agree. Lol

But we've seen more than one fighter step in the cage with only a single functioning eye, doctors not catching major injuries (TJ's last fight), etc., so this is all par for the course.

The 176 is completely made up.

And it's 171 at the most. We have no idea if it was even less than that.
Charles Oliveiras biggest fan told us on page 2. that IVlam was 173 in Perth and 181 lbs in Abu Dhabi. I believe him on this. Lol!
So he rehydrates 26lbs. That’s 17%, he would never be allowed to fight in California.

Norm in old-school MMA? Like I care for that, no disrespect, but there are reasons we have many more technical fighters today, professionalism is on another level.

I agree that fight camps are obviously ideal (for timing the cycle and periodization of an athlete's peak physical abilities so that they coincide with the fight, and game planning), but I was just contesting you saying a lack of fight camp is a death sentence.

It isn't. It used to be the norm. It's just not ideal.

And I don’t think that fighters would choose what you just said,

That's because I don't think you realize what it feels like to be 8 lbs dehydrated, and you're definitely not appreciating what it would do to an athlete's performance to compete in that condition.

The early part of fight camps may be for conditioning if fighters are out of shape which belies your theory that they're always in shape. Fight camps are for honing skills they've already learned and being at a peak performance for the fight. That's why they spar a lot.
Islam looked like he had been honing his striking game a lot in camp. Volk didn't even land a punch before the KO. He looked like a guy who literally rolled off the couch to fight. He even admitted afterwards that Islam isn't a guy you should fight if you're not seriously training for it. His hubris thinking he could do it came back to bite him on the ass.

Being out of fight-shape is a death sentence, unlike what you just described. No serious athlete will want to fight championship level fight without training at fight-speed while having to cut big amount of weight in short time. Islam would never do that because he knows how much that takes out of your performance. There are many examples in every combat sport, guys not being able to hang even with sparring partners until returning to shape.

Camps are crucial for getting a fighter to his 100%, nothing else comes close.

Trouble making weight? He's never missed weight once. Not once. Ever.

Y'all haters are such a precious bunch. Bless your hearts. Though some brain blessing wouldn't hurt either.

Charles Oliveiras biggest fan told us on page 2. that IVlam was 173 in Perth and 181 lbs in Abu Dhabi. I believe him on this. Lol!

I'm sure you do. ;-) lol

What we know for sure is

A. Volk said he weighed 172 on fight night.

B. The UFC told Islam that Volk weighed more than him.

The early part of fight camps may be for conditioning if fighters are out of shape which belies your theory that they're always in shape. Fight camps are for honing skills they've already learned and being at a peak performance for the fight.

The part I bolded is what moosaev was talking about. That doesn't contradict fighters always being in shape, because "peak performance" is a condition that can only be sustained temporarily, in cycles that must be timed.

But there's a VAST distance between peak and "out of shape". Volk is the kind of fighter who is always in shape and very close to peak, but obviously he can't be in absolutely peak condition 24/7.

I'm sure you do. ;-) lol

What we know for sure is

A. Volk said he weighed 172 on fight night.

B. The UFC told Islam that Volk weighed more than him.
Sorry but, I think moosaev knows this. He is the selfdeclared biggest fan of Olives on SD.

and I believe him more on this, than IVlam as a source on an another fighters weight. :D

I agree that fight camps are obviously ideal (for timing the cycle and periodization of an athlete's peak physical abilities so that they coincide with the fight, and game planning), but I was just contesting you saying a lack of fight camp is a death sentence.

It isn't. It used to be the norm. It's just not ideal.

That's because I don't think you realize what it feels like to be 8 lbs dehydrated, and you're definitely not appreciating what it would do to an athlete's performance to compete in that condition.
More than not ideal with knowledge we have today. Even considered stupid because it is proven to make a big difference a lot of the times. You cannot replace fight-speed level sparring and conditioning with being in regular shape. Every facet of your game is affected greatly, at least on the level we are talking about. If you saw how Volk’s camp looked like last time, you knew that it was not possible for him to come on the same level.

I know it is not easy, but I tell you, you will never see Islam fight without full camp with gruesome amounts of high-level sparring rounds and conditioning. You saw him fight 8 lbs lighter and you would see it again if something like that happens. But okay, I guess we will not agree on this one regardless.

Back