Off Limit Jokes

Within the setting of stand-up comedy, nothing should be off-limits. You have the choice to listen to what's being said.

In your every day life, a lot should be off-limits.

All possibly offensive things that pu$$ies will try to get you doxed and cancelled for.

So everything is off limits.

However, insults & threats to straight caucasian males are encouraged.

Only ones that aren't funny.
Honestly this. But the more serious a subject the more difficult it is to write or come up with a smart transcendent joke. There's lots of dudes who just think joking about taboo subjects is funny in and of itself but it's really not. Any subject can be joked about with a really smart joke though, usually smart funny jokes about a serious subject need to come with an implied context of consideration or understanding. Otherwise it comes off as immature. That's why the greats are greats. They go to those deadly serious places. And even they don't hit every time.

Absolutely nothing should ever be off limits. Making certain jokes can make you an arsehole, but you should be free to be an arsehole.
100%

The only judgement should be if it is funny or not.
And even that is subjective.

If people don't like your jokes and you aren't funny then you won't succeed in comedy.
It is already a self regulating situation.

And if people want to be offended...
Be offended. Go for it.

I'd say nothing but then again depends on your audience. I remember I went to a cancer benefit at the Irvine Improv and one of the comics joked about wanting her Dad to die at a fucking Cancer benefit, think the "punchline" had to do with inheritance. Audible groan from the audience. Most of my group felt bad for her, until she started making Asian jokes (in Irvine) like 30% of the crowd was Asian so she lost pretty much everyone there.

People are too sensitive and insecure. I don’t think I’ve ever been offended at a joke that wasn’t intentionally mean spirited. Of course you don’t want to make bad jokes that make people sad either
Yep, I'll add in actual specific insults to groups of folks.

Anyone that insults that way is doing so for a deliberate response and typically, they dont disappoint.

If someone directed an insult at me and used an ethical slur, it's still someone trying to attack me. I make the choice how to respond.

You can joke about any topic but it depends on what the joke is.

I think the worst joke I've been told started off "what's the funniest thing about a child being raped?"
This was told in a workplace believe it or not.

Anyway the next day a woman had a go at the guy who told it. Now this woman was a raging feminist and did carry on with some annoying shit occasionally. When she left said guy went something like "geez she's carrying on again" and I let him know he was on his own with that "joke".

People are too sensitive and insecure. I don’t think I’ve ever been offended at a joke that wasn’t intentionally mean spirited. Of course you don’t want to make bad jokes that make people sad either
I think it’s ok to be offended, but I think a sincere apology should fix most situations. I don’t think I could ever understand choosing to completely end a relationship with a friend, creating tension in the workplace, or something like that because they are offended by a joke

I often wonder if I cybered with any of the youngsters' mom's on here back on AOL.

Dude I think that about the sex offenders in my prison. Do you really think they were all female when we existed in the wild west?!?!? It hurts!!!!

You can say anything if it's funny or true, IMO. But pick your time and place

Imo if it’s done out of a true intention to make someone laugh, even if it fails, it’s ok. I remember Jim Norton and Anthony joking about the Lacey Peterson and it was legitimately hilarious even it fucked up.

Some stuff is done or said for cheap shock value as some sort of performance with no real intention to be funny; that sort of thing I find stupid as fuck.

A lot of people seem to get a kick just out of being assholes and hide it behind some half assed attempt at “comedy”. Like when Ari Shaffir said after Kobe Bryant’s death “Kobe is GONE thank god that rapist died” and then tried to pass it off as some sort of comedy attempt, even though it didn’t seem like there was any attempt at a joke, just trying to piss people off. Seemed to me like he was just being a pos and hiding behind it, and I’m not even a basketball fan or really care about the topic at all.

I don't know if I would say off limits but jokes that punch down are never that funny. Making fun of minorities, the disabled, and the fringe while feels edgy only marginalizes their plight. Making fun of old rich white guys never gets old because often they abuse and manipulate other groups.
There's a joke here that you think the groups of people you mentioned are below you.

Back