Off Limit Jokes

What are some things you think you shouldn't joke about? I think nothing should be off limits unless it's something that's just too close to home and relevant.

For example, I have a friend who sells drugs to his friends, and there are times when I want to yell "It's the cops!" whenever I see him just to see the reaction on his face. Of course I don't because that would be really not cool.

I have Ukrainian and Israeli friends, and I don't joke about the currently ongoing wars happening in their countries. Maybe after the war I will.
If it's comedy, like stand up, I'm not sure if there is a good answer.

If it's comedy among friends and acquaintances, don't create humor at the expense of someone else.

100%

The only judgement should be if it is funny or not.
And even that is subjective.

If people don't like your jokes and you aren't funny then you won't succeed in comedy.
It is already a self regulating situation.

And if people want to be offended...
Be offended. Go for it.

The problem with this is that some humor is in the same vein as hate speech. The joke presented earlier is a messed up joke but there is some humor that is hurtful and about presenting stereotypes, racism, homophobia, or misogyny. We have all heard it and usually it is pretty clear when you are laughing at someone or with them. I don't really buy the argument that jokes should be treated in a different vein. I have heard so many jokes about the work ethic of black people from racist uncles to know that it often is nothing more than thinly veiled hate speech. You can even find politicians doing this like with Reagan tell is long winded stories about strapping young men and welfare queens.

9/11. When Izzy made a joke about his opponent dropping like the twin towers everyone smashed the report button for like 3 days straight.

I have a friend who regularly jokes about my wife or kids. It's always in bad taste and he's a cunt.

I'm quite a level person but he often makes me want to lift him off the ground by his throat.

I have a friend who regularly jokes about my wife or kids. It's always in bad taste and he's a cunt.

I'm quite a level person but he often makes me want to lift him off the ground by his throat.
Doesn't sound like one to me.

Doesn't sound like one to me.

Yup. He's got issues. Alone, no family or friends that would come calling, poor, no teeth, ill health, in his 60s, blames everyone else for his problems.

I have a great family, am strong of mind and healthy (usually). I believe he feels the difference and lashes out. He's alright once I tell him to wind his neck in.

He's a cunt, but he's not a terrible cunt. But broadly speaking I am probably too forgiving, I've consciously been less so since having a family.

Yup. He's got issues. Alone, no family or friends that would come calling, poor, no teeth, ill health, in his 60s, blames everyone else for his problems.

I have a great family, am strong of mind and healthy (usually). I believe he feels the difference and lashes out. He's alright once I tell him to wind his neck in.

He's a cunt, but he's not a terrible cunt. But broadly speaking I am probably too forgiving, I've consciously been less so since having a family.
I never forgive anyone for anything.

I think the worst joke I've been told started off "what's the funniest thing about a child being raped?"
This was told in a workplace believe it or not.

So are you going to leave us all hanging on the punchline or am I going to have to google this?

It does hurt, which is why I'm making that joke off limits.
We will get through this together. A/S/L will stand for Always Sherdoggers Lead

giphy.webp

RoastBeast said:
I'm making that joke off limits.

Tragedy humor, or insulting humor, isn't funny to those that it happened to. We get it.

So are you going to leave us all hanging on the punchline or am I going to have to google this?

Fuck ok. The punchline (if you can call it that) was “watching them break down in the witness stand.”

Nothing clever about this joke and it’s making fun of a child rape victim, I see no humour in it at all.

I really don't think there should be any jokes that are off limits...... Anyone getting seriously offended on behalf of others has skeletons in their closet.......

Back