In April fast-food workers in Cali will get $20 an hour

Fox, what are you trying to accomplish?

I ask you for specific point you want answered, and you refuse.

I give concession to whatever point you are trying to make, and you object.

What do you want, friend?

You are seeing this the wrong way. This isn't an opportunity to establish some form of credential in defiance. It is an opportunity to discover some unknowns in your model/perception. I REALLY am a grad at a top 10 Uni in the US (better than that, honestly). I have not posted in SherDog in months because I've been busy with class (and I mostly only post here when I'm drinking, lol.). My time would cost you real money outside this forum. I'm not someone you can "defeat" in econ, but I am someone you can refine your arguments with.

If "the US just does not pay workers enough!" is your default, it has a lot of room for improvement. The US isn't a economic powerhouse because it is stupid and does everything wrong. There is more room to grow. Let me know what your real questions are, and I might (no guarantees, because the higher you go in Econ, the more disagreement there is ...) be able to contribute in a meaningful, understandable way.

P.S. This isn't pure virtue. The more clearly I can explain economic models, the more clearly I understand them. This is why grad students are often required to teach.

P.P.S. I've never voted for a conservative candidate in my life, though I could see myself doing so. Not because I am generally socially "conservative", but rather because I am through-and-through economically liberal (which is Right, not Left, in the US. I didn't make the rules.)
i thought you were out of the conversation after "winning".
sounds like you're back for more crying.
all my arguments are in my posts. any reasonable person can find what they need there. but you just wanted to run away. you're not a serious poster.

Not everyone working is supporting themselves on it. Some are kids in school, some are retirees who are bored, and some are people with second jobs. By making "minimum wage" a living wage, you are eliminating a lot of jobs.

Also, nobody could live on $7/hr 25 years ago, or even 30. Trust me, I was on the bad end of this back in '93-94, and I'm in the "cheap" Midwest.

Also, for anyone who didn't read the bill, it's not the new minimum wage for California, it's just for fast food. It's meant to push out corporate stores in favor of franchises and small business owners, who can all continue to pay their workers under $20/hr. They DID make some healthcare workers $18/hr minimum, so I suppose that means flipping burgers is more important than healthcare in CA?

I don't get it, but I have given up on trying to understand that state.
This is still a really good thing.

The pearl clutching among conservatives in this thread is unbelievable. The thought that people going from $15 to $20 per hour (in Cali) would destroy the economy is a fairytale designed to keep poor people for asking for more money.

1. Note. conservatives have no such pearl clutching when millionaires become billionaires. Only when poor people get a crumb more are we all in trouble according to them.

2. Businesses should already be operating at their max price point and labor efficiency. An increase in only the bottom end of the labor costs is not significant for most businesses. Many totally unskilled jobs, even in the South, now earn $20 per hour.

3. A business that doesn’t pay its employees is a drain on society and needs to be weeded out by the market. If you pay a poverty wage, your employees need to rely on government or charity while you get rich. Everyone else shouldn’t have to subsidize that. If you can’t make a business work paying people a living wage, you are not worth your salt as a business person.

Nice! In May, people will be paying 22.50 for a hamburger, med fries and coke. Should work itself out.

Inn n Out is the only fast food place I frequent when in California and their prices are still pretty reasonable, even though they increased quite a bit the last couple years compared to year's past. Fuck paying $10-15 for some shitty ass McDonald's food, I don't even want that trash for free. These places are probably going to just automate more.
They have 397 locations so this may affect them.
We will see.

There's alternate solutions to everything. If a company goes straight to staff cuts and price hikes then they aren't thinking hard enough. Layoffs too balance out an increase from min wage seems like a spite tactic.

Lol…. Spite? You think companies want to layoff workers?

Durrrr

IMG_6110.jpeg

Democrats… unintentionally fucking the working class at every turn

Imagine a single mom paying $50 to take her kids for shitty Mcdonalds

The pearl clutching among conservatives in this thread is unbelievable. The thought that people going from $15 to $20 per hour (in Cali) would destroy the economy is a fairytale designed to keep poor people for asking for more money.

1. Note. conservatives have no such pearl clutching when millionaires become billionaires. Only when poor people get a crumb more are we all in trouble according to them.

2. Businesses should already be operating at their max price point and labor efficiency. An increase in only the bottom end of the labor costs is not significant for most businesses. Many totally unskilled jobs, even in the South, now earn $20 per hour.

3. A business that doesn’t pay its employees is a drain on society and needs to be weeded out by the market. If you pay a poverty wage, your employees need to rely on government or charity while you get rich. Everyone else shouldn’t have to subsidize that. If you can’t make a business work paying people a living wage, you are not worth your salt as a business person.
Why not make the minimum wage $100/hr? Or $1000?

Also I don't think that the money will be taken from the McDonalds shareholders. The particular franchise owner is the one who pays wages out of that particular store's profits. And the average McDonalds franchise owner makes $150k.

Durrrr

IMG_6110.jpeg

Umm, corporations are going to outsource and automate as much as possible regardless of how much their workers are making. The benefits of lower tier workers organizing and then getting a 5 dollar increase in wage per hour (on average) clearly outweigh any negatives.

All this means is GOAT n out will reign supreme, one of the few fast food chains to pay their workers well and not switch to self ordering tech.

Unfortunately their owners are conservative Christians though so it’s the food of the devil.

This is why we kneel.

They are just greedy. These franchises along side the corporation always try to maximize cost. They gave the 20 bucks to absolve them from other issues. It's a compromise to keep the workers from getting more rights. I believe the original aim was 24 dollars.

Durrrr

IMG_6110.jpeg

McDonalds was doing this anyway

• In April, California fast-food workers are set to get a nearly 30% pay bump to $20 an hour.
  • Fast-food chains such as Chipotle say they'll raise prices to offset the state's higher labor costs.
  • Two Pizza Hut franchisees are laying off more than 1,200 delivery drivers in California.
I’m all for people making more money, but food prices in Cali are about to skyrocket! It’s already bad as it is, but can you imagine paying $30 for a combo at a fast-food joint?
Member when we said that if they got 15 they’d be wanting 20 within a year or two? Pepperidge farm remembers.

California has a very high cost of living though. 20 might make sense there.

It's sad to see that people still don't know how money works. All this does is drive up inflation and land the fast food workers back in the same spot they were originally in.

There is no house with a white picket fence at the end of this road for them.

It's sad to see that people still don't know how money works. All this does is drive up inflation and land the fast food workers back in the same spot they were originally in.

There is no house with a white picket fence at the end of this road for them.
How does money work in such a way that all this does is drive up inflation and land the workers in the same spot? This should be good.

How does money work in such a way that all this does is drive up inflation and land the workers in the same spot? This should be good.

We've already been over this. Supply and demand. This shit is so simple, I don't feel like going over it again with you. If you give a bunch of people a substantial raise, there is now more money floating around in the economy. This is demand.

Housing supply is not going to go up when fast food workers get a $4 raise so demand will rise at an artificial rate while supply is basically the same as it was before the raise. When you have more demand than supply, prices go up.

This is all so very simple. I really don't get why it even needs to be discussed.

Durrrr

IMG_6110.jpeg

Yes. Clearly they are. A lot of restaurants have also stopped table service to cut back.

Back