In April fast-food workers in Cali will get $20 an hour

Sakuraba is #1

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
  • In April, California fast-food workers are set to get a nearly 30% pay bump to $20 an hour.
  • Fast-food chains such as Chipotle say they'll raise prices to offset the state's higher labor costs.
  • Two Pizza Hut franchisees are laying off more than 1,200 delivery drivers in California.
I’m all for people making more money, but food prices in Cali are about to skyrocket! It’s already bad as it is, but can you imagine paying $30 for a combo at a fast-food joint?

• In April, California fast-food workers are set to get a nearly 30% pay bump to $20 an hour.
  • Fast-food chains such as Chipotle say they'll raise prices to offset the state's higher labor costs.
  • Two Pizza Hut franchisees are laying off more than 1,200 delivery drivers in California.
I’m all for people making more money, but food prices in Cali are about to skyrocket! It’s already bad as it is, but can you imagine paying $30 for a combo at a fast-food joint?

My son, going to college, works at Mountain Mike's Pizza (great pizza by the way). He already makes $15.50 + Tips (he delivers often). His average is about $23.00 an hour, which is pretty amazing for no skills. I wonder what happens in April... mass layoffs? He will be fine as he is already picking up video editing / production work, which has been his joy since editing COD trick shot videos as a 6th grader syncing music to movements. He's has amazing skills, so he'll be fine, but others? Yikes. If this goes like Puerto Rico that did it, the youth will become unemployed in mass numbers. Meahwhile, everything becomes more expensive. It's begging for inflation.

It's worse than the OP states, as the bill includes mandatory minimum increases every year over the next ~8 years or so.

Edit: After reading the bill more closely, this won't change anything. It only applies to corporate "fast serve" restaurants with 60+ locations. It's just a maneuver to push out competitors for franchises. They even threatened to hold franchising corporations legally liable for franchise labor violations if they fought. (Ex. the McDonald's company would have been fined for any labor laws a independent owner/operator committed while paying to use the McDonalds brand). This basically just pushes the corporate-owned stores out of the California market.

They suckered those poor people into thinking they are going to get more money, when all most of them are going to get is fired. And the ones that keep their jobs won't get raises anyway.

Last edited:
In my experience working fast food, there's usually like 5-6 people standing around for a job 2 competent people can do. Might take slightly longer, but I think you'll see the competent people stay and get paid better and they will just cut down to the bare minimum to get the job done, which will make wait times longer.

Places that do not have those competent people will turn into complete shit shows. Like 40 minutes wait for cold shit food missing half the items.

It won't be good for those that are already in food deserts with only roach coaches and fast food nearby. That fast food if it's still open is going to cost too much.

It won't be good for those that are already in food deserts with only roach coaches and fast food nearby. That fast food if it's still open is going to cost too much.
They are going to be robbing the fast food workers for burgers and fries

There's alternate solutions to everything. If a company goes straight to staff cuts and price hikes then they aren't thinking hard enough. Layoffs too balance out an increase from min wage seems like a spite tactic.

Cool, so they are finally ditching the whole tipping scam?

My son, going to college, works at Mountain Mike's Pizza (great pizza by the way). He already makes $15.50 + Tips (he delivers often). His average is about $23.00 an hour, which is pretty amazing for no skills. I wonder what happens in April... mass layoffs? He will be fine as he is already picking up video editing / production work, which has been his joy since editing COD trick shot videos as a 6th grader syncing music to movements. He's has amazing skills, so he'll be fine, but others? Yikes. If this goes like Puerto Rico that did it, the youth will become unemployed in mass numbers. Meahwhile, everything becomes more expensive. It's begging for inflation.
This. Australia has the highest minimum wages in the world and the one thing that I hear from American friends when they come over here is... Holy crap, everything is so damn expensive here.

Inn n Out is the only fast food place I frequent when in California and their prices are still pretty reasonable, even though they increased quite a bit the last couple years compared to year's past. Fuck paying $10-15 for some shitty ass McDonald's food, I don't even want that trash for free. These places are probably going to just automate more.

Inn n Out is the only fast food place I frequent when in California and their prices are still pretty reasonable, even though they increased quite a bit the last couple years compared to year's past. Fuck paying $10-15 for some shitty ass McDonald's food, I don't even want that trash for free. These places are probably going to just automate more.

100% - I go to In N Out once a week and they have amazingly kept prices down in comparison, and of course their burgers rock compared to most other places.

There's alternate solutions to everything. If a company goes straight to staff cuts and price hikes then they aren't thinking hard enough. Layoffs too balance out an increase from min wage seems like a spite tactic.
Alternative solutions to everything? Such as? The largest cost for these businesses is pretty much always staffing. If their costs greatly increase, what are they supposed to do, just start operating at a loss?

How on earth did you come to the conclusion that it is a "spite tactic"?

Back