Social Minimum Wage now at $20 an hour in California

They had to pick some number. I'd imagine there's some sort of data to support it. Frankly living in neighboring Nevada it sounds pretty reasonable. Fast food places here are starting to pay in the $17 to $18 range without anyone forcing them to.

One of the main arguments against raising minimum wage I always see is it will cause inflation. But inflation is always happening anyway and what's the better situation: Massive inflation and you get a cost of living increase or massive inflation and your wages stay stagnant.

I just got a 10% cost of living adjustment and it was company wide. My first thought wasn't pfft the price of everything is going up anyway who cares. It was thank God something to help me keep up with the rising cost of housing, gas, and food.
That is some assuming you're doing, a few years ago the magic number was 15. What you're saying is fair, prices on everything has gone up, but the wages don't. But if there is a nonstop flex with wages to match the economy what happens when things get cheaper you make less to match the rate? Also, what about let's say a person who worked at MCd's 5 years, they started at 14 a hr in CA. They became shift lead after a year and get a raise to 15.50 then become junior night shift manager. Get a jump to 17 an hour and now they are deputy manager making 20.75 an hour. The jump to 20 an hour min hurts them. That is good about your company in my line of work I never got an increase because the economy is more expensive, but I also make pretty good money.

How do you like living in NV I almost moved to Vegas for a job, been there many many times growing up and working in AZ.

I don't like to see people who work hard struggle either, but I can see how quickly a cup of coffee can become 50$. Land of opportunity is a real thing, somewhere there is a single mom working two jobs and going to night school. Obviously everyone can't do that

But I'm sure bootl
That isn't a California thing...places are doing this in every single state. And they are definitely doing it in the middle of nowhere USA like where I live too lol

Domino's is the only place I know of that still does delivery around me and weirdly enough, they bought like 6 delivery cars with dominos branding all over them and parked them in front of the restaurant.
Yeah I think dominoes is the only place doing their own delivery here too. Everything else is doordash.

Yeah I think dominoes is the only place doing their own delivery here too. Everything else is doordash.
Delivery is for suckers. Cock suckers. Forget the added cost, I need my food to be as hot as possible. I show up five minutes before it's supposed to be ready so I can get it fresh out of the oven and speed home to enjoy.

That is some assuming you're doing, a few years ago the magic number was 15. What you're saying is fair, prices on everything has gone up, but the wages don't. But if there is a nonstop flex with wages to match the economy what happens when things get cheaper you make less to match the rate? Also, what about let's say a person who worked at MCd's 5 years, they started at 14 a hr in CA. They became shift lead after a year and get a raise to 15.50 then become junior night shift manager. Get a jump to 17 an hour and now they are deputy manager making 20.75 an hour. The jump to 20 an hour min hurts them. That is good about your company in my line of work I never got an increase because the economy is more expensive, but I also make pretty good money.

How do you like living in NV I almost moved to Vegas for a job, been there many many times growing up and working in AZ.

I don't like to see people who work hard struggle either, but I can see how quickly a cup of coffee can become 50$. Land of opportunity is a real thing, somewhere there is a single mom working two jobs and going to night school. Obviously everyone can't do that
Much of that is because fast food lobbyists fight to delay minimum wage increases from going into effect for as long as possible when they are passed. $15 today won't have the same value in 5 years time. I was making $15 in 2019 living on my own with a car payment too and getting by just fine. I was making $16 with no car payment and lower expenses in general briefly last year, and I was going into debt every single month.

We don't get raises out here out of the goodness of their heart, but because the free market actually functions to a degree here. There are lots of warehouses and manufacturers here and they're competing for the same workers as the service industry since it's entry level. The warehouses have tight deadlines especially since covid, and they must be kept. So they continually begrudgingly bump up pay to fight turnover.

This then forces the service industry to boost wages too, or else everyone will just go to the warehouses. So businesses actually competing the way they're supposed to in a free market has lead to higher wages for the lower class in general here. There have been hiccups but ultimately from 2018 to 2024 my wages went from 15.25 an hour to 24.75 an hour. I also have far better benefits than I used to.

As far as Nevada I love the labor economy and everything else is.hot garbage. Since I live in poor areas I'm surrounded by all sorts of grifters and drug addicts and mentally ill homeless zombies. If you can get out of the city and into the suburbs it is quite nice though. The burbs are pleasant and have a low rate of crime.

Much of that is because fast food lobbyists fight to delay minimum wage increases from going into effect for as long as possible when they are passed. $15 today won't have the same value in 5 years time. I was making $15 in 2019 living on my own with a car payment too and getting by just fine. I was making $16 with no car payment and lower expenses in general briefly last year, and I was going into debt every single month.

We don't get raises out here out of the goodness of their heart, but because the free market actually functions to a degree here. There are lots of warehouses and manufacturers here and they're competing for the same workers as the service industry since it's entry level. The warehouses have tight deadlines especially since covid, and they must be kept. So they continually begrudgingly bump up pay to fight turnover.

This then forces the service industry to boost wages too, or else everyone will just go to the warehouses. So businesses actually competing the way they're supposed to in a free market has lead to higher wages for the lower class in general here. There have been hiccups but ultimately from 2018 to 2024 my wages went from 15.25 an hour to 24.75 an hour. I also have far better benefits than I used to.

As far as Nevada I love the labor economy and everything else is.hot garbage. Since I live in poor areas I'm surrounded by all sorts of grifters and drug addicts and mentally ill homeless zombies. If you can get out of the city and into the suburbs it is quite nice though. The burbs are pleasant and have a low rate of crime.

I live in the burbs and a local non national burger place was advertising 20 an hour starting with no experience two years ago.

The school district is paying over 30 an hour for bus drivers with paid training to get your commercial license and benefits.

Meanwhile in other states there are skilled high stress jobs like EMTs making 11.50 an hour.

I live in the burbs and a local non national burger place was advertising 20 an hour starting with no experience two years ago.

The school district is paying over 30 an hour for bus drivers with paid training to get your commercial license and benefits.

Meanwhile in other states there are skilled high stress jobs like EMTs making 11.50 an hour.
Some of this is the massive variance in regional economies. When it costs double to live in one state over another, well you better be making double.

Delivery is for suckers. Cock suckers. Forget the added cost, I need my food to be as hot as possible. I show up five minutes before it's supposed to be ready so I can get it fresh out of the oven and speed home to enjoy.

A man of culture. Pizza is the only food acceptable for delivery since it can beheated up In oven and be good as new,.,,and that's shitty chain restaurant pizza. I wouldn't soil a good pizza with delivery

Glad yours're doing better and yea the mutual agreement with businesses working for money is apart of the free market. Don't like what this company is paying you go to the competitor, of course at times like your said there is an effort to hold down the wages like from fast food companies. Thinking raising the minimum a business will let that just eat into their profit is wrong. They will comply and find a way to get that profit back, less employees, rise prices ect. Then everyone in the neighborhood is making a minimum of 20 am hour, well the rent and car % paid ratio goes up based on salary, eventually.

Side note I would like to hear what @Jack V Savage thinks of this? is 20 the right number should it be higher or lower? What do you think sir. ( I think you live in CA and you have impressive knowledge about finances)

Last edited:
Glad yours're doing better and yea the mutual agreement with businesses working for money is apart of the free market. Don't like what this company is paying you go to the competitor, of course at times like your said there is an effort to hold down the wages like from fast food companies. Thinking raising the minimum a business will let that just eat into their profit is wrong. They will comply and find a way to get that profit back, less employees, rise prices ect. Then everyone in the neighborhood is making a minimum of 20 am hour, well the rent and car % paid ratio goes up based on salary, eventually.

Side note I would like to hear what @Jack V Savage thinks of this? is 20 the right number should it be higher or lower? What do you think sir. ( I think you live in CA and you have impressive knowledge about finances)
Yeah the thing is we should be able to increase wages without corporate America throwing a fit like this. It's a power play not based on any actual inability to raise wages. The only entiity that can check them on that is our government. This entire scenario playing out the way it is, is just more proof that our government is completely corrupt and in the pocket of big business.

These same corporations are paying more in other first world countries with an actual government. There also already paying wages like this in areas in America where they actually have competition for labor.

oh no!! the average item will go up by 5 or 10 cents to pay for this!! we cant afford that...

Yep hard work is important, but there's a reason so many people that are successful come from a background of intergenerational wealth. It's a lot easier to execute on an idea or get a business started when you have far more resources than the people you're competing against.
not just resources... everyone you know owns a company if you are rich AND there is a consciousness that goes along with it to. you can see it in their faces.... they expect to be in charge of other people because its all they have ever known. its a huge advantage for them.

blue collar guy gets hooked up with a job at the tire shop... guess where white collar buy gets a job?

oh no!! the average item will go up by 5 or 10 cents to pay for this!! we cant afford that...
Lol great way of thinking. Oh no they want to tax me 5$ more a year the horror.....

EMTs are criminally underpaid. I honestly don’t know why they do it.

What about the people who showed up for work thinking that they are going to start a new life making $20 an hour, only to find out that their business closed?

There is a lot more happening here than just an increase in prices. Fat Burger said they are cutting hours along with vacation pay.

You are wholly incorrect about what I'm saying. The middle class has become dependent on the exploitation of the poor but it is not the middle class who is benefitting from the exploitation, it is the rich. Dependent upon it but not benefiting therefrom. Leftist policies do not give things to the poor at the expense of the middle class. It's a fallacious way of thinking that the rich have convinced people in the middle class of to prevent the middle class from actually examining these things.

Let's use Walmart again to illustrate the problem. Joe Middle likes cheap goods. Sam Walton has convinced Joe Middle that the only way he can get cheap goods is if Luke Low-Wage makes a low wage. But the truth is that Sam Walton could still sell cheap goods and pay Luke a decent wage. Joe Middle would still get cheap goods. But Sam Walton would make less money.

Sam has tricked Joe. Joe thinks he's benefitting from Luke's low wage but it's really Sam who's reaping the benefit. See, if Sam ever had to pay Luke a higher wage, he's not going to reduce Sam's income, he's just going to make Joe pay more so that Sam keeps the same massive income. Poor Joe Middle doesn't realize that Luke has never been the problem. Sam was exploiting both of them, he's just make Joe a part of the exploitation without ever give Joe any of the real benefit.

Remember, Joe and Luke are buying the same goods at the same prices, it's not like Sam raises the prices only on Joe Middle. If Joe is paying more money, so is Luke. But Joe somehow believes he's the only one suffering. Joe is a useful idiot economically.

To the extent that Democrats are considered leftists, leftist policies do harm the middle class to give things to the poor.

It doesn't have to be this way, but it is what the real outcome ends up being. The easiest example would be with taxes. Middle class people would be on board with there being more social programs for the poor if the tax increase to pay for these programs was bore by the rich.

Republicans win elections in key states specifically because of disgruntled middle class voters. The middle class doesn't like seeing the expansion of government services to the poor when it results in higher taxes for the middle class.

What about the people who showed up for work thinking that they are going to start a new life making $20 an hour, only to find out that their business closed?

There is a lot more happening here than just an increase in prices. Fat Burger said they are cutting hours along with vacation pay.

I feel bad for them, because the owner of that business was a complete piece of shit that did what he did to make a show and get on TV, fucking over his employees in the process.

These threads always bring the laughs. Poor people problems are funny.

I have seen the WR lost its collective mind over trivial things many times before, but the dumbassery is on a whole different level now that stupid motherfuckers are acting like the sky is falling after In-n-Out raising their hamburger price by 10 cents so all their employees can get paid $20/hour.

And somehow that massive W all-around is turned into a leftist vs rightwinger pillow fight. I would argue that this is more of a low IQ problem rather than a poor people problem.

Closing their store instead of raising the price of a burger by $10 or $0.20 means the guys are real c*** trying to make a point had nothing to do with not being able to pay his employees.

Too bad people like you won't hold him to the fire and shame him publicly for being a greedy bastard.

I mean you understand this is California right 20 bucks an hour there is poverty wages isn't it?

To the extent that Democrats are considered leftists, leftist policies do harm the middle class to give things to the poor.

It doesn't have to be this way, but it is what the real outcome ends up being. The easiest example would be with taxes. Middle class people would be on board with there being more social programs for the poor if the tax increase to pay for these programs was bore by the rich.

Republicans win elections in key states specifically because of disgruntled middle class voters. The middle class doesn't like seeing the expansion of government services to the poor when it results in higher taxes for the middle class.
I've explained to you multiple times that you have the economics wrong and thus you have the politics wrong. It does not appear that you care to understand the economics because you want the political blame to run how you want it to run.

Look at your example in this post. Leftists are constantly saying to raise taxes on the rich. The right and the GOP advocate the exact opposite -- they say to cut taxes on the rich with the hope that more tax revenue somehow shows up. Yet despite the well known political difference on taxes, you're blaming the Democrats for wanting the very thing you claim the middle class wants.

You have to just be intentionally bullshitting me at this point. :mad:

Literally you: "Middle class people would be on board with there being more social programs for the poor if the tax increase to pay for these programs was bore by the rich. "

Every Democrat ever: Raise taxes on the rich so we can afford social welfare programs.

Also you: Stupid Democrats won't tax the rich to pay for social services.

If I've been trolled, this was A1 stuff.

Back