Change My Mind: A Society Cannot "Work" Itself to Equality

getting to own a house shouldn't be about making all sorts of enormous sacrifices. a society where that is he case is a sick one.
You don't have to make a human sacrifice of a loved one. You have to live frugally, not have kids you can't afford, work to advance your earning potential, and be willing to relocate. These things are not that hard and will effect your live positively in many ways.

This kind of argument seems to be a religious one where you just have to defend the market no matter what at all costs and everything must be people's fault.
At some point it does begin to resemble religious fanaticism; they have chosen to die on that hill at all costs. Eventually the solution will be, "hey everyone can't live in the US, if you want to own a home you have to suck it up and move to Mexico." 😂

You don't have to make a human sacrifice of a loved one. You have to live frugally, not have kids you can't afford, work to advance your earning potential, and be willing to relocate. These things are not that hard and will effect your live positively in many ways.
Sounds like a shitty life for something that's shouldn't force you to live a shitty life

I specifically stated that you may not get a home in an expensive region. If your primary goal is home ownership then yeh you're going to have to relocate. Very few people can afford a home in the richest areas of North America.

This is so full of s*** man. I can't even begin to tell you. The median income in the city where I live is 40,000. This is not a rich area by any stretch of your wildest imagination. There are rich neighborhoods and there's upper middle class neighborhoods where I live and then there's middle class neighborhoods and then there's poor neighborhoods. The cheapest homes are going for over 400,000 in the poor areas......

You are just full of s***. You have been listening to liars.

I can't change your mind because I don't know what your point is. Capitalism and equality aren't interchangeable terms. And you're describing the economic impact of capitalism, not the economic impacts of inequality.

This. Once I actually started working towards the goal of buying a house, instead of whining about how hard it was, it took 3 years.

2 years to save enough for a down payment on a condo in the city, 1 year of living there, then I flipped it and bought a house in the country with the equity and profit from the condo.

But it took the three thngs leftists are allergic to: hard work, sacrifice and discipline.

Every guy I know who talks about how it's impossible to own a home: smokes weed and/or drinks every day, plays 2+ hours of video games a day, and owns an iPhone.

This is so full of s*** man. I can't even begin to tell you. The median income in the city where I live is 40,000. This is not a rich area by any stretch of your wildest imagination. There are rich neighborhoods and there's upper middle class neighborhoods where I live and then there's middle class neighborhoods and then there's poor neighborhoods. The cheapest homes are going for over 400,000 in the poor areas......

You are just full of s***. You have been listening to liars.

Lol I'm not listening to anyone. I've saved for homes. I've bought homes. I follow home prices in different regions and rates more than most.

You start saving as a young adult and you keep saving while minimizing expenses. It might take a decade. Find an advantageous place in the country to move. When the time is right, pull the trigger.

It's hardship to live frugally? How so?
You're being a little disingenuous here.

To save for a house requires giving up some things. That's not automatically a hardship but it's a question of how many aspects of a healthy and happy life you have to give up to reasonably get that down payment that dictates if there's a hardship.

You're being a little disingenuous here.

To save for a house requires giving up some things. That's not automatically a hardship but it's a question of how many aspects of a healthy and happy life you have to give up to reasonably get that down payment that dictates if there's a hardship.
No I'm not. I live frugally by choice. It started as a necessity but I keep doing it out of habit and I actually enjoy it.

I have a car. It's ten years old and works great.

I drink great coffee. I make it every day... haven't bought a cup in years.

I don't care about clothes.

I fast most days to remain fit. I enjoy it. I eat great food at home. I enjoy cooking.

I don't see anything that I do as a hardship and it can easily be replicated. I see it as I work hard for my money and I want to keep it.

No I'm not. I live frugally by choice. It started as a necessity but I keep doing it out of habit and I actually enjoy it.

I have a car. It's ten years old and works great.

I drink great coffee. I make it every day... haven't bought a cup in years.

I don't care about clothes.

I fast most days to remain fit. I enjoy it. I eat great food at home. I enjoy cooking.

I don't see anything that I do as a hardship and it can easily be replicated. I see it as I work hard for my money and I want to keep it.
That's you. But other people might have to give up significantly more to achieve the necessary savings rate.

It's hardship to live frugally? How so?
come on now with this. you're in a narcissistic episode at the moment.
"why can't people function the same way i think they should?"
it's housing. it's not a lamborghini.

Lol I'm not listening to anyone. I've saved for homes. I've bought homes. I follow home prices in different regions and rates more than most.

You start saving as a young adult and you keep saving while minimizing expenses. It might take a decade. Find an advantageous place in the country to move. When the time is right, pull the trigger.
Keep on shilling for the market. And if you think breaking up families who love each other and support one another through life is an option. "Just move to another state" You're an absolute fool.

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Yes it was expensive before obamacare. It's now at least twice as expensive.

I don't have a chart that says obamacare is responsible. All I have is history and common sense. Everytime government gets involved in subsidizing and making mandates on an industry costs go up. It's very similar to the student loan crisis. The government stepped in and backed student loans which allowed schools to raise tuitions/room/board at a rate that dwarfs normal inflation. It's essentially a blank check.

Same is true for health care. When you dictate that people must have healthcare. When you create new methods of governments subsidizing healthcare. It's no coincidentally that healthcare costs have exploded in the last decade.
That sounds logical enough, and I wasn’t able to easily find statistics on unemployed health insurance costs before and after the ACA. Whatever the case may be, we can probably agree that health care costs way too much, and the ACA, whether it has been a positive or negative overall, it ain’t good enough. If you support a family, the cost of hc is a major consideration before leaving a job to pursue something else, like starting a business.

My preference would be a hybrid UHC, where routine care providers take cash and catastrophic coverage is provided to all. Private insurance can still exist to fill gaps or for different kinds of care providers or whatever.

come on now with this. you're in a narcissistic episode at the moment.
"why can't people function the same way i think they should?"
it's housing. it's not a lamborghini.

How's it narcissistic? I didn't invent begin frugal. I made a claim that it's possible. I'm simply explaining how

Keep on shilling for the market. And if you think breaking up families who love each other and support one another through life is an option. "Just move to another state" You're an absolute fool.

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

What motivation do I have to shill?

Also there's a pretty good size segment of the population that leave the area they grew up in. They do it for school, then career, then just to be in an area they find desirable.

It's not some ultimate tragedy to leave an area. If you decide you can't leave then you're making a choice. That doesn't mean it's impossible to own a home because you'd rather live in your home town than own a home.

How's it narcissistic? I didn't invent begin frugal. I made a claim that it's possible. I'm simply explaining how
It's narcissistic because you set some criteria that work for you and your thesis is "it should work for everyone"

Back