Would Jon Jones vs Ngannou be the biggest fight in UFC history

It wouldn't touch the 2.4m buys that McGregor Vs Khabib did.

Jones biggest was 860k Vs DC. And I'm not sure Ngannou has beat 500k. This would break million though.
I personally don't measure my fight interest by how many casuals tune in, but it is a valid measurement. Among PPVs I've bought or watched at a bar I much preferred Jones/DC 2 and Jones/Gus 1 to Khabib/McGregor even before knowing the outcomes because by then McGregor had lost some shine and I figured it was an inevitable win for Khabib.

Francis said he will fight in PFL this year and their CEO has confirmed it, he wanted to sign a new contract with the UFC before taking the boxing fight but leaving was the right decision, Francis is doing much better without the UFC.

I don't doubt he's doing better without the UFC. But the flip side is the UFC is also doing better without him. It's just one of those scenarios where it didn't work for either side and both are better off separated.

And I'll believe it when I see it when he fights in PFL this year. It all depends on the result of Joshua fight. If he loses, he may come back and do MMA. But if he wins, you can bet he's gonna fight Fury again.

ideal scenario:

francis:
- francis knocks out anthony joshua in boxing on march 8
- tyson fury beats usyk on february 17
- francis rematches and knocks out tyson fury later in the summer, becoming undisputed heavyweight boxing world champion in 24 years since lennox lewis

jones:
- jon finishes old stipe in round 1, later this year
- tom aspinall finishes ciryl gane / jailton almeida / curtis blaydes in the meantime
- jon knocks out or submits aspinall in round 1 (late this year / early next year)

jon vs francis:
jon (undisputed ufc heavyweight champion) vs francis (undisputed boxing heavyweight champion)

this would be the biggest fight in mma history

I don't doubt he's doing better without the UFC. But the flip side is the UFC is also doing better without him. It's just one of those scenarios where it didn't work for either side and both are better off separated.

And I'll believe it when I see it when he fights in PFL this year. It all depends on the result of Joshua fight. If he loses, he may come back and do MMA. But if he wins, you can bet he's gonna fight Fury again.
The UFC would be better if we got fights like Francis vs Jones for the championship, not Jones vs whoever for a paper belt but alas. Were you one of those people who also said Francis would never get the Tyson Fury or Anthony Joshua fights? I'm asking because your arguments remind me of the days when UFC shills were in denial and kept saying that

Last edited:
That fight will never hsppen. Dana would hsve to co-promote with PFL and that alone eleminates it. Frances isn't going back to the UFC snd not even on principle, hid work and obligations with PFL arent nearly met.

Would it have been? Would have been up there. Jon vs. Brock, even DC vs. Brock would have carried serious weight and inspired aww in the fans.

Joned would have won, too. Would have been similar to DC vs Lewis. And John isn;t really even a HW, he's a LHW who doesn't cut. Sll that shit sbout adding muscle mass the right way was just bullshit.

The UFC would be better if we got fights like Francis vs Jones for the championship, not Jones vs whoever for a paper belt but alas. Were you one of those people who also said Francis would never get the Tyson Fury or Anthony Joshua fights? I'm asking because your arguments remind me of the days when UFC shills were in denial and kept saying that

That's a cute accusation, something doesn't go your way so gotta bring up the Francis hater accusations lol.

No, I was not one of those people. I wasn't sure what Francis was gonna do after the UFC, could have been mma or boxing. But I wished him well and was excited when he got the Fury fight. But I have a pretty unbiased look on Francis and know the faults of dealing with him. There is no secret he is difficult to deal with in negotiations.

The UFC would have been better off no doubt getting the Jones vs Francis fight. However, under the circumstances of letting Francis box along with the Jones fight? Which was the deal Francis wanted. No, they would not be better off. And if people don't see that then they are the ones who are just following Francis blindly, not seeing the prospective problems of keeping Francis with a deal like that. It's the same issue that happened with Conor and the UFC learned their lesson, only difference is Francis doesn't bring in what Conor does.

What you have to understand is the possible contract problems the UFC would have to deal with if they allowed Francis to box. If he stayed UFC champ and then fought Fury, it would be very likely he would come back and demand much higher money or sit out. They would have a inactive champion. He would attempt to renegotiate his deal after each fight. And the UFC saw this coming and just didn't want to deal with it as it's not worth it.

In the end, if this deal was worth it for the UFC they would have done it. These guys aren't amateurs putting on fights, it just wasn't worth it. And no fans on an internet forum are gonna dicate what is right for the UFC. Like I said, the deal didn't work for either side and they're both better off as it is now. The only thing that was lost was Jones vs Francis, which both the UFC and Francis lost on equally. And one more thing....I've always said Francis would knock Jon out bad.

That's a cute accusation, something doesn't go your way so gotta bring up the Francis hater accusations lol.

No, I was not one of those people. I wasn't sure what Francis was gonna do after the UFC, could have been mma or boxing. But I wished him well and was excited when he got the Fury fight. But I have a pretty unbiased look on Francis and know the faults of dealing with him. There is no secret he is difficult to deal with in negotiations.

The UFC would have been better off no doubt getting the Jones vs Francis fight. However, under the circumstances of letting Francis box along with the Jones fight? Which was the deal Francis wanted. No, they would not be better off. And if people don't see that then they are the ones who are just following Francis blindly, not seeing the prospective problems of keeping Francis with a deal like that. It's the same issue that happened with Conor and the UFC learned their lesson, only difference is Francis doesn't bring in what Conor does.

What you have to understand is the possible contract problems the UFC would have to deal with if they allowed Francis to box. If he stayed UFC champ and then fought Fury, it would be very likely he would come back and demand much higher money or sit out. They would have a inactive champion. He would attempt to renegotiate his deal after each fight. And the UFC saw this coming and just didn't want to deal with it as it's not worth it.

In the end, if this deal was worth it for the UFC they would have done it. These guys aren't amateurs putting on fights, it just wasn't worth it. And no fans on an internet forum are gonna dicate what is right for the UFC. Like I said, the deal didn't work for either side and they're both better off as it is now. The only thing that was lost was Jones vs Francis, which both the UFC and Francis lost on equally. And one more thing....I've always said Francis would knock Jon out bad.
Well you are just speculating a bunch of things and talking out of your ass like saying that Francis would want to renegotiate his deal after each fight. Guess what? You don't know that. Francis is actually better off because the Fury/Joshua fights are bigger than the Jones fight so Francis didn't lose anything, the UFC on the other hand lost their HW champ and lost Jones vs Francis which would be bigger than any other HW fight they can put on. Francis has been getting big contracts since he left the UFC so he doesn't seem hard to negotiate with and this isn't the first time the UFC fumbles a deal

If so, Dana should do everything in his power to make it happen

Jones-Ngannou-696x392.jpg
I don t think so.

No, literally nobody would watch that fight. Even people on here are lying if they say they would.

Well you are just speculating a bunch of things and talking out of your ass like saying that Francis would want to renegotiate his deal after each fight. Guess what? You don't know that. Francis is actually better off because the Fury/Joshua fights are bigger than the Jones fight so Francis didn't lose anything, the UFC on the other hand lost their HW champ and lost Jones vs Francis which would be bigger than any other HW fight they can put on. Francis has been getting big contracts since he left the UFC so he doesn't seem hard to negotiate with and this isn't the first time the UFC fumbles a deal

It's not speculation sport! First, It's pretty straight forward contract negotiations at that level. Conor did just like that, Jones does it just like that and so do many boxers. Second, I actually have friends and clients who are in the industry here and in Vegas that called it exactly as such in terms of what Francis would do and why the UFC passed. If you can't see this then you no clue what you're talking about.

Francis is just fine and is getting the fights he wants right now. But he did miss on a big fight with Jones which would have done big things for his legacy as a mma fighter. Now, he's just a guy who won the belt and left. So not beating Jones certainly hurts his legacy. Like I said, both the UFC and Francis lost that fight.

The UFC didn't fumble anything sport. If they wanted to pay and give Francis what he wanted, they very well could have. They simply just chose not to. They didn't see the worth. And you can't argue that, they just didn't want to give Francis what he wanted as it wasn't worth for them. Why do you think the UFC didn't budge??

If it was happening now I think it would probably break 1 million buys, not sure how much more but I think the hype from Francis match with Fury would help a lot.

Francis is gonna go down as the only guy who defeated the ufc. He wanted more money. Said he was worth more money. Was told he was getting the best money. Listened to his instincts and went and made more money.

IMHO - Yes, it would shatter Conor's best PPV numbers.

That fight would also prove what the world already knows...​

In terms of buys? I doubt it. They’re not cracking Conor’s numbers at the height of his powers as far as numbers by mma guys goes imo.

Not even close. It would sell well, but Jones has never been a super star and Ngannou was never a star in MMA. Awesome fight and would do really well, but it wouldn't come close to a McGregor / Khabib card.

No because Jones is way out of his prime and Ngannou is not some long time defending champion.

Jones vs. Anderson years ago would be much bigger. Same with Anderson vs. GSP.

Francis is gonna go down as the only guy who defeated the ufc. He wanted more money. Said he was worth more money. Was told he was getting the best money. Listened to his instincts and went and made more money.

McGregor defeated the UFC in a sense. I mean he never really crossed them but he ascended beyond the brand and no longer needs it.

Back