Would Jon Jones vs Ngannou be the biggest fight in UFC history

It's not speculation sport! First, It's pretty straight forward contract negotiations at that level. Conor did just like that, Jones does it just like that and so do many boxers. Second, I actually have friends and clients who are in the industry here and in Vegas that called it exactly as such in terms of what Francis would do and why the UFC passed. If you can't see this then you no clue what you're talking about.

Francis is just fine and is getting the fights he wants right now. But he did miss on a big fight with Jones which would have done big things for his legacy as a mma fighter. Now, he's just a guy who won the belt and left. So not beating Jones certainly hurts his legacy. Like I said, both the UFC and Francis lost that fight.

The UFC didn't fumble anything sport. If they wanted to pay and give Francis what he wanted, they very well could have. They simply just chose not to. They didn't see the worth. And you can't argue that, they just didn't want to give Francis what he wanted as it wasn't worth for them. Why do you think the UFC didn't budge??
You are speculating by saying that Francis would do all these things after signing a new contract and there's now way you can prove that. Your friend in Las Vegas who told you so? Well my "friend" in Vegas told me you are full of shit lmao. Every athlete wants different things so no, it's not the same as Conor or Jones, unless you know the terms of their contracts, so it does look like you have no clue what you are talking about. Francis has always said his dream is to box and now he is boxing two world champions back to back, not fighting Jones doesn't hurt his legacy, he could've lost or he could've won, the fight just didn't happen and now Francis is living his dream. I guess the risk wasn't worth the reward for them, unfortunately the UFC lost the HW champion and what would've been the biggest HW fight they can put on right now

McGregor defeated the UFC in a sense. I mean he never really crossed them but he ascended beyond the brand and no longer needs it.
Well, Dana let him fight Floyd and cashed in. I think he actually needs the ufc because he is under contract. As long as he is under the ufc they own him.

But I’ll give you he does have better bargaining power than any other fighter.

You are speculating by saying that Francis would do all these things after signing a new contract and there's now way you can prove that. Your friend in Las Vegas who told you so? Well my "friend" in Vegas told me you are full of shit lmao. Every athlete wants different things so no, it's not the same as Conor or Jones, unless you know the terms of their contracts, so it does look like you have no clue what you are talking about. Francis has always said his dream is to box and now he is boxing two world champions back to back, not fighting Jones doesn't hurt his legacy, he could've lost or he could've won, the fight just didn't happen and now Francis is living his dream. I guess the risk wasn't worth the reward for them, unfortunately the UFC lost the HW champion and what would've been the biggest HW fight they can put on right now

LOL, my client is a agent who works with mma fighters in the UFC, so I think he knows what he's talking about. Of course it's speculation what Francis would do in attempting to renegotiate his deal after boxing. But that's just a risk the UFC was not willing to take. It's exactly what happened with Conor after he boxed Floyd. You're calling this speculation and BS, but yet exactly the same thing happened a few years ago with Conor.

It actually does hurt his legacy. He was HW champ and left the organization to fight lower level MMA fighters in a lower level promotion. Francis having a win over Jones would certainly make his legacy better. This is not really debatable.

Ngannou does not sell PPVs. Let's see if the Joshua fight gets any significant buys but I would bet no.

Jones biggest ppvs have been against DC and Gane. DC and Gane aren't draws on their own. The matchup is what sells. Jones v Ngannou would clearly be bigger than both those fights, it would be the biggest ppv of Jones career.

LOL, my client is a agent who works with mma fighters in the UFC, so I think he knows what he's talking about. Of course it's speculation what Francis would do in attempting to renegotiate his deal after boxing. But that's just a risk the UFC was not willing to take. It's exactly what happened with Conor after he boxed Floyd. You're calling this speculation and BS, but yet exactly the same thing happened a few years ago with Conor.

It actually does hurt his legacy. He was HW champ and left the organization to fight lower level MMA fighters in a lower level promotion. Francis having a win over Jones would certainly make his legacy better. This is not really debatable.
Doesn't seem like it about your "client" (lol) but I'm glad you're are admiting that you're just speculating a bunch of BS, saying Francis would do what Conor did is based on nothing other than an assumption on your part and there's no way you can prove it so your argument is paper-thin. If Francis lost to Jones, his legacy wouldn't have gained anything from it, him beating Jones wasn't a sure thing so yeah that's a weak argument, it's just a fight that didn't happened and Francis didn't lose nor gained anything in this situation, him going to PFL/Bellator is similar to Fedor going to Strikforce, UFC fans used to say it's lower level competition but then the Strikeforce fighters became champions when they joined the UFC after the merger lol

It will probably be in the top 5 UFC PPVs ever. I could even see it breaking the live gate of Khabib vs McGregor if the venue is MSG

Doesn't seem like it about your "client" (lol) but I'm glad you're are admiting that you're just speculating a bunch of BS, saying Francis would do what Conor did is based on nothing other than an assumption on your part and there's no way you can prove it so your argument is paper-thin. If Francis lost to Jones, his legacy wouldn't have gained anything from it, him beating Jones wasn't a sure thing so yeah that's a weak argument, it's just a fight that didn't happened and Francis didn't lose nor gained anything in this situation, him going to PFL/Bellator is similar to Fedor going to Strikforce, UFC fans used to say it's lower level competition but then the Strikeforce fighters became champions when they joined the UFC after the merger lol

Well, it's not a bunch of BS considering the UFC themselves saw this as a possibility and didn't want to deal with it. But fighters changing their contract and wanting more money is pretty normal. Conor and Jones are both examples of fighters who hold out and re-do their contracts for big fights. How does anyone not understand this?? Perhaps this might be a bit over your head, that's okay, move on junior.

If Francis lost to Jones, it would hurt his legacy. If he won, that would highly elevate his legacy. How do you not get this lol?? The path UFC and Francis wanted was Jones, then Stipe trilogy and Jones again. That would pretty cement him as one of the best HWs ever. Him leaving and fighting in PFL doesn't really do much for his legacy.

And no no no, Francis going to PFL is nothing like Fedor going to Strikefore, my god what an awful and stupid argument to make. Strikefore had top HWs when Fedor signed in Werdum, Overeem, Kharitonov, Arlovski, Bigfoot Silva, Josh Barnett. PFL has absolutely no one on that level.

Well, it's not a bunch of BS considering the UFC themselves saw this as a possibility and didn't want to deal with it. But fighters changing their contract and wanting more money is pretty normal. Conor and Jones are both examples of fighters who hold out and re-do their contracts for big fights. How does anyone not understand this?? Perhaps this might be a bit over your head, that's okay, move on junior.

If Francis lost to Jones, it would hurt his legacy. If he won, that would highly elevate his legacy. How do you not get this lol?? The path UFC and Francis wanted was Jones, then Stipe trilogy and Jones again. That would pretty cement him as one of the best HWs ever. Him leaving and fighting in PFL doesn't really do much for his legacy.

And no no no, Francis going to PFL is nothing like Fedor going to Strikefore, my god what an awful and stupid argument to make. Strikefore had top HWs when Fedor signed in Werdum, Overeem, Kharitonov, Arlovski, Bigfoot Silva, Josh Barnett. PFL has absolutely no one on that level.
Well you don't know want happened during their negotiations and there's also no way you can prove he would've done that, this just you assuming a bunch of BS about an imaginary situation. If you can prove all this things with actual facts then go ahead and do it right now. And why are you acting dumb? You just said losing to Jones would've hurt his legacy so there's no guarantee that fighting Jones or fighting past his prime Stipe would've added anything to his legacy, like I said, he didn't lose nor did he gained anything, his dream is to box and that's what he is doing. UFC fans used to say Strikeforce fighters were not on that level either and we saw what happened, only way to know is if they actually fought but there's no cross promotion, I think the UFC stopped cross promoting after their fighters got smashed in Pride

It would be the biggest MMA fight to date if they handled it right. Has an Ali/Frazier energy to it except Ngannou is more of a Big George Foreman.

Ali/Frazier energy in what sense? They’d struggle to crack 500k PPV buys let alone have the whole world watching

Would sell better than Jones/Gane did for sure. I would think 50% more even. But I don't feel like its the greatest fight we ever missed. It's Ngannou by KO or Jones by grind. For sure I think Lesnar/Fedor probably would've of been the best selling, but Silva/GSP would've been the best.

Well you don't know want happened during their negotiations and there's also no way you can prove he would've done that, this just you assuming a bunch of BS about an imaginary situation. If you can prove all this things with actual facts then go ahead and do it right now. And why are you acting dumb? You just said losing to Jones would've hurt his legacy so there's no guarantee that fighting Jones or fighting past his prime Stipe would've added anything to his legacy, like I said, he didn't lose nor did he gained anything, his dream is to box and that's what he is doing. UFC fans used to say Strikeforce fighters were not on that level either and we saw what happened, only way to know is if they actually fought but there's no cross promotion, I think the UFC stopped cross promoting after their fighters got smashed in Pride

Listen my friend, I don't think you quite get this, maybe it's a bit over your head. It's fine, we can move on and no need to keep going on and on.

On the topic of legacy. Yes, Francis certainly lost a lot by not staying in the UFC and fighting those guys. Now, if he lost then it would hurt his legacy. But if he won, then it cement him as one of the best HWs ever. It can't really be debated that him beating Jones and Stipe makes his resume and title run better. I mean how can it not?? It's the same thing with Khabib, by him leaving early it hurt his legacy.

You compared the Strikeforce HW division which was full of former Pride and UFC fighters. It's not the same thing. However, it's pretty clear the PFL HW division is not on the level of the UFC. All you have to do is look at their champions and roster. You to understand that beating Ferreia is not the same as beating Jones or Stipe.

With Ngannou's recent clout from his performance against Tyson Furty + Jon Jones...I think it could definitely rival a Conor card...but I don't see it surpassing Conor/Khabib.

Return to PFL?? When?? He's boxing in April and then wants to box again late year. Maybe 2026??

There is a huge problem in allowing him to box. Besides the obvious of him doing another sport and taking away from his contract in the UFC. The UFC learned from Conor. The problem is that if they let Francis box, he would come back after and demand more money and try and re-negotiate his deal. He would sit out and want more money. The UFC saw the problems down the line and didn't bother with it. Allowing him to box just opens up a whole different set of problems.
Finally! Someone on this God awful site with common sense.
Francis only wants to box.
UFC is an MMA business.
The fact that they were offering that much to begin with was a waste because he was only using that as a bargaining chip against the other promotions who were going to let him box.

With Ngannou's recent clout from his performance against Tyson Furty + Jon Jones...I think it could definitely rival a Conor card...but I don't see it surpassing Conor/Khabib.
<TrumpWrong1>
Not even friggin close.

Well you are just speculating a bunch of things and talking out of your ass like saying that Francis would want to renegotiate his deal after each fight. Guess what? You don't know that. Francis is actually better off because the Fury/Joshua fights are bigger than the Jones fight so Francis didn't lose anything, the UFC on the other hand lost their HW champ and lost Jones vs Francis which would be bigger than any other HW fight they can put on. Francis has been getting big contracts since he left the UFC so he doesn't seem hard to negotiate with and this isn't the first time the UFC fumbles a deal
You are extremely naive.

Jon said he would fight Francis since like 2021...but here we are and he still hasnt lobbied hard enough for this fight...if he doesnt truly wanna test himself then...

Listen my friend, I don't think you quite get this, maybe it's a bit over your head. It's fine, we can move on and no need to keep going on and on.

On the topic of legacy. Yes, Francis certainly lost a lot by not staying in the UFC and fighting those guys. Now, if he lost then it would hurt his legacy. But if he won, then it cement him as one of the best HWs ever. It can't really be debated that him beating Jones and Stipe makes his resume and title run better. I mean how can it not?? It's the same thing with Khabib, by him leaving early it hurt his legacy.

You compared the Strikeforce HW division which was full of former Pride and UFC fighters. It's not the same thing. However, it's pretty clear the PFL HW division is not on the level of the UFC. All you have to do is look at their champions and roster. You to understand that beating Ferreia is not the same as beating Jones or Stipe.
It's fine if you want to speculate a bunch of stuff, just don't act like these are facts that would've actually happened. Those fights would only help his legacy if he won, you said it yourself and him winning wasn't a guarantee. What if he got destroyed, KO'd and lost three fights in a row? His legacy would taken a hit so him leaving didn't hurt his legacy because we don't know what've actually happened in those fights. The Strikeforce roster was full of former UFC and Pride fighters yet it was Cormier who won the Grand Prix and went on to win 2 UFC belts, a homegrown Strikeforce fighter, name recognition doesn't automatically make you a better fighter. You know who else had his debut in Strikeforce? Cain, the UFC signed him when he only had 2 fights and he destroyed almost everyone. UFC fans would've called them no name bums who can't compete in the UFC if they stayed in Strikeforce, same thing some of them think about PFL/Bellator fighters but the truth is that there's a lot of talent in different promotions, all UFC fighters come from different promotions these days unless you are CM Punk

Back