Suggest an 'old classic' that gamers younger than you might not have heard of.

I never played too much of the getaway, but I loved the spin off on the PSP, Gangs of London. The mini games were crazy, good story too. It was janky, but you forgave that kind of stuff when you could play PS2 quality games on a handheld.

I just learned that the show Gangs of London is based on the game. Gareth Evans (director of the Raid movies) got the rights from Sony.

I think I'm going to fire the game back up and check out the show, heard it was good.

Anyway, here's Gangs of London, a def hidden gem on PSP, regardless of what Metacritic says. This is easy to pick up via PSP on the PPSSPP emulator.

I recently saw a copy of Alone in the Dark at Half Price Books. I was a little surprised because I never considered it a remembered classic. It was the predecessors to Silent Hill and Residence Evil games.
I think AitD is consider a classic. It had advanced sound effects for the time (foley like stuff). Great atmosphere too.

Of course, Silent Hill 2 is a classic, and a masterpiece.
lataus (81).jpeg

I still have fun playing games from my childhood like Centipede, Breakout and Bomberman. I love the 80s thing of just straight up ripping off another game, like with Breakout and Arkanoid. Or the slightly more dodgy knock off merchants, like Crime Busters, which reused loads of Spellbound's code without permission.

The Saboteur was a pretty good and underrated title released in 360/PS3 gen.

It's a GTA clone and you play as this Irish race car driver/agent in Paris set in WW2 and the production value for the time and story was pretty cool.

I think it still holds up.

It's a GTA clone and you play as this Irish race car driver/agent in Paris set in WW2 and the production value for the time and story was pretty cool.

I remember that one. I liked the silenced SMG. And the dodgy Oirish accent Robin Atkin Downes put on.

That and Velvet Assassin were both loosely based on real WWII spies. Definitely loosely, as both real spies ended up executed by the Germans.

Turrican games
Herzog Zwei
“Strike” games (urban/jungle)
Legend of Legaia
Eternal Champions
Cybernator

A fun classic to drink some beers to.

Attachments

• MV5BN2JhNjM1MWEtYzY5Mi00MDk3LTg0YWItNjk2ZWE3NjAzOWFlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA0MTM5NjI2._V1_.jpg
    MV5BN2JhNjM1MWEtYzY5Mi00MDk3LTg0YWItNjk2ZWE3NjAzOWFlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA0MTM5NjI2._V1_.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 1

I really enjoyed that game. Once you got lots of explosives, it was a real blast, mind the pun.

I always remember EA putting the topless dancers and a lap dance area behind a paywall/DLC for the console version, just to deter the used market, constant scumbags. It came with the PC version though.

sab4.jpg

Some of my favourite point and click adventure games
I got this as a gift back when I was a kid. Loved every single one of them, I still have that box in my house but no way to play it anymore sadly.

ca87aaf8-aba1-11ed-a519-02420a00019d.webp

I got this as a gift back when I was a kid. Loved every single one of them, I still have that box in my house but no way to play it anymore sadly.

ca87aaf8-aba1-11ed-a519-02420a00019d.webp

Loom hasn't aged well at all.

Not a super throwback like some of the ones in here (though I've been gaming since NES years), but I was really surprised this game didn't spawn any sequels or remakes. I had a lot of fun playing it and 12-13 year old me found it to be genuinely creepy (unlike RE, SH, etc):
Eternal_Darkness_box.jpg

Sorry if someone already responded to this but I just wanted to give my take. I played Eternal Darkness way back in '02. I immediately fell in love with it. I didn't find it as terrifying as the REmake but I don't think it was really supposed to be. It was supposed to be creepy, fun and most of all interesting, and it was a massive success in all of those feats.

To your musing about a sequel-- there was in fact a sequel planned. There were actually two different occasions in which a reboot was initiated, but both fell apart for different reasons.

The story of Silicon Knights is long and ultimately tragic. It revolves around the founder, Denis Dyack, a guy whose personality and style ultimately led to the company's demise, but was ironically also one of the reasons why the game was so good.

He was ambitious and had visions of how he would want something to turn out, but had difficulty in constructing the path to get to that outcome. What I eventually learned is that one of the most unique and compelling ideas in this game, the sanity meter, wasn't even his own-- it was Miyamoto's. It was startling but the more one thinks about it the more it makes sense; their two best games, Eternal Darkness and Twin Snakes, were developed during a time when SK was a second-party developer for Nintendo and Denis was working directly with Miyamoto himself.

The biggest problem with SK was their obsession with the best hardware. Eternal Darkness was actually supposed to come out on the N64. I don't think that particular work's delay was SK's fault, but what I do know is that Dyack's greatest ambition, Too Human, was started and restarted many, many times. It went through many different iterations and not just in terms of engines, but in theme-- Too Human was originally about a Bladerunner kind of universe, and you were an android, leveling up different aspects of your various body parts. It was in development for the Playstation, N64 and the GameCube as well before it was finally released on the 360.

When Denis heard about the plans for the Wii, that was when he decided to pack up and take SK to Microsoft which would prove to be the beginning of his downfall. He became insulted and defensive when Too Human was received in lukewarm fashion at E3 (I can't remember which one it was), and got it in his head that it was because of the engine-- Unreal 3 by Epic. He sued epic and lost. Epic then countersued and won, because he had been taking code from the engine and using it in unauthorized manner.

That was basically it. The company did not have the funds to even begin to pay what was awarded to Epic.

If you look around you'll see that Denis started so many projects, but just wasn't able to focus. If memory serves he was actually taking people off of the Xmen game they made to start on the Too Human sequel when the Xmen game was in dire need of supplemental labor and attention. The tragedy is that he is actually quite creative. But he needs a directing force to channel that creative energy properly-- Like Miyamoto.

If he had stuck with them, he could have made his original vision for Too Human on the Wii, with both the creative and financial support to realize his vision. It's really too bad because the original idea seems so much more interesting than the Norse direction he decided to take it after he went to MS.

Playstation Alpha
TH1.jpg

GameCube
TH2.png

Edit: The proposed sequel to Eternal Darkness was called Shadow of The Eternals

TH3.jpg

Last edited:
Back