• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Strickland vs Anderson / does it say anything about MW overall

Dionysian

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
So I was going to make this thread before Sean vs DDP but decided against it, since Sean's last fight was a title fight win I assumed everyone would say he beats any Anderson 100 out of 100 times.

Then I was going to make the thread after Sean lost to DDP, but then realized he just lost a SD title fight so everyone would say Anderson would win 100 out of 100 times.

I am hoping now that a little time has passed this is an appropriate time to get a more serious response. So here is the scenario:

UFC 293 Sean (the one that beat Izzy) vs UFC 153 Anderson (the one that beat Bonnar): who wins and how?

This is interesting to me from the stylistic standpoint. Sean's style (aggressive counter-counter striking) is really unlike anyone Anderson and his counter-striking ever faced. I picked UFC 153 for Anderson to have a bit of age on him but still reside in the "Matrix" era pre-Chris. The other interesting part of this question is what it'd reveal about how you feel about MW overall (if it has progressed, regressed, or remained at the same level) and really how you frame Izzy's career (and his reign relative to Anderson in context of their competition).

I thought you were talking about Corey Anderson. That's a much more interesting fight.

Peak Anderson Silva would out-point-fight Sean easily. Sean would be happy to keep shuffling forward and slapping away various punches and kicks but enough would get through that he would lose every round. He wouldn't get close enough to use his jab, and therefore would hardly connect on offense.

So I was going to make this thread before Sean vs DDP but decided against it, since Sean's last fight was a title fight win I assumed everyone would say he beats any Anderson 100 out of 100 times.

Then I was going to make the thread after Sean lost to DDP, but then realized he just lost a SD title fight so everyone would say Anderson would win 100 out of 100 times.

I am hoping now that a little time has passed this is an appropriate time to get a more serious response. So here is the scenario:

UFC 293 Sean (the one that beat Izzy) vs UFC 153 Anderson (the one that beat Bonnar): who wins and how?

This is interesting to me from the stylistic standpoint. Sean's style (aggressive counter-counter striking) is really unlike anyone Anderson and his counter-striking ever faced. I picked UFC 153 for Anderson to have a bit of age on him but still reside in the "Matrix" era pre-Chris. The other interesting part of this question is what it'd reveal about how you feel about MW overall (if it has progressed, regressed, or remained at the same level) and really how you frame Izzy's career (and his reign relative to Anderson in context of their competition).

Anderson Silva was absolutely fantastic in his prime.

Could KO people with a single punch, single elbow, single kick.

Multi-dimensional, absolutely creative.

Sean Strickland is precisely the opposite. Mediocre in every way.

Parry, parry, jab.
Parry, parry, front kick.

The two combatants should not ever be mentioned in the same sentence again, unless it's to point out extreme talent (Silva) versus extreme mediocrity (Strickland).

Andy's entire highlight reel is him provoking guys into brain farting (until he started to brain fart himself) - Sonnen 1 sub, Sonnen 2 spinning elbow, Bisping's knee, etc. He's a sneaky weasel with a nasty killer instinct. However, if guys are patient and stick to basics - he suddenly becomes kinda useless.

Watch Bisping vs Silva. Even after Bisping took the knee and was half dead in there, Andy couldn't finish him cause Michael was too patient and meat & potatoes to give Silva a chance. And Strickland I think is more patient in there than Bisping ever was (Bisping might be more durable, though).

Basically, Strickland vs Izzy is kinda how I think it would look. Just a straight forward point down. Andy might just blitz Sean with something unexpected, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Styles make fights and Strickland, I think, would be a shit match up for Silva.

Last edited:

Anderson beats Sean six days, actually six days a week. Five days a week, he beats him three days a week. One of those days, he beats him two days of the week. So, six days a week Sean beats Anderson.

If they fought 100 times I would go 60-40 split for Anderson Silva, only because he could knock people out in multiple ways.

He also had good submissions, and he was as accurate at that time, than anyone has ever been.
He did best when people were hunting him aggressively, and he always seemed able to find holes.

Sean doesn't leave a ton of holes which is what would make this fight interesting, but the more Sean came forward the more Anderson would figure out tbh.

Sean doesn't win some but I see it at about 40% in my eyes sir.

Last edited:
Andy's entire highlight reel is him provoking guys into brain farting (until he started to brain fart himself) - Sonnen 1 sub, Sonnen 2 spinning elbow, Bisping's knee, etc. He's a sneaky weasel with a nasty killer instinct. However, if guys are patient and stick to basics - he suddenly becomes kinda useless.

Watch Bisping vs Silva. Even after Bisping took the knee and was half dead in there, Andy couldn't finish him cause Michael was too patient and meat & potatoes to give Silva a chance. And Strickland I think is more patient in there than Bisping ever was (Bisping might be more durable, though).

Basically, Strickland vs Izzy is kinda how I think it would look. Just a straight forward point down. Andy might just blitz Sean with something unexpected, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Out of 100 times, you think Sean wins every one though sir?

Anderson Silva was absolutely fantastic in his prime.

Could KO people with a single punch, single elbow, single kick.

Multi-dimensional, absolutely creative.

Sean Strickland is precisely the opposite. Mediocre in every way.

Parry, parry, jab.
Parry, parry, front kick.

The two combatants should not ever be mentioned in the same sentence again, unless it's to point out extreme talent (Silva) versus extreme mediocrity (Strickland).
Kind of ironic a Poatan avatar guy calling out Sean for not being multi-dimensional enough.
Peak Anderson Silva would out-point-fight Sean easily. Sean would be happy to keep shuffling forward and slapping away various punches and kicks but enough would get through that he would lose every round. He wouldn't get close enough to use his jab, and therefore would hardly connect on offense.
So does this mean you think MW has regressed? And that Izzy is Anderson-lite?

Anderson beats Sean six days

So, six days a week Sean beats Anderson.
shake-head-white-guy.gif

Bisping vs Anderson is a decent corollary. Problem is that was during his decline/aging. Other problem is we never saw prime Anderson vs a person with "elite meat and potatoes" basics like Sean, or even more specifically that aggressive counter-counter style that Sean employs.

Kind of ironic a Poatan avatar guy calling out Sean for not being multi-dimensional enough.

So does this mean you think MW has regressed? And that Izzy is Anderson-lite?

Alex Pereira is 1000x more multidimensional than Strickland.

Did you actually watch the nuances of their fight together?

You might want to read some of the quotes Anderson Silva himself said about Alex Pereira, and how effing good he is, since the two are friends and training partners.

Here is a reminder for your dumb ass:

stats.JPG

Alex Pereira is 1000x more multidimensional than Strickland.

Did you actually watch the nuances of their fight together?

You might want to read some of the quotes Anderson Silva himself said about Alex Pereira, and how effing good he is, since the two are friends and training partners.

Here is a reminder for your dumb ass:

View attachment 1027788

Aren’t you like 60? arent elders meant to be respectful? Bad showing for the nursing home residents right here

At some point Anderson would time Sean and clip him and that would be the end of that.

But stylistically Sean matches up better than some might think. He has good, disciplined footwork, great kicking defense, a good jab to set up his offense etc. And assuming he doesn't get intimidated and sucked into the matrix, he might do well for a while. Untill he doesn't.

Using post leg break Silva in his 40s in a close dec with Bisping in this comparison tells everything we need to know about you

andy by UD

strickland's composure would make it hard for anderson to matrix him, but his arsenal is far too basic to win a point fight against the goat MW

Back