Why do people act like poirier is a good boxer?

He got pieced up and finished in the first fight, he got beat soundly in a pure boxing round until the leg kicks sunk in in the 2nd, and the third was weird cause mcgregor wasn’t fighting normally and initiated grappling

man vs boy, max on 6 weeks notice with love handles, poirier gassed and pushed max against the fence to save himself from getting finished
The first fight was when both were way more green, especially Dustin. Ever since he moved he really took it up a notch and became a way better fighter.
And no Dustin was catching Conor with the check hook all night in their rematch and it kept landing until Conor crumbled, it was a lot more then just the leg kicks. Dustin outboxed him.

I think he could have won a belt in boxing at one point, they have some scrubs that hold some of those belts.
I love you bro, but.....idk
1252995769.jpg.jpg

-1x-1.jpg

Dustin-Poirier.jpg

6c37c55bfc1f01fe03b87a024c44417b

Yes I get it, he won all of these fights (har har), but I hope you see what all of these have in common. The Ryan Garcia special.

He's a brawler
He's a little more than that, but he does always get sad when Teddy doesn't tell him what he wants to hear. In fact I'm almost certain Teddy has praised other MMA fighters boxing in front of DP, one of them being Max Holloway, lol. Even after he beat him at LW.
Max, Dustin, Ilia, Gaethje, O’Malley, Jack Della Madalena, Mcgregor, Yan, Song, Volk, Strickland, and Pereira are my current top mma boxers
Excellent list. Would be interested to see the way you tier even then these guys.

Last edited:
Not "especially Dustin".

Poirier had 19 fights prior to the McGregor-Poirier fight, Conor had 17.
Poirier had 10 fights in the UFC prior to the fight, Conor had 3.
He's evolved way more then Conor since that first fight.
Dustin really began hitting his peak and getting his bigger wins after moving up at lightweight where he managed to beat Alvarez, Chandler, Miller, Duffy, Ferreira, Green, Pettis, Gaethje, Holloway, Hooker and Conor twice.

So yes, Dustin was pretty green back then and became way better after that loss(entering his prime by returning to lightweight).

I don't think any of Dustin's past opponents beat him in a 12 round boxing match

Poirier can punch for sure
<seedat>

Teddy Atlas ranks Dustin's mma boxing very high, as some of the best, that should tell you something.

The first fight was when both were way more green, especially Dustin. Ever since he moved he really took it up a notch and became a way better fighter.
And no Dustin was catching Conor with the check hook all night in their rematch and it kept landing until Conor crumbled, it was a lot more then just the leg kicks. Dustin outboxed him.

Dustin established the TD threat early in both rematches. He didn't win with pure boxing or even striking. Conor's TD sucks and he had to fight around that.

Dustin was also feinting TD attempts and landing strikes thanks to that.

Yes this is MMA and Dustin is the better MMA fighter, but I don't think he's a better pure boxer than Conor.

I think he's good but they put him on this legendary all time best-esque pedestal which I never really understood

Back