Why do people act like poirier is a good boxer?

Do you know anything about boxing at all? By mma standards he is pretty good. The bar is pretty low compared to pro boxers that make multi millions per fight and don't have to worry about being taken down or leg kicked.

I dont see that as such a laughable take. It depends on how many legends you think yhe sport can host. He's obviously not in the discussion for best of all time, but he's certainly an important figure in the history of mma.

He's fought for the title 3 times, won one (interim), beaten big names/former Champs like Gaethje, Holloway, McGregor, Alvarez and Chandler.

I think he qualifies for legend status, if you use a fairly loose but still reasonable definition of the word legend.
That’s fair.

He got pieced up and finished in the first fight, he got beat soundly in a pure boxing round until the leg kicks sunk in in the 2nd, and the third was weird cause mcgregor wasn’t fighting normally and initiated grappling

man vs boy, max on 6 weeks notice with love handles, poirier gassed and pushed max against the fence to save himself from getting finished
It’s nearly been a decade since their first fight, I don’t think it’s relevant anymore

He’s by far the best boxer in ufc he leg kicked Conor pretty hard

Smh

Mmm, maybe because he’s won a lot of tough fights with his hands?

For reference… Cain. Was Cain Velasquez a good boxer?…ugh no…but in MMA devastating with his hands.

a lot of cope in this thread, there are many decent boxers in mma

JDM, yan, yadong, sandhagen, o'malley.. the list goes on

now, dont get me wrong, he's decent on the offense, has good instincts and what not, but he simply lacks the footwork to be considered a GOOD mma boxer

dude fluries forward and that's it, he also goes to the body less than he should, too much of a head hunter sometimes

he is just what i would call: a skilled brawler(like gaethje, chandler, paulo costa, cannonier and many others)

he is a good mma striker, dont get me wrong

but people here talk about him like he's some great boxer when all he does is blitzes throwing looping hooks

he also has old fedor levels of head hunting, cant throw a body shot to save his life

He's not a good boxer.

He's a very good MMA striker.

he is a good mma striker, dont get me wrong

but people here talk about him like he's some great boxer when all he does is blitzes throwing looping hooks

he also has old fedor levels of head hunting, cant throw a body shot to save his life

I don't think pure technical boxing actually works in MMA (I'm no striking expert though).

Looping hooks are great in MMA because the opponent can't block most parts of their head with 16 oz gloves.

These kinds of threads always have a relative answer. A good boxer in what context? I'd say he's pretty good for MMA.

I only read the first page, so I can't say for sure,
but it warmed my heart to see that sherdog appears to still be able to respond appropriately to gibberish.

He got pieced up and finished in the first fight, he got beat soundly in a pure boxing round until the leg kicks sunk in in the 2nd, and the third was weird cause mcgregor wasn’t fighting normally and initiated grappling

man vs boy, max on 6 weeks notice with love handles, poirier gassed and pushed max against the fence to save himself from getting finished

It's weird that someone would devote that much energy to attempting to prove that Poirier is a lousy fighter.

I would pay much money to see Ron take one hard shot from Poirier. Any shot, but Dustin has to guarantee that he will throw it with the worst intentions. And, Ron is permitted to attempt defense, to make Dustin set it up. Money rondante. Let's go baby.

The first fight was when both were way more green, especially Dustin. Ever since he moved he really took it up a notch and became a way better fighter.
And no Dustin was catching Conor with the check hook all night in their rematch and it kept landing until Conor crumbled, it was a lot more then just the leg kicks. Dustin outboxed him.

I made it to page 3.

IMO, the accurate assessment is Dustin ducked the expected shot, but not well enough, it caught him behind the ear, which is like the #2 KO button in MMA history.

#1 - distal lower jawline
#2 - behind the ear

He’s a boxer-puncher with moderate power, throws high volume like a MMA Kelly Pavlik, very exciting in fights against Hooker, Gaethje and Holloway. His head movement and footwork are a step above most in mma, his boxing is high-level, that might be why they act like he’s a good boxer, he is.

Back