Paulo Costa seems to be genuinely surprised that he didn't win

Lmao no. If you think this you just don't know what you're watching when it comes to fighting. The fight had a very clear winner and if you can't see it you're just dumb, sorry.
When two lions get into it, to me the loser is the one that walks away from it with his face torn up.

But like I said, I know you salad tossers love Rob and his point karate style and punches that do no damage so whatever.

I mean it was a fairly close fight but Rob definitely won rds 2 and 3

When two lions get into it, to me the loser is the one that walks away from it with his face torn up.

But like I said, I know you salad tossers love Rob and his point karate style and punches that do no damage so whatever.
It’s a Sherdog thing to shit on Costa. If the roles were he the otherway around, people would be crying for Hobbery.

I like Rob, but Costa is the one from this matchup, whos next fight I’m more looking forward to.

He won the fight, but lost the MMA match. We've seen this before.
People believe cuts on your face mean more than actually getting your brain rattled where you have a good poker face and don't show it, so fans scoff those strikes off as mostly insignificant by comparison. (I am not saying it was the case in this fight.... just something I have observed over the years when it comes to superficial damage and how it's generally viewed by fans)

This happens a lot in the UFC and you have to wonder how bad the corners are for not relaying better information to the fighters. Everyone but Costa and apparently his corner knew Whittaker was winning.

I think Whittaker won the fight but Costa did great and his stock went up. Imo it wasn’t really Costas job to win this fight, not many of us expected him to. It was his job to show he can still compete with the elite fighters and he proved that by making it a tough grind of a fight and nearly knocking Whittaker out. Hes still a contender imo

Last edited:
He posted this on Twitter now, saying that he was only touched a little by Rob:

And in a previous tweet that there's already a thread on, he said the following:

“Congrats Hob on your victory, you did a very good job and organized that. And I just feel I damaged him very well, you know? Only jabs, but I should have connected more hands on him. Pressure a bit more. But that’s it...
I'm feeling my prime. I don’t feel worse, but maybe a lack of [being] competitive inside the cage. My fight mindset was not so accurate. I thought I was winning the third round but I wasn’t, so yeah. I'm so down, could have pressured a bit more, but these are small details. I will fix off these details to be back and not commit to the same mistakes again.”

Also, on instagram he posted this:

So it would seem that he's basically saying that he didn't feel any need to more in round 3, but in hindsight he realizes that he should have landed more volume. "If only I knew, there would have been more activity".

Thoughts about these statements?

The damage you did in round 1 doesn’t count in rounds 2, or 3 too, buddeh. Each round is a new 5 minute fight. It’s just that you are starting these “new 5 minute fights”. While already showing damage. But it doesn’t count against you, in the new 5 minute fight.

How do pro fighters not know this? Or is it just a coping mechanism?

LOOK at his face.

Yes, if he didn't land the single most damaging and meaningful exchange of the entire fight...

lmao never change sherdog
Yeah if he didn't have the 1 instance in the entire 15 minutes, he wouldn't have won a single round..... lol never change Sherdog is right.

The Whittaker nuthuggers on this forum make me sick, I don't feel like that fight was a robbery, but to ridicule Costa for thinking he won is nonsense. The fight could have easily gone either way, every round was close and competitive and Costa inflicted more damage and came closest to finishing the fight.
You apparently missed the part where Rob landed about 40 more strikes? Considerably outstriking your opponent tends to sway the judges for some reason :rolleyes:

Lmao no. If you think this you just don't know what you're watching when it comes to fighting. The fight had a very clear winner and if you can't see it you're just dumb, sorry.
There is no universal standard that determines who won a fight, there are official scoring criteria, but anyone is free to make their own criteria. If I was in a fight with someone and busted their face up, but they landed a bunch of weak arm punches to tally up the scorecards, I would think to myself 'I won that fight'. Saying stuff like this just makes you sound like a clown

Clear 2-1 Rob. The first round was Rob as well, until Costa landed that wheel kick. Easy fight to score.

Costa looked the best he has since the Romero fight, though.

Hmm so Rob looks his best when he gets busted up? Interesting.

There is no universal standard that determines who won a fight, there are official scoring criteria, but anyone is free to make their own criteria. If I was in a fight with someone and busted their face up, but they landed a bunch of weak arm punches to tally up the scorecards, I would think to myself 'I won that fight'. Saying stuff like this just makes you sound like a clown

Agree with this. If this was say a street fight ... everyone with Robs face would feel they lost. That's gonna be a costly hospital bill.

You apparently missed the part where Rob landed about 40 more strikes? Considerably outstriking your opponent tends to sway the judges for some reason :rolleyes:
No I didn't miss Whittaker landing a bunch of insignificant strikes in his typical point karate style. I also didn't miss how much damage he took and how his face looked after the fight.

maxresdefault.jpg

Meanwhile Costa looked like he got into an small physical altercation with his girlfriend.

1708376733370.jpeg

They both landed some heavy leg kicks.

Anyway, I'm not here screaming robbery, I said I had no problem with Whittaker getting the decision.

But this stupid narrative that Costa is delusional for believing he won a close fight where he managed to inflict more visible damage and also had the most significant moment of the fight, is just blatant fanboyism for the more popular fighter.

Clear 2-1 Rob. The first round was Rob as well, until Costa landed that wheel kick. Easy fight to score.

Costa looked the best he has since the Romero fight, though.
No he didn't

Looked way better against vettori

Costa is done stop deluding yourselves

The fight was more close than what people were saying
It was close. Everyone just hates Costa (well deserved hate btw) and loves Whitaker. We all love Whitaker but that was a close fight. Both stocks went up in my opinion

If the roles were reversed everyone would be screaming robbery

Ehh he lost but he looked alright. Pretty much cemented his spot in the rankings right where he is. He did a better job than Vettori did against Rob.

Back