Paulo Costa seems to be genuinely surprised that he didn't win

Damn Costa can take a punch well. Some of those punches looked very powerful and he was just eating them.

No I didn't miss Whittaker landing a bunch of insignificant strikes in his typical point karate style. I also didn't miss how much damage he took and how his face looked after the fight.

maxresdefault.jpg

Meanwhile Costa looked like he got into an small physical altercation with his girlfriend.

View attachment 1030576

They both landed some heavy leg kicks.

Anyway, I'm not here screaming robbery, I said I had no problem with Whittaker getting the decision.

But this stupid narrative that Costa is delusional for believing he won a close fight where he managed to inflict more visible damage and also had the most significant moment of the fight, is just blatant fanboyism for the more popular fighter.

...is just blatant fanboyism
...or someone who knows how scoring works within the sport of MMA.

Some people mark up very easily from strikes while others don't. Rob hit Costa with some big shots but he has a cinderblock head and just ate them.

All of the damage on Whittaker’s face occurred in the 1st round. After that, Costa really didn’t land anything of note…

To be fair, neither did Whittaker, but he clearly did more than Costa in the 2nd and 3rd.

People believe cuts on your face mean more than actually getting your brain rattled where you have a good poker face and don't show it, so fans scoff those strikes off as mostly insignificant by comparison. (I am not saying it was the case in this fight.... just something I have observed over the years when it comes to superficial damage and how it's generally viewed by fans)
You make a valid point. I forget that at times.

I thought Whittaker won but he does have a point about how Rob looks way worse.

This guy will disappear for another year and a half and only stay relevant on Twitter/Instagram

Yes, if he didn't land the single most damaging and meaningful exchange of the entire fight...

lmao never change sherdog
Yeah but that only counts for 1 round so who cares he went on to lose the rest of the rounds. Cejudo landed the most significant strike in the fight against against Merab also in R1 and went on to lose.

rob really let his foot off the gas and slowed down a lot in the 3rd round. costa actually looked fresher at the end.

Most important for Costa is a quick turnaround. He has been too inactive

If he manages tonget himself on to the ppv in rio he will smash somebody

Defective batch of secret juice?

Most important for Costa is a quick turnaround. He has been too inactive

If he manages tonget himself on to the ppv in rio he will smash somebody
Hope he manages in tonget.. He'll lick everyone....

terry-crews-whiet-chicks.gif

It was close and coul've gone either way, not a robbery.

All rounds were super close and competitive. Great fight! I think judges actually scored it correctly

read it again

Costa looked better against Vettori after missing weight by 20 lbs??
He was beating the shit out of vettori, landing flush body kicks, vicious body shots, it's just Vettori is a walking heavy bag . I don't understand why people shit on that fight, if Rob took the same shots Vettori did he would be in a coma

He definitely got the moment of the fight with that glorious SBK but after that idk I don’t think he put the work in to get the dub.

His stock most certainly didn’t go down though he looked very composed and methodical and his kicks were on point.

Back