Did DC's eye pokes really affect the first stipe match?

Again, Stipe's KO came after a sustained beating, not right afterward, like DC's.

He blinded DC, Cormier and Stipe were tied going into round 3, and then Stipe took over after DC couldn't see in the third.
Stipe won all the rounds after the eye poke, although one judge gave DC another round after the poke.

DC's eye literally went lazy and shut off after the poke, it would have been a no contest/draw if DC told the ref he couldn't see. (might have gone to the scorecards with one round a piece).

He blinded DC, Cormier and Stipe were tied going into round 3, and then Stipe took over after DC couldn't see in the third.
Stipe won all the rounds after the eye poke, although one judge gave DC another round after the poke.

DC's eye literally went lazy and shut off after the poke, it would have been a no contest/draw if DC told the ref he couldn't see. (might have gone to the scorecards with one round a piece).
Yes the eyepoke led to DC's loss.

It totally wasn't his well documented weakness to body shots and championship rounds.

Because I don't. Stipe was doing it too and DCs boxing looked a lot better in that fight than in the next two fights. Two all time greats. Not saying DC is better but I think he won the first fight fair and square.
You asked "Did DC's eye pokes really affect the first stipe match?"
Saying "Stipe was doing it too" is moronic. The fight was stopped due to an eye poke. DC clearly throws a hand out towards Stipe with he thumb out and twists it into Stipe's left eye. Goddard said "I have already told you THREE times". FYI that was the side that the KO punch came from. As they say its the ones you don't see coming. Watch this replay

KO happens only moments later. But maybe the eye pokes didn't have any effect.

Pretty bad but Stipe got one back and did way more damage, dude jammed the whole finger in DC's eye socket lol.

No, cormier did the worst damage. Miocic needed surgery for a torn retina. Cormier did not.

Yes the eyepoke led to DC's loss.

It totally wasn't his well documented weakness to body shots and championship rounds.

I mean, it's fair to say that if the first DC vs. Stipe's outcome was influenced by a eye poke, so was the third. No one knows how 2 eyed DC would do vs. 1 eyed DC going into the final 3 rounds, especially since it wasn't like those rounds were that far apart.

Stipe will always have that second clean win over DC though.

No, cormier did the worst damage. Miocic needed surgery for a torn retina. Cormier did not.

Long-term wise DC did more damage, but fight wise? You can see with a torn retina, although probably blurry, DC's vision was gone.

DC fought shady in that fight, but even if he were deducted 2 points, he knocked Stipe out legitimately in the first round. He also landed the same shot on him numerous times in their 3rd bout, just DC didn't get the ko then.

The eyepokes were pretty ridiculous, but Stipe was koed on the opposite side from where he was poked and it was from a short range punch anyway. I don't think the eyepokes can completely be said to be responsible for him losing that first fight.

DC would have knocked Stipe out that night either way. Stipe only adjusted to the collar tie punch combo by the second fight. In the first fight he had no answer for it and didn't even see it coming.
This. Exactly why I made this thread because it seems the narrative about DCs victory is unfairly tarnished on here. I'm not even a huge fan of him.

I also remember GSP blatantly kicking Hughes in the nuts twice in their second fight. But I don't think it would have affected the outcome. People don't ever give him any shit.

Biggest thing was stipe coming g back quick after the frank fight which iirc he got wobbled

How could you possibly say DC is "better" than Stipe ... when he lost twice to Miocic ... after his first dubious win right after a foul?

Stipe's wins were legit.
Yeah and as much as DC fans will pretend that stipe poked him back and had him lose the trilogy, the round after he got poked was the only round he won lol

Back