Did DC's eye pokes really affect the first stipe match?

No more than Stipe's eyepoke immediately before the KO affected DC.

If you’ve ever been poked in the eye, you know for sure how they affect the outcome. Those who do it on purpose are fucking scumbags.

If I had to give that trilogy a nickname it would be "An Eye For An Eye."

<Ellaria01>

This is the only time I've seen two championship level fighters consistently try to ice-cream scoop each other's eyeballs out while pretending it's completely accidental every time it happens.

I don't see how anyone can watch some of Jones or Cormier's last couple of fights and not think that they are blatantly throwing out eye poke attempts. DC would literally hold his fingers on both hands outstretched constantly. And Jones would rake the eyes of a few opponents who would complain to useless referees.

Pretty bad but Stipe got one back and did way more damage, dude jammed the whole finger in DC's eye socket lol.

The Damage DC sustained in the third fight was partly showing before Stipe even Poked him in the eye. Stipe had DC rocked right before the end of the round before the eyepoke even occurred and you could see the damage on his face was showing from that point.

Last edited:
Because I don't think they would have changed the result . Stipe was doing it too and DCs boxing looked a lot better in that fight than in the next two fights. Two all time greats. Not saying DC is better but I think he won the first fight fair and square.
Poke yourself in the eye and then get into a fist fight. Tell us how it turns out for you.

I don't see how anyone can watch some of Jones or Cormier's last couple of fights and not think that they are blatantly throwing out eye poke attempts. DC would literally hold his fingers on both hands outstretched constantly. And Jones would rake the eyes of a few opponents who would complain to useless referees.
I also blame the refs for allowing it and not taking points/ DQ’ing them. They needed to suffer some consequences and never did so they continued doing it.

Not only did he poke his eye, he did it away from the ref and then quickly followed up. That's why I was, for once, glad to see Stipe return the favor in the next fight.

DC would have knocked Stipe out that night either way. Stipe only adjusted to the collar tie punch combo by the second fight. In the first fight he had no answer for it and didn't even see it coming.
Maybe he didn’t see it coming because he got poked in the eye..

Maybe, but Stipe paid him back in the hematch.

Both dudes made Juicehead Jones proud with their retinal skewering skills.
giphy.gif

This gif still gets me every time I look at it.

We'll never know for certain, but:

1. DC very clearly poked Stipe on purpose. He literally kept jabbing his fingers directly at Stipe's eyes and had already been warned 3 times by the ref.
2. The poke happened with 1:09 left in the round. DC dropped Stipe with a punch to the damaged eye exactly 40 seconds later.

Coincidence? You be the judge. There's been a lot of talk about Jones being a dirty fighter (which he is), but DC is also an incredibly dirty fighter.

DC is a dirty fighter... he's said this many times in interviews. "I'm a dirty dog" " I've got all kinds of dirty tricks". He's blatantly poking him in the eye many times, there's video showing it's def repeated and on purpose. I wouldn't mind his bullshit as much if he didn't act like a boyscout.

He eyepoked, he cheated to make weight, but in the end Justice was served... got his ass handled in the rematch, TWICE. Fuck daniel Cormier glad he lost to jones twice too

If I had to give that trilogy a nickname it would be "An Eye For An Eye."

<Ellaria01>

This is the only time I've seen two championship level fighters consistently try to ice-cream scoop each other's eyeballs out while pretending it's completely accidental every time it happens.
Followed by years of both fanbases saying only the other guys eye pokes were unfair.

Yes. Maybe Struve vs Miocic too.

Back