• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

International Active US Air Force member self-immolates outside Israel Embassy in Washington

I've been so reticent to bring up this point but it's such an obviously good one.... Martyrdom wether motivated by religion or not can be a supreme act of love for one's culture, society, country, etc.
The idea of limiting the good this man did to a very narrowly defined specific set of outcomes is ridiculous and unrealistic too.

It's also really sad that our culture can lose so much love that it can't understand a self-sacrifice like what this man "may" have done.

He has already done more good than you ever will on this topic for instance. Just arguing about it on sherdog...

People that try to do good in the world have to think of it in very small terms. If what I have done even affects one person and makes them live better my effort has been worth it. But there is no doubt even just based on this thread that he's already affected deeply at least three people and made them think and contemplate and come to a deeper place.

You can personally think that isn't worth his life. And you can think he is just plain wrong about Israel... but that really has no bearing on the good that he did and his motivations and his perceptions.
Holy crap . . . ho-lee crap.

Well it’s not that ironic since clearly they don’t. The IDF doesn’t seem to care much either. I wouldn’t lie and say that.
@Rob Battisti suggested that this man would be killed by Hamas if he simply went to Gaza… sounds ridiculous on its face but maybe I’m wrong.

Do you ALSO claim that a white man in Gaza would be automatically killed? Does Hamas go around killing people visiting Palestine?

I'm a Christian. So renouncing my faith doesn't make sense to me. Just as self immolation makes even less sense.
You can see how people would think that you’re “crazy,” and that you were simply “confused” (maybe even brainwashed), right?

i saw the video and wish i hadn't. poor guy. this is a sick world.

edit: and for anyone who hasn't seen it, don't. you don't know what it really feels like to see someone burn alive right in front of you until you actually do, and it's a sickening feeling.
Yeah, it can be a mind fuck. There's a bit of a safety net for your sanity because he did it himself, and wasn't some prisoner begging for his life before he was lit up, but it's still a very ugly sight that could fuck you up.

I'm glad I got all that "curiosity" out of my system back in the day, when the internet was fresh. Rotten.com purged all that desire out of my system. No thanks.

Holy crap . . . ho-lee crap.
Dude believes he was once visited by aliens through a portal in his ceiling, and believes in an inter dimensional Bigfoot, who leaves footprints from the Matrix.

Just sayin'. Don't be shocked at his hot takes. He's far crazier than you know.

Dude believes he was once visited by aliens through a portal in his ceiling, and believes in an inter dimensional Bigfoot, who leaves footprints from the Matrix.

Just sayin'. Don't be shocked at his hot takes. He's far crazier than you know.
he's also a christian liberal, who supports gay marriage

kinda like our resident conservative lawyer who only supports liberal ideals

I've never known a lawyer who spends their days on a forum moderating. I have two business lawyers and I have one I used in a case where I was busted with pot. they all are in the same firm; one is a Partner. none of them have time to browse a fucking forum.

he's also a christian liberal, who supports gay marriage
....but doesn't support promoting homosexuality. Make that make sense.

It's why I call him the Clayton Bigsby of leftists. He's so passionate about leftist politics, but contradicts himself every time he opens his mouth. He's like a Priest who sports the rainbow, while giving a sermon on how homosexuality is damaging to society.

I think Pan is just dishonest and trolls as a thought experiment. That other guy is fucking loony toons crazy.

That was a stupid thing to do and he had to be batshit crazy.

I can guarantee he regreated it before he died. The pain, the panic and the realization of the act before he went out. It's a terrible way to die.

As someone that set himself on fire accidentally in a much smaller way I can tell you it's a hell of a thing.

I was lucky in the extreme as I was not badly injured. Luckily I had water in a ditch nearby to dive into and roll around and it was winter so I had heavy clothes on.

That was a stupid thing to do and he had to be batshit crazy.

I can guarantee he regreated it before he died.
Ya think? He was clearly driven mad by social media, and probably thought he'd see himself on the news in the morning, after he was quickly put out by security. I highly doubt he actually thought he was gonna die, or at the very least, thought he would be able to ignore the pain and just stand there and take it, like the guy on his RATM album cover.

As to your latter point, yeah. A minor burn is bad enough, even if it's just a finger, let alone your whole body. Lighting yourself on fire...holy fuck. No thanks.

I'm a Christian. So renouncing my faith doesn't make sense to me. Just as self immolation makes even less sense.
Born again believers do commit suicide. It is not an unforgivable sin the only unforgivable sin is blasphame of the Holy Spirit. Even Christians have problems. We all have problems.

do you realize that nearly all the disciples sacrificed their lives for their beliefs? and that martyrdom has a long and revered history in Christianity? martyrdom is definitely a revered act in Christianity.

do you realize that nearly all the disciples sacrificed their lives for their beliefs? and that martyrdom has a long and revered history in Christianity? martyrdom is definitely a revered act in Christianity.
no it is not

I was raised Roman Catholic, not once was I taught martyrdom was heroic or a good thing. especially self induced. you are just either a troll or simply retarded. suicide is not looked fondly upon by God. you destroyed what he created. why don't you go back to washing the gays feet, and leave actual

no it is not

I was raised Roman Catholic, not once was I taught martyrdom was heroic or a good thing. especially self induced. you are just either a troll or simply retarded. suicide is not looked fondly upon by God. you destroyed what he created. why don't you go back to washing the gays feet, and leave actual
Christianity to the actual Christians

Back