• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

*** Anthony Joshua vs. Francis Ngannou Aftermath Discussion MEGA THREAD ***

Hopefully he saves his money. This is most likely the beginning of the end.

Looks that way now. He could have made similar money in the same amount of time fighting Gane, Jones and then Pavlovich or Aspinall if he won all 3 and stayed champ, but kinda looks like he probably wouldn't have. His grappling was only slightly better than Gane's, which we now know is horrifying bad, so Jones could have taken his time on the feet and then gotten a TD and then done what he wanted with him on the ground, and Aspinall might be too quick for him too and could also sub him.
Francis' own team said they didn't want to sign the UFC's contract which was worth $24M entirely because Jones was up first and had an incredibly large chance of winning, which drops them out of the extremely high champion pay the UFC was offering him of $8M/fight.

They were always doing the "conservative" route by securing these high guranteed paydays in boxing and PFL.

Ferreira ends ngannous career, if Ngannou even fights again. Heard it here first.

Yeah, big fan of Francis actually, but I can’t really feel bad for him getting embarrassed like that simply because the dude got paid. He lost badly, but he won at the end of the day. He got to stick to his guns throughout all of this and got paid well doing so. (Unlike many others who go down with their pride when fighting back)

.. He just had to get brutally KO’d in the process. Hey, can’t win everywhere I suppose lol.
Yeah, he went into boxing and fought 2/3 top guys back to back. He got SD in one and brutally KO'd in the other...but lots of guys with far longer boxing resumes have been flatlined by Joshua. Nothing to be ashamed of, but he should probably just take the PFL fight and retire (if he loses) or defend 1-2 times (then retire). He made good money and really, outside of a Jones fight that will never happen, what else is out there. He is too old for a serious run in boxing and fighting someone like Parker and Zhang isn't going to bring in the big paychecks.

Switching to southpaw was the biggest mistake. The first knockdown happened as soon as he switched to southpaw. His corner should've made the adjustment.

This was a big reality check for him, his team, and us all.
In MMA you can get away with stance switching due to cross dominance for punches, kicks, etc. In boxing unless you're Marvin Hagler or Terence Crawford you're going to get fucked up

Talk about extreme luck, imagine if Francis fought Joshua first instead of Fury. None of this circus show would've been happening

True, but not really lucky. It's not in Joshua's character to take risks like Fury does. It was only attractive for Joshua to take a fight with Ngannou when most people thought Ngannou had beaten Fury. Then Joshua saw enough reward to risk it. No matter how much people want to pretend certain outcomes are inevitable, in reality it's a fight with two extremely dangerous guys and there most certainly is a lot of risk when someone slips up even a little.

I agree with the money part. I do believe these guys also think they can hang with or beat High level boxers.
Of course fighters think they can beat anyone else. Otherwise they wouldnt do it.

No one would give you 3 bucks for that though ahahah
Unfortunately.

crying-meme.gif

Lmfao
Looks that way now. He could have made similar money in the same amount of time fighting Gane, Jones and then Pavlovich or Aspinall if he won all 3 and stayed champ, but kinda looks like he probably wouldn't have. His grappling was only slightly better than Gane's, which we now know is horrifying bad, so Jones could have taken his time on the feet and then gotten a TD and then done what he wanted with him on the ground, and Aspinall might be too quick for him too and could also sub him.
you’re on drugs. Did you get hit in the head or Francis ?

Lol he made 30 mill plus. He wouldn’t sniff that in the ufc.

Nah, I don't think so. He already burned that bridge with Uncle Dana & crew, and he sure isn't getting any younger. He'll fuck around in the PFL a short while and probably retire filthy rich. Sucks knowing that this will likely be his last big moment in the minds of fight fans... getting brutally KTFOd.

Man, you're right. This is probably the last time anybody outside of hardcore mma fans will see him fight. That's crazy.

I agree with the money part. I do believe these guys also think they can hang with or beat High level boxers.
Wouldn't you if you knocked down a HW champ in your first boxing fight? Takes a seriously built different individual to not get gassed up from accomplishing something like that

Francis' own team said they didn't want to sign the UFC's contract which was worth $24M entirely because Jones was up first and had an incredibly large chance of winning, which drops them out of the extremely high champion pay the UFC was offering him of $8M/fight.

They were always doing the "conservative" route by securing these high guranteed paydays in boxing and PFL.

You’re faulting Francis for going for 30 mill guaranteed vs some 13 fight deal?

You do realize Francis had contract issues before Jon was even a heavyweight? He had been trying to get out after the first stipe fight

LOL

why would this end that????

Explain.

Jake Paul has no shortage of opponents.

As long as the pot of gold is at the end of the rainbow, wherever and whatever sport it is, people will try to go for it. Francis simply stands out because he was a world champion who relibquished his belt to go for the money

Anyone could be lured away by that kind of money.
I said "professional boxing" lol at Jake Paul.

Back